Bangkok Airways: Credit Card Identification At Check-in

LaoPo

Disposable prepaid credit card numbers??????????????

What the hel_l are they?????????

Hl :D

Maybe the previous poster, halfhead, meant a prepaid credit-account with PayPal ? :)

Just guessing.

LaoPo

They dont have these yet in Thailand. They have them in the USA. Ith is a credit card with XXX amount of credit on it when you buy. I buy them for my nephews for Christmas and then they can use it for gas, shopping whatever they want. Most are disposable and then there are some that are re-chargeable where you can add more money to it. My brother uses it for his daughter who is in collage. He puts so much on it each month for her. It was easier than sending her a check, he just goes online and adds cash to it.

There is no name on it, something like the ATM cards you get here, just a number so I dont know how that would work with the airline. That's a really good question.

:) ..not difficult, just odd.

I'm not sure what Thai Airways suddenly has to do with this but maybe you made a writing error and meant Bangkok Airways?

But, that aside.

I don't read the message from BKK Airways the way you explain it in the beginning of your message, saying that it's only for online purchases WITH Bangkok Airways themselves.

They don't even mention the word online in the OP message... :D

But, your last sentence is more clear and that's what people normally do anyway as one can't even check-in WITHOUT a printed e-ticket nowadays, but I haven't been flying with them for quite some time so you probably know better than me.

The person making post #15 made reference to Thai Airways and I commented on it. Read your thread.

You got an sms message that you read as you typed it in your OP. You also say you never saw any information regarding credit card purchases on the airlines website. I copied/pasted DIRECT from their website. Maybe you made a more than just a few typo's when rewriting the sms for posting here?

How many different ways is there to read the rather simple statement on their website:

"The Restrictions of Credit Card Payment

For the payment with Visa Card (Non Verified by Visa), Master Card (Non Secure Code), JCB (Non JSecure) and American Express, Cardholder must be one of the travellers on the itinerary, and required to provide the credit card used for online payment and valid identification (passport or identification card) at the check-in counter prior to receive boarding passes."

Several airlines don't even need the printout of an e-ticket booking, AirAsia for example. Just show your photo ID at check in and you get your boarding pass. Saves paper and is truly ticketless which was what eticketing was supposed to be all about. I think airlines give the option to print your eticket to assuage the concerns of the 'legacy' air travelers who have a specially shaped and very expensive silk-lined leather wallet for those old fashioned airline tickets. Sort of a sop to possible ticket withdrawal symptoms.

Why worry about why they do it? Maybe on a non-verified online credit card sale, there is only a 'hold' placed at the time of booking and when the punter actually checks-in and shows the credit card, only THEN is the sale completed and the financial transaction consumated?

Edited by NanLaew

And it's not Bangkok Air, or any other airlines fault for this new (or not so new) restriction. As someone pointed out earlier, the credit card company is the one stuck with the bill when someone flies with a stolen credit card. It happens more often than you think and the credit card companies are tired of taking the hit for this. if this rule is enforced it should substantially lessen the problem. If it inconveniences some passengers, or even causes them to be denied boarding, it's not their problem.

I have a Kasikornbank web debit card. These are issued by Kasikornbank specifically for use in internet transactions, to reduce the risk of fraud. There is no physical plastic card, they just tell you the numbers to use. You can change the credit limit on-line, so normally you leave it set to zero and when you want to use it, you set the limit appropriately.

So what happens if I use this card to buy tickets? I always use it with Air Asia and have never had a problem.

I have a Kasikornbank web debit card. These are issued by Kasikornbank specifically for use in internet transactions, to reduce the risk of fraud. There is no physical plastic card, they just tell you the numbers to use. You can change the credit limit on-line, so normally you leave it set to zero and when you want to use it, you set the limit appropriately.

So what happens if I use this card to buy tickets? I always use it with Air Asia and have never had a problem.

Those are not 'real' credit card and can not be used to purchase tickets online with any airline. You wont be able to provide the card during check-in. Again, this is not a Thai or Thai Airways thing. This procedure is done by almost any carrier.

Those are not 'real' credit card and can not be used to purchase tickets online with any airline. You wont be able to provide the card during check-in. Again, this is not a Thai or Thai Airways thing. This procedure is done by almost any carrier.

Unless the rules have changed very recently, you can. I last flew with a ticket purchased with this card at the end of October 2009. I've just had a quick look at their T&C and there is still no mention of the requirement to provide the payment card at check-in.

Unless the rules have changed very recently, you can. I last flew with a ticket purchased with this card at the end of October 2009. I've just had a quick look at their T&C and there is still no mention of the requirement to provide the payment card at check-in.

Any major carrier is asking for the phsysical card during check-in when the ticket was purchased online ( not in a sales office or through an agent ). If your refer to Bangkok Air you might check the first posting :) If you havent been asked you had luck, but this can change on the next flight.

Except that I have used mine previously with Bangkok Airways and Air Asia for on-line bookings without any problem, I accept that I might not be able to use it with Bangkok Airways after this new rule has been implemented.

Edited by theoldgit

Except that I have used mine previously with Bangkok Airways and Air Asia for on-line bookings without any problem, I accept that I might not be able to use it with Bangkok Airways after this new rule has been implemented.

I dont realy call Air Aisa a 'major carrier' but I am sure it will not take long until Air Asia will enforce or implement the same policy. Airlines are just protecting them for credit card fraud.

Web Cards such as Kasikorn are processed as Credit Cards. One of the web site elements quoted make it clear that this applied to NON verified transactions. With Web cards the 'holder' may apply the challenge system to verify the transaction, therefore in principal avoiding this requirement.

I don't have time to rummage through the Bangkok Airways site but if they provide the verification process [Master Card et al have similar secure services] this is a non issue.

Regards

PS Holders of the Kasikorn Web card have to commission the Verified by Visa process through their account web site.

PPS A Web card is to all intents and purposes irrevocably paid after three days

The real reason is - refunds for purchases of goods and services via a stolen or compromised CC details are refunded by the CC issuer to the CC owner.

Now, the CC issuer will request the provider to refund them if they did not do proper checking (as BKK Airways started doing since January 16th).

For my wife and daughter, I purchased 2 tickets for TG flights from Japan and always used wife's CC (which is an offshot of mine). They even said, if the CC expires between the purcase and flight date and gets replaced by a new one, it still has to be produced upon check in. That very card used for the purchase, regardless of whether it is still valid or not.

Tickets can be bought by a stolen card via 3rd party (a travel agent) but in that case an airline is not held responsible to refund the CC issuer - the travel agent is.

I am surprised BKK Airways had not introduced this measure earlier.

A friend, after a taxi ride in Sydney, noticed that the driver was handwriting down something from his CC. A few weeks later, he saw his card being used for several flights of BKK Airways (Samui - Singapore, BKK - Siam Riep, BKK - Fukuoka).

And it's not Bangkok Air, or any other airlines fault for this new (or not so new) restriction. As someone pointed out earlier, the credit card company is the one stuck with the bill when someone flies with a stolen credit card. It happens more often than you think and the credit card companies are tired of taking the hit for this. if this rule is enforced it should substantially lessen the problem. If it inconveniences some passengers, or even causes them to be denied boarding, it's not their problem.

Oh, please, how many times someone flies with a stolen CC?

If one takes the $ Billions Credit Card companies make into consideration, they surely know HOW to cope with losses; same as with insurance companies.

"It happens more than you think"...and how many times is that in comparison the the ones who pay in the normal way?

Any percentage available?

LaoPo