Why Do Limey Brits Live In Thailand

:o

[

What about the taffs...they can't be happy that you left them out. :D

All Taffs, are oblivious of what is written in TV, because, after 30 years of hanging our heads in shame, we are either returning to the green, green grass of home or at least ensuring we have enough of the readies to travel to the Millennium stadium and other grounds to sing “Bread of Heaven” at the top of our voices when Wales, the Six Nations Champions, take to the pitch.

Either that or we are too pissed to care, still celebrating the Glorious Victory, having, at long last, experienced Nirvana.

We are the Great in Great Britain, without a doubt.

my gf is in Wales visiting distant family (got to burn my key board now useing that word) I refused to go

never catch me in that God foresaken country :D

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you knew how to spell it you'd have no problem with the pronunciation.  :o

A-L-U-M-I-N-I-U-M

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book...ary&va=aluminum :D

Quoted from The Compact Oxford English Dictionary

(Note that the language is called "English")

aluminium

/alyoominnim/ (US aluminum) /loominm/

• noun a strong, light, corrosion-resistant silvery-grey metallic element.

— DERIVATIVES aluminous adjective.

:D

The following post was in the Chiang Mai part of the Forum... Interesting

Sitting at Mike's burger ordering a take-away burger, some guys were going on about football, obviously now I realise they were refering to what Americans like myself know as soccer.  Growing up watching American football, I asked if any had seen the recent Superbowl, only to be answered with a fist to the side of my head, a brief wrestling match and then three of them standing on me and kicking me in the face.  Lovely assho's.  My pregnant wife waiting in the car herd the commotion, and screamed at them to stop since everyone else at the busy burger stand decided it was best to stand aside and watch.  They started to approach her and I was up again, grabbed her and made it to the truck and locked up as they beat dents into the hood. 

Bad in my part was mouthing off when we were safely locked in the car, but the whole thing started as I was trying to make light conversation about footbal, no contriversy, while waiting for my food.  If "Did you catch the Superbowl?"  is enough to make someone come over and blind-side me (his friends jumped in after the first punch knocked me off my stool, but I somehow managed to pin him down and returned the favor, and as they came over to help him by kicking my face in, he got up  and bit the back of my neck so hard he took a chunk of skin and tissue away with him).

No doubt British by their accents and dedication to English football.  My wife had to talk the good sense into me to not make a lap around the moat and run the worthless runts over.  Had they touched her I imagine I would have.  Thank God cooler heads prevailed.  I am not violent, not fighting since grade school, but as I healed over the next week I had some absolutely murderous feelings pass through an otherwise friendly good-natured mind.  And the dreams were not much better.  No major damage except for a slight hairline fracture to one cheek and black swollen eyes.

Why the long story, I guess since I'm new to TV I want to take advantage of the public forum, and let go of any residual anger I might still feel at times for anyone willing to spend several hours watching a scoreless game (OK that was my cheap shot).

But I also believe it fits well into this forum about Chaing Mai and the undesirables that should be avoided.  Start with Mike's burgers, Mike was kind enough to give me a few free burgers when I came back to try and see if anyone could identify these punks, but at 12-2am 99% of the customers are drunk or high on something, and having only 2-3 girls behind the counter is not any help at setteling rowdy customers, nor did anyone call the police.  I think a tough security/counter worker would be a welcome addition - at least if I am going to eat there again, even though they do have the best late-nit grub.  Had I been drinking to I also don't know how it would have turned out, but worse I'm sure.

Cheap rooms, beers and drugs have definatly attracted an unwelcome element, probable no more than 5-10% max, but those are the odds and I lost that night.  At least in BKK they keep the majority of the holligans around Khao San Road.  And as much as I love the atmosphere the guesthouses create with their lively staffs and adventure seeking farangs there are some nasty people cruising around there, and it would not bother me at all to see them weeded out somehow.  Overnight drunk tanks might be a good start for those who have completely lost control of themselves. 

So as mentioned above, pick your friends in CM carefully and thanks for letting me get the whole thing out of my system, holding a grudge is poison to the system and can have no positive results.  And yes I'll continue to try meeting people wherever I go, as mentioned above the majority of us are truely good and pleasant accuantances, and possible friends.

Sitting at Mike's burger ordering a take-away burger, some guys were going on about football, obviously now I realise they were refering to what Americans like myself know as soccer.  Growing up watching American football, I asked if any had seen the recent Superbowl, only to be answered with a fist to the side of my head, a brief wrestling match and then three of them standing on me and kicking me in the face.  Lovely assho's.  My pregnant wife waiting in the car herd the commotion, and screamed at them to stop since everyone else at the busy burger stand decided it was best to stand aside and watch.  They started to approach her and I was up again, grabbed her and made it to the truck and locked up as they beat dents into the hood. 

Bad in my part was mouthing off when we were safely locked in the car, but the whole thing started as I was trying to make light conversation about footbal, no contriversy, while waiting for my food.  If "Did you catch the Superbowl?"  is enough to make someone come over and blind-side me (his friends jumped in after the first punch knocked me off my stool, but I somehow managed to pin him down and returned the favor, and as they came over to help him by kicking my face in, he got up  and bit the back of my neck so hard he took a chunk of skin and tissue away with him).

No doubt British by their accents and dedication to English football.  My wife had to talk the good sense into me to not make a lap around the moat and run the worthless runts over.  Had they touched her I imagine I would have.  Thank God cooler heads prevailed.  I am not violent, not fighting since grade school, but as I healed over the next week I had some absolutely murderous feelings pass through an otherwise friendly good-natured mind.  And the dreams were not much better.  No major damage except for a slight hairline fracture to one cheek and black swollen eyes.

Why the long story, I guess since I'm new to TV I want to take advantage of the public forum, and let go of any residual anger I might still feel at times for anyone willing to spend several hours watching a scoreless game (OK that was my cheap shot).

But I also believe it fits well into this forum about Chaing Mai and the undesirables that should be avoided.  Start with Mike's burgers, Mike was kind enough to give me a few free burgers when I came back to try and see if anyone could identify these punks, but at 12-2am 99% of the customers are drunk or high on something, and having only 2-3 girls behind the counter is not any help at setteling rowdy customers, nor did anyone call the police.  I think a tough security/counter worker would be a welcome addition - at least if I am going to eat there again, even though they do have the best late-nit grub.  Had I been drinking to I also don't know how it would have turned out, but worse I'm sure.

Cheap rooms, beers and drugs have definatly attracted an unwelcome element, probable no more than 5-10% max, but those are the odds and I lost that night.  At least in BKK they keep the majority of the holligans around Khao San Road.  And as much as I love the atmosphere the guesthouses create with their lively staffs and adventure seeking farangs there are some nasty people cruising around there, and it would not bother me at all to see them weeded out somehow.  Overnight drunk tanks might be a good start for those who have completely lost control of themselves. 

So as mentioned above, pick your friends in CM carefully and thanks for letting me get the whole thing out of my system, holding a grudge is poison to the system and can have no positive results.  And yes I'll continue to try meeting people wherever I go, as mentioned above the majority of us are truely good and pleasant accuantances, and possible friends.

If this is indeed what transpired (always 2 sides to a tale) take heart, no Brit I know would defend yobs like these.

On a different 'note', I just watched The Brits (25th anniversary) on UBC. Brilliant show (excepting the muppet hosting) :D . Just a couple cross 'culture' observations: The band that really brought down the house was Green Day, singing (are you ready for it?) "American Idiot". The massive popularity of the song stateside, proves Americans can and do, have the ability to laugh at themselves. Well done and harmless fun.

Second, one of the big winners was "Scissor Sisters", an American band who had to get their debut album off in London, due to lack of interest from stateside producers. Now, they're getting huge across the pond as well.

Seems the UK and the USA are A OK, for the most part... :o

Why's it interesting? :o

Because it can be used as a basis to sterotype all others of English descent. If ones mind is so inclined to do as such.

So what? Most of the posters here say that the majority of yanks are ok.Same/same for most countries(Except Australia) :D .This wasn't needed to show a sterotype at all. :D

Why's it interesting? :D

Because it can be used as a basis to sterotype all others of English descent. If ones mind is so inclined to do as such.

So what? Most of the posters here say that the majority of yanks are ok.Same/same for most countries(Except Australia) :D .This wasn't needed to show a sterotype at all. :D

You asked my why I thought it was "interesting", I told you why. Because after I read it, I felt outraged. I myself was inclined to do as such. :D

What was that other post I read about the English not speaking German as a national language? heheh j/k :o:D

On the other hand, good thing he didn't ask about the WORLD series of baseball :D As a Canadian, I can honestly say, untill Toronto Blue Jays 'bought' the pennant, I didn't have a clue what all the fuss was about. Now I see. Until Cameroon 'almost' took on the world in a 'real' world cup, I hadn't paid much attention to the other 'beautiful' game. Glad I caught onto both... afterall, our Canadian Hockey is like a huge brawl, where someone occasionally scores a goal. :D (when they're playing that is) :o

Why's it interesting? :D

You asked my why I thought it was "interesting", I told you why. Because after I read it, I felt outraged. I myself was inclined to do as such. :D

What was that other post I read about the English not speaking German as a national language? heheh j/k :o:D

Did they also mention that the USA only got involved after the Japs did their thing at Pearl Harbour.. :D ...or that's another story again.

If you are isaying that if it wasn't for the USA, then the Poms would be speaking german, then we can go back further and say that without the orig Brits (Founding Fathers etc) there would be no USA. :D

On the other hand, good thing he didn't ask about the WORLD series of baseball :D As a Canadian, I can honestly say, untill Toronto Blue Jays 'bought' the pennant, I didn't have a clue what all the fuss was about. Now I see. Until Cameroon 'almost' took on the world in a 'real' world cup, I hadn't paid much attention to the other 'beautiful' game. Glad I caught onto both... afterall, our Canadian Hockey is like a huge brawl, where someone occasionally scores a goal. :D (when they're playing that is) :D

LOL :D

Maybe if they were fans of .... cricket :D hehe, can we even consider that... a game? :o

:o  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Geez, now it's onto the founding fathers.... soon to degenerate into "my dad's tougher than your dad"

G'niight!

G'night! :D

Cheers and beers to both Chucok and Peder. Ale/Bud, whatever. You guys are nutters

Not a drop! I'm just being anti for a bit of fun!..and my dad was very big and very tough :D:D

And I'm waiting for an e-mail from home and I'm bored shiteless!!

Edited by chuchok

:o  :D  :D  

Geez, now it's onto the founding fathers.... soon to degenerate into "my dad's tougher than your dad"

G'niight!

G'night!

Cheers and beers to both Chucok and Peder. Ale/Bud, whatever. You guys are nutters

Not a drop! I'm just being anti for a bit of fun!..and my dad was very big and very tough :D:D

:o  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

G'niight!

G'night! :D

And I'm waiting for an e-mail from home and I'm bored shiteless!!

Well, I'm working 12 hour night shifts 7 days a week... with nothing to do at work other then surf the internet, and get paid. I gues I watch DVD movies and regular TV while I wait for my shift to end as well. But that's beside the point. What is the point?

Very Funny.

What does amaze me is they still seem unhappy here.

Jeez the letters to ed in the pattayamail always seem to have some old whinger going on about some small thing.

I suppose the nett of it is,they come for all the things they cant get in the uk,Sexy available young women,cheap beer,tropical climate etc etc ,but I suspect a big portion still pine for the old blighty.

Jeez I am sure there are more English food restaurants in Pattaya than Thai.

To enjoy a climate wherein they may display their tattoos, bald heads, and protruding bellies without fear of contracting a chill;

To escape the necessity of having deeper relationships with those like themselves;

To be able at last to place in trivia contests, here among other Brit expats whose dearth of intelligence and education compares with their own;

To ensure that all screens and tellies are turned to "footie," so to numb the brains of expats of other nations;

To teach non-native speakers the incorrect pronunciation of words like "aluminum" before Yanks can teach them the correct one;

To pose as experts among those unable to understand what they are saying and freely make uninformed pronouncements on every conceivable subject;

To stab one another in the back without fear of suffering any important consequences, given that so many are retired or living off investments;

To affirm the overwhelming superiority of Orthodox British foodstuffs and lagers by bemoaning their absence elsewhere;

To meet Yanks and express their sincere gratitude that they are able to speak English rather than German.

:o  :D  :D

Why's it interesting? :o

Because it points out there's waaaay too many Farang in CM & environs.

I love my little mooban w/no round-eyes anywhere to be seen for miles! :D

Well I certainly wouldn't jump into a conversation with a bunch of drunks in a burger bar, no matter what their nationality, which country I was in, or what time of night - especially with some smart remark about my own, esoteric, favourite sport.

This is not to excuse the behaviour of those drunken yobboes. But the American gentleman does display a certain method of behaviour that suggests he is not particularly "streetwise". At the very least, when making contact in public places with drunks, it is wise to develop a sense of time and place (Glauben für die Situation).

Quite obviously, late at night, in a burger bar, with some chemically affected Englishmen, in "Chaing Mai", is neither the time nor the place to interrupt them, proclaiming the delights of the American Super Bowl.

You could substitute "Englishmen" with any nationality, and Chaing Mai with any major city or tourist centre in the world, and the above sentence would also be true.

Quite obviously, late at night, in a burger bar, with some chemically affected Englishmen, in "Chaing Mai", is neither the time nor the place to interrupt them, proclaiming the delights of the American Super Bowl.

Mr. Merton, I have never replied to any of your posts until now. You are spot on here. Some of them will never learn.

Well I certainly wouldn't jump into a conversation with a bunch of drunks in a burger bar, no matter what their nationality, which country I was in, or what time of night - especially with some smart remark about my own, esoteric, favourite sport.

This is not to excuse the behaviour of those drunken yobboes. But the American gentleman does display a certain method of behaviour that suggests he is not particularly "streetwise". At the very least, when making contact in public places with drunks, it is wise to develop a sense of time and place (Glauben für die Situation).

You could substitute "Englishmen" with any nationality, and Chaing Mai with any major city or tourist centre in the world, and the above sentence would also be true.

I agree that he should have not said anything but the actions of the drunken men in question is totally inappropriate. Beating the man senseless because he was trying to strike up a conversation is beyond ridiculous no matter what nationality.

I agree that he should have not said anything but the actions of the drunken men in question is totally inappropriate.  Beating the man senseless because he was trying to strike up a conversation is beyond ridiculous no matter what nationality.

Trip, you are fully aware that this is the way many English are; thick as lead when it comes too football. Unfortunately, some Americans don't know this. There is just no negotiating or chatting with a bunch of liquored poms watching footie, unless you're also a liquored pom watching footie with them. Now, if you are a liquored pom watching the footie with them, I just hope you're from their side of London.

Life is a bitch.

superbowl - :o:D :D what a waste of time!

Have to agree; what a waste of f###ing viewing pleasure. I actually enjoy watching Premier League and other Eoropean football, but in a crowded bar or pub in Bangkok where an important game is on and the beers are flowing and such, f##k it! Television at home is better.

aluminium

I'm afraid it doesn't help your case to call attention to the title of the work, which merely reflects the typical insularity and arrogance. Should it not more appropriately be called The Compact Oxford British English Dictionary? :o

It's amusing that you actually think we/I might not already know how a British dictionary spells the word and that you take this joking around so seriously. It's not alarming, though-- because expected--that many Brits would not realize that this word can be properly spelled another way and is so in American dictionaries. This is not to discount that most Brits have somehow managed to learn that common words like "color" can be and in fact are spelled differently outside of blighty. :D

aluminium

I'm afraid it doesn't help your case to call attention to the title of the work, which merely reflects the typical insularity and arrogance. Should it not more appropriately be called The Compact Oxford British English Dictionary? :o

It's amusing that you actually think we/I might not already know how a British dictionary spells the word and that you take this joking around so seriously. It's not alarming, though-- because expected--that many Brits would not realize that this word can be properly spelled another way and is so in American dictionaries. This is not to discount that most Brits have somehow managed to learn that common words like "color" can be and in fact are spelled differently outside of blighty. :D

Funny,I thought it was called English...from...England :D

somehow rather i knew someone will start this thread  :D

So we've had Aussies, Yanks, and now Brits... :D

Gotta admit, TV is entertaining at times. :D

Whos next? Kiwis? Canadians? French?

I think the French have been done. Kiwis or Canadians?

Britain is possibly the world's most beautiful island ... but the food certainly ain't crap ...

Well, at least these comments are funny.

I don't think that the british are whingers.... it is just that we like to grumble a lot. We don't really take it to heart .. but other nationalities see it as whinging because that's what it would be in their country. Having a grumble is just a way of saying hello how are you. We will grumble about everything: weather too cold, or too hot; Americans; French; British; food, governments, tax, football, supermarkets, the cat, the goldfish, ... It's probably comparable to Thai's always talking about food.

This is mostly true, except for not taking it to heart. I love British humor, and I enjoy the company of many Brits. But at the same time, the English can be some of the most hateful, meanest ######s on the planet.

But, personally, when the Great Day comes, I would rather have my Karma calculated on the basis of the negative points earned for supporting Communism, than those earned by defending the wealthy who flee from paying taxes in the democratic country I call my own.

I despise those who support the half-brains who write diatribes denigrating so-called foreigners and immigrants in our Great British society.

And I loathe these pecuniary parasites who feel the need to criticise, in the vilest manner, those who have not been as fortunate as themselves.

Apart from that, I’m quite a nice guy, really.

Great post. I totally agree. I really do not understand people who villify genuine refugees. Unbelievable.

I could post the Unoin Jack but wouldn't want to be seeing as getting on my high horse...Illuminati

I had every right to put that flag up there and defend my country as everyone was coming down on Americans for senseless reasons beyond our control. Normally, you would never see me even talking about America at all, let alone defending it. As the times go on though, I will no longer tolerate people labeling me or my compatriots as war-mongers, conservative neo-cons, loud-mouthed and ignorant just because of a government that I have no control over and didn't vote for. If you have had personal problems with an American before then you had problems with a HUMAN BEING that just happened to be American. Where they were born has little to do with anything. All Americans are not how you are generalizing and I certainly am not.

You will never see me criticizing England or any other country for the many flaws that it may possess, and no matter which country you come from, it is flawed no matter what you say. What good is it going to do anyone to point out the things that you feel are negative about a place? Will it change anything? Hardly. If someone were to ask me about England, I would feel inclined to tell them about all the things I like about the place and not the things I don't like. I like how a majority of the English are well-mannered. I like how you have betting parlors everywhere and its not frowned upon. I like puddings very much. You see, it's not so hard to be positive is it?

If you want to be a negative jerk-off all your life than that's you perogative. If so, I still want you to kiss my Red, White and Blue A**!!!!!!!!!!!

What a typical yank! You've just proved the point to a tee that someone else made earlier about Yanks not being able to laugh at themselves. I have many American friends but it's the country's attitude as a whole that gets up the world's nose. Lighten up jerk-off! and in your own words you can kiss MY red, white and blue ass.

You see, the issue here, is that your comment was not funny or made in jest. It was just a mean-spirited jab which you then tried to pass off as humor. You have proven no point except for the fact that you enjoy bashing Americans. And you have proven this point by revealing your reasoning that Britian is one of the most beautiful islands in the world :D

*(Sorry to the Scots and Irish, which is why I have a problem applying everything to "Britain").

Oh christ, not her again :o