Free Visas For 2010 Said Tourism And Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa

dom samui

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have today got confirmation and verified that the free tourist visas will continue in 2010.

/George

yuhoo

I love Friday - a thing of Beauty! Good news and which site(s) can we get the full monty on updates to visas?

Thanks,

Brewsta

:)I opened the thread this morning and i now have even better news for those of you who are speaking about the number of tourist expected for 2010: ( But i want to be awarded best TV OP of the Century, yes, nothing less ( don't forget to vote for me ok?))

More than 150 billion people are expected to come to Thailand in 2010 for travel.

And i demonstrate :

News come from :

Official news of K. Boonsong Lipimas

News ID: 255301150037

For NNT National News Bureau of Thailand

236 Wiphawadee Rd. Dindaeng Bangkok. 10400

See also that NNT writes on it's website : they are not responsible for the content of external internet sites !!!! (And what about their own one????)

Have a look at http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255301150037

Georges sorry but cannot wait for your answer anymre!

:D:D:D

"Mr Chumpol on Thursday reported that the number of tourists last year exceeded the target of 14 million people"

Where were they?

Can anybody confirm these figures?

Continuation of "free" visa, can't see that would make much of a difference.

Well they are not in Hua Hin or Cha Am, its as quiet a a morgue here

i just read a bit all u say guys....... but not so much coz its allways the same people who talked here...

in all case Thailand dont care about US (staying-living in thailand), they just want to give opportunities to toutists who wants to stay in thailand for more than a month.............

But they are about 14 000 000 maybe more........... what we are us living here since 5-6-7 years, nothing (2-3 000)

consedering thius, they dont have any problems about us............

i got myself a red stamp in vientiane on my last ask for double entry.... i had allready 8 tourist visas on my passport and 3 entry free............ now i have got a RED stamp on my second entry to thailand, only the date ????? what does it mean ????

can i extend this visa or must i leave the country at the RED date stamp ???????????????

Any ideas ????????

ps : sorry for my maybe bad english but i am french .......... living in thailand on tourist visas since 6 years................ ola

Are there any statistics on how many of the total visitors actually need a visa from the embassy,

and will benefit from this scheme?

I admire your positivism Astral :D

But.... :D ..if the "Office of Tourism Development"* is not even able to provide correct and fast (within 3 months or so) statistics for "normal" tourism how could we possibly know about statistics for visitors who need a visa from Embassies, worldwide?

The TAT does no longer provide tourism statistics. It's now called an institute by the name of the Office of Tourism Development who supplies statistics in the most childish way a website builder could possibly build a website:

http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...iew&id=3122 they have -SO FAR- published the details of the first 3 months 0f 2009....is that fast or what?

here details from the year 2008 v. 2007

International Tourist Arrivals to Thailand by Nationality:

January > December 2008 versus 2007:

THAILANDInternational_Tourist_Arrivals_2008up27Mar09.xls

if you click on the link it will show on the bottom "whole country 2008 by month"

CONCLUSION:

I have never seen so many rubbish reports about tourism as from this country. Every few weeks someone else stands up and says something else.

Just Google on top-right of every page: Tourism Thailand and you get enough topics to be busy, reading, for the next month. :)

LaoPo

We have today got confirmation and verified that the free tourist visas will continue in 2010.

/George

Visa's are not free I just paid for mine today. It's a scam if you think they are free. I definately just paid the $224 and have the reciept to prove it.

/George

Visa's are not free I just paid for mine today. It's a scam if you think they are free. I definately just paid the $224 and have the reciept to prove it.

:) $ 224 for a visa ? Where's that if I may ask ?

LaoPo

/George

LaoPo

Thai consulate office St Kilda Rd Melbourne.

I do not believe for one moment that it will increase the number of tourists. The number of tourist will probably increase but that is because the financial crisis is coming to an end and people have more discretionary income. It is however to be expected that the Thai tourism minister will claim otherwise as it increases his standing. Be especially aware when statistical figures are used to underscore statements, statistics in Thailand are even more bogus than those of Greece.

Statistics the world over are bogus...does anyone really believe that unemployment is only 10% in the USA? It is very probably much nearer 17%. Add in all those people (around the world) who are fearful of losing their jobs, and you may have (in the US) an amount closer to 30% who are unable to indulge in any kind of tourism.

One thing we can be reasonably certain of: the Depression is not over...it is with us, through the ignorance of bankers and politicians (see also Japan), for a good decade if not much longer.

Also, don't blame the Thai government for a strong baht....that is entirely the fault of the British and American goveernments which have been merrily printing money like Zimbabwe in the last two years. The reckoning is not far down the road....

does that mean the domino effect will crash the baht and we will be back to 40B to the buck??

/George

LaoPo

Thai consulate office St Kilda Rd Melbourne.

I see:

"(AUD) $225 for multiple entries

· Enables a 90-day stay. For business, professional education or other non-tourism purposes. A letter from employer, copy of the company’s registration certified by authorized director(s). Or a letter from educational institute must be submitted. For Non-Immigrant Visa (Business Visa for Teacher and Volunteer Teacher), the applicants must provide a National Police Certificate or a current Blue Card."

http://www.thaiconsulate.org/index.php?opt...&Itemid=109

Isn't the topic about free visa for tourists ?

LaoPo

I understand the total charge is not £18, it is not £23 either as you must pay £4.95 to send you passport to the Embassy, £15 for the admin fee and £8 to have them post it back. The total charge is £28. I was highlighting that the Embassy has not actually made the visa "free" as they try to portray. The "free visa" minus the actual cost of postage will cost £18.

minus postage 15 pounds

including postage 23 pounds

You dont pay the fee of 8 pounds to hull you send off with your passport a return addressed special delivery envelope....ie 2 special delivery at 4 pounds = 8 pounds + 15 admin charge = 23 pounds ok!

This is why I only ever read the posts and do not bother contributing anything. So often people who posted something relevant and helpful end up in some childish tit for tat where someone just wants to appear superior to the original poster without actually contributing anything worthwhile to the discussion.

On previous occasions when applying for a visa I have submitted a prepaid return envelope to be used by the embassy. This used to be mentioned as an option in their notes. This has now been removed and they even write on their payment form:

PLEASE REMEMBER TO INCLUDE £8 PAYMENT FOR RETURN POSTAGE TO GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND OR £12 PAYMENT FOR RETURN POSTAGE TO THE REPUBLIC OR IRELAND

No reference is made about including a prepaid envelope anymore.

My point is the visa is not free as I mentioned previously. I am not hear to split hairs as to how you see the total charge incurred. I was merely trying to inform the reader that there is money to be paid, £23 to the Hull consulate which is made up by £15 admin fee and an £8 charge for return postage by Royal Mail Special Delivery. Royal Mail Special Delivery, which is trackable, cost me £4.95.

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand

This is what I thought as well. I don't see the fact that the Visa is free convincing people to come to Thailand who otherwise would have gone somewhere else. It is nice and I'm sure people get a nice surprise from it, but I highly doubt many are making it a significant factor in their decisions.

Maybe this in concert with the reduction to 15 days of the VOA is increasing the average stay in Thailand, which would be a good thing in the end...longer vacation here=more money spent.

Let's face it it's the crappy exchange rate that's putting people off Thailand not 1900B for a visa. People who came here 2 years ago find themselves 20-30% worse off if they come now.

Spot on mate. Also wish they would think about us that are trying to keep Thai families here. :)

Right.

At least it is something. However an awful lot more is needed to entice tourists to Thailand in a severely strapped and increasingly competitive industry.

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

15Jan19

Let all us visitors from the west be fair.

Let us accept this gesture by Thailand in

the intention it was offered.

While Bob Loblah knows a little bit of

politics always enters the fray, Bob Loblah

is always grateful for genuine

favors from anyone, anywhere.

Yes !!!

Bob Loblah

15Jan19

Let all us visitors from the west be fair.

Let us accept this gesture by Thailand in

the intention it was offered.

While Bob Loblah knows a little bit of

politics always enters the fray, Bob Loblah

is always grateful for genuine

favors from anyone, anywhere.

Yes !!!

Bob Loblah

Have you got a crystal ball or are you living in the future?

Keep taking the tablets, Bob Loblah!

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand,.

The Visa fee is 1,000 Baht.

Typically if you go to Penang for example the whole tourist visa (double entry included ) costs you

2400 baht if you use one of those services on Chulia street. You only save a couple hundred baht if

you do it yourself. I suppose if you make your tourist visa in your own country and only for

one 60 day entry then yes - It's 1000 baht. There's a problem of on going air ticket requirement

as well as not being able to string consecutive tourist visas back to back.

More generally if you stay in Thailand and aren't just visiting

Thailand immigration department costs you AS MUCH AS YOUR RENT.

And you have to keep running around all the time. Here, there up ,down - left right

etc, etc

I have my free triple entry tourist visa in hand. I'll be there in a few days. I would have come even without the free visa, but it was a welcome incentive for me! :)

Triple entry is impossible. They never change the fine print or the rules back to less stringent.

The rule is (read the fine print) All entries must be used from within 60 days of the first entry.

The visa I think can lie dormant (unused) in you passport for 90 days.

So actually triple entry is not impossible - It's just you can't stay any longer than double entry.

You can just go in and out one more time in the 60 day period.

---------Not true. You can re-enter on your visa as long as it is before the "use before" date stamped on the visa itself. Added by Monty-----------

Triple entry goes like this -

You have to go out a few days before the 60 9or 90 if extended) visa is run out.

Then on the last one, you leave a few days before.

When i got a triple one in laos, the guy at embassy was reiterating that it is useless, and so i said "i dont understand, please write it down in dates and numbers. In the end it became apparent that what he meant was that you dont get a full 3x 60 (or 90) days, rather in order to make the third one valid you must leave before expiry date of each individual visa, meaning that you dont get to use them until the final day, if you do you lose the last one.

But if you leave a week early on each then you get all three and can extend each one month. if you dont then you wont get to extend the last one.

Thats what i did and i got 2 90 day stays (well 80 approximately because i left early), and then stayed the whole slog on the last one.

I heard that the one month extension is now not possible though.. anyoone got news on that one?

Edited by thailandfaq

So actually triple entry is not impossible - It's just you can't stay any longer than double entry.

You can just go in and out one more time in the 60 day period.

What is meant is that if you leave before the sixty days on the forst then the second one is valid and starts again when you re enter. But if you leave on the 60th day then you cant use the second one

you just have to leave early on each one, thats all its as simple as that

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand, I would also think the big spenders are the people on the two week holidays (lot of money to spend in a short time) and they get a visa on arrival.

Whats stopping people coming is the uncertainty as to whether it will still be safe to come three months after they've booked their flight and hotel.

Theyre not so free there is an admin or processing charge of about £15 in the Uk + £8 post both ways, its only £28 at full price............wow Im booking 10 years a head some deal eh!! Now what canI spend my £13 extra on in Thailand????

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand,.

Typically if you go to Penang for example the whole tourist visa (double entry included ) costs you

2400 baht if you use one of those services on Chulia street. You only save a couple hundred baht if

you do it yourself. I suppose if you make your tourist visa in your own country and only for

one 60 day entry then yes - It's 1000 baht. There's a problem of on going air ticket requirement

as well as not being able to string consecutive tourist visas back to back.

More generally if you stay in Thailand and aren't just visiting

And you have to keep running around all the time. Here, there up ,down - left right

etc, etc

Treu,true.. but another way of looking at it is that if you were to stay somewhere else (like me currently in singapore), then you spend twice that in three days just eating on the street.Most farang who complain about a couple of thousand baht spend that in one night in a beer bar or on a bargirl, but getting three months stay for the price of a night out is always complained about. I dont mean that i dont complain too.. but what bothers me more than the money is the damned running about. id happily pay thatmoney if i could renew in my local immigration. I opften tell immigration cops that it is to Thailand's loss making us travel out to Cambodia, laos etc, as that is one thousand baht plus, which could be put into Thailand's treasury by simply charging us 1500 baht to extend instead of making us spend at least that travelling and the money gets dumped in Laos or Cambodia. That would amount to millions of baht a year more for Thailand and a lot more people would stay here or visit if it was easier to stay longer without all the hassle. Cost or no cost.

one 60 day entry then yes - It's 1000 baht.

etc, etc

You don't get double entry tourist visas from Penang.

You must be paying very cheap rent if Thailand Immigration cost you as much.

I came to Thailand many times and spent possibly over $100k in Thailand on holidays before I even realised you needed a visa for extended stays. My travel planner noticed one time that a planned itinerary would take us to 31 days and we simply cut one day out. A free visa would have been of no interest at all. When I came on much longer stays and had to obtain a visa, I was certainly not spending the amounts I had on short trips.

I do not see this attracting anyone and if someone is swayed by a saving of Bt1000, then what are they worth economically ? Nothing.

praise buddha for you - i was wondering when someone was going to pick up on this - something from the thais for free - bullshit!!!!!!!!!!

"Mr Chumpol on Thursday reported that the number of tourists last year exceeded the target of 14 million people"

yWhere were they?

Can anybody confirm these figures?

Continuation of "free" visa, can't see that would make much of a difference.

Well, about 1.5 million of them were Malaysian so you might not have been able to tell that they weren't Thai. Then there were about another 2 million from singapore, cambodia, laos, burma and the philippines, so you might not have been able to spot the difference there either. Then you've got about 4 million plus from China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Hong kong, and though you might be able to tell them apart from Thais a bit more, they do tend to stick to very organised tours and don't go hanging in out in the typical farang ghettoes so much.

So that's half of the 14 million accounted for. I'm not saying Mr Chumpol is necessarily telling the truth, but he probably isn't far off.

Edited by thairet

I often tell immigration cops that it is to Thailand's loss making us travel out to Cambodia, Laos etc, as that is one thousand baht plus, which could be put into Thailand's treasury by simply charging us 1500 baht to extend instead of making us spend at least that travelling and the money gets dumped in Laos or Cambodia. That would amount to millions of baht a year more for Thailand and a lot more people would stay here or visit if it was easier to stay longer without all the hassle. Cost or no cost.

They're still arguing about whose bank accounts to funnel that cash into.