Why Do Limey Brits Live In Thailand

touché -

exclamation

1. used to admit that someone has made a good point against you in an argument or discussion:

- "You say we should support British industries, but you always drink French wines." "Touché."

2. In fencing, a touch of a sword on the opponent's body is worth a point. Thus, touché has come to mean a score or a point, often used figuratively in verbal fencing and spoken by the person against whom the point was scored. Merely saying touch is wrong since the correct term would be touched. However, even touched is wrong when the meaning is you win.

Edited by peder.klockmann

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The friends I have who are British say it is because England is a dreary, wet, dismal little crap island with high taxes, skanky women and dreadful food. :o

They say Thailand is wonderful because the weather is great, food is good, things are cheap, taxes low to non-existant and of course the women fantastic. Mind you, this is not what I am saying; I am not British and don't live in Britain. This is what

BRITISH PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME.

The friends I have who are British say it is because England is a dreary, wet, dismal little crap island with high taxes, skanky women and dreadful food. :D

They say Thailand is wonderful because the weather is great, food is good, things are cheap, taxes low to non-existant and of course the women fantastic. Mind you, this is not what I am saying; I am not British and don't live in Britain. This is what

That just about sums it up ..... I was gonna reply but no need now.. :D

totster - posting from the dreary, wet, dismal little crap island with high taxes, skanky women and dreadful food. :o:D

The friends I have who are British say it is because England is a dreary, wet, dismal little crap island with high taxes, skanky women and dreadful food. :D

That just about sums it up ..... I was gonna reply but no need now.. :D

totster - posting from the dreary, wet, dismal little crap island with high taxes, skanky women and dreadful food. :o:D

Ditto - Except for the "crap island" bit..... :D

Still proud to have come from the the wonderful little island - but happier to be living in LOS for all the other reasons mentioned :D

>cough<...

...Tony Blair

>cough<

in cahoots

Trans:

Nederlands (Dutch)

bondgenootschap

Français (French)

alliance, ligue

Deutsch (German)

n. pl. - Bündnis

Ελληνική (Greek)

n. pl. κολεγιά

Italiano (Italian)

combutta

Português (Portuguese)

n. pl. - sociedade (f), pacto (m)

Русский (Russian)

сговор

Español (Spanish)

n. pl. - confabulación, alianza

Svenska (Swedish)

n. pl. - partnerskap, företag, samarbete

中国话 (Simplified Chinese)

n. pl. - 合伙, 同谋

中國話 (Traditional Chinese)

n. pl. - 合伙, 同謀

日本語 (Japanese)

n. - 共同

العربيه (Arabic)

‏(الجمع) اتفاق, تعاون وثيق‏

עברית (Hebrew)

n. pl. - קנוניה, שותפות

Edited by peder.klockmann

>cough<...

...Tony Blair

>cough<

in cahoots

Trans:

Nederlands (Dutch)

bondgenootschap

Français (French)

alliance, ligue

Deutsch (German)

n. pl. - Bündnis

Ελληνική (Greek)

n. pl. κολεγιά

Italiano (Italian)

combutta

Português (Portuguese)

n. pl. - sociedade (f), pacto (m)

Русский (Russian)

сговор

Español (Spanish)

n. pl. - confabulación, alianza

Svenska (Swedish)

n. pl. - partnerskap, företag, samarbete

中国话 (Simplified Chinese)

n. pl. - 合伙, 同谋

中國話 (Traditional Chinese)

n. pl. - 合伙, 同謀

日本語 (Japanese)

n. - 共同

العربيه (Arabic)

‏(الجمع) اتفاق, تعاون وثيق‏

עברית (Hebrew)

n. pl. - קנוניה, שותפות

:o

The friends I have who are British say it is because England is a dreary, wet, dismal little crap island with high taxes, skanky women and dreadful food. :o

Your British friends say because England is blah, blah? So Scotland and Wales aren't part of Britain and with that assumption the aforementioned aren't dreary and don't have skanky women as well?

Britain is possibly the world's most beautiful island if people actually get off their asses and have a look around it. But unfortunately most visitors stick with London and the home counties and a quick dash to the Lakes. Yeah, it's wet and miserable at times, taxes in line with other developed nations, women can be awful but there's some beauties, but the food certainly ain't crap. Having someone who know's how to cook the myriad of wholesome dishes may help.

The reason I'm here is wife and kid, easy living and none of the over-the-top pc crap that is rife in Europe, oh and to get away from boring Europe. As far as nightlife goes, Thailand is great, but take away the women and you haven't got much. Nightlife in the UK is unbeatable, you'll be spoilt for choice by the plethora of bars, pubs and clubs, and of course choice of beer and REAL ale, and you may even come across a half decent dolly-bird from time to time.

Peder, do you know where 'limey' comes from? No Googling!

I could post the Unoin Jack but wouldn't want to be seeing as getting on my high horse...Illuminati

The friends I have who are British say it is because ENGLAND is a dreary, wet, dismal little crap island with high taxes, skanky women and dreadful food.

I'd have to agree with that 100% :D:D

I agree :o

They have also opened restaurants selling that dreadfull food.

"Big English Breakfast" = "greasy fried crap"

It hurts me to agree with these comments, however, the UK offers great sporting events, great concerts and great theatre, something not here in LOS.

As an ex-pat limey brit I feel that I must just speak out in defense of our little island.

OK, the climate may be mostly dreary and wet but that's one of the reasons why everything is so green and pleasant on the rare occasions that the sun appears. Have you ever stood by the shore of an English lake on a May morning? Have you ever been there in January when the frost is on the ground? Have you experienced the freezing, horizontal rain in December (Oops! I was supposed to be defending the place!)

Seriously though, even if, as is often said, Britain has no climate, only weather, it's really not that bad. Some times of the year are delightful and you rarely get extreme weather conditions. If the weather / climate were the only factor I would still be there.

Then there's the food. Alright, UK is not known for high quality native cuisine although we do have some expertise with roast beef and fish 'n chips. And then there's Cumberland sausage, black pudding, haggis (Scotland) and all sorts of really unhealthy stuff. But anyway, you don't have to eat the home grown food if you don't want to. UK has arguably the widest range of ethnic food in the world. Greek, Mexican, Italian, Russian ... the list goes on, and then there's Chicken Tikka Masala - that well-known adopted national dish! All sorts of restaurants just about everywhere. Mustn't forget pub grub either - great tradition this, pie and mash with your pint.

Women? Well they're not all 'skanky' but more and more of them seem to be materialistic these days. The politically correct anti-discrimination lobby has a lot to answer for here, I believe. I am in no way sexist but it must be said that there are some things that men are good at, some that women are good at and some that both are good at. Why we can't just accept this and get on with life defeats me. This isn't only a problem in the UK of course, it seems to affect most Western countries to a degree.

But, on the negative side, successive UK governments have succeeded in ruining what was once 'The Greatest Country in the World'. We're going back a fair few years here, of course, and we have to remember that the Empire was largely built by exploiting other countries' resources - still, no-one's perfect. Once we had the best educational system in the World, the best free health care, thriving industries, etc. All gone now. What is actually holding the Country together is a bit of a mystery - with sky- high property prices, high levels of personal debt, and more and more 'service' jobs I keep expecting the whole house of cards to come crashing down!

We have a royal family that is an international joke and a governmental system that is probably the equal of another well-known more local example when it comes to corruption - just a bit more covert. If UK was ever a true democracy, which is debatable, those days are gone. You still get to vote every once in a while but there is no real choice.

Taxation - very high. Income tax itself is not too bad but that, of course, is only the tip of the iceberg. Total lack of imagination on the part of successive governments has brought things to the point where road transport bears the brunt of taxation while the roads become ever more undrivable. We don't have 'local' income tax (yet) but we do have the iniquitous 'council tax', which seems to increase by leaps and bounds every year. In short, UK is becoming a very expensive place to live.

Anyway, to get to the point (long time coming), the main reason that I am in LoS and not in the UK is simple. My meagre pension goes a lot further here and my standard of living is far better than I could achieve 'back home'. So this makes me an economic migrant, I suppose, although in no way will I ever be a charge on the Thai state, so I don't feel bad about it. I think that anything else is more in the nature of a fringe benefit, even the women, although they are definitely a factor. I'm a 'hansum man' here but back in UK I'm just an old git!

Sorry if this has gone on a bit long - I'd be interested to hear other peoples' views on the 'state of the nation'. What is the real perception of the UK by other nationalities? And I don't mean the weather / women / food as we seem to have covered that already - but feel free.

DM :o

I'm sure it was just a question of saving the BEST till LAST

doubt if you'd get a thread going from all the other countries put together. :D

ll the good points about Britain have been mentioned already so I won't bore you(This time).

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN (and Camilla) :o

I love UK- its like comparing apples/oranges.

Women are lovely, food is great and trust me there are worse places to be than england for weather.

Taxes- errr are &lt;deleted&gt;, but not lot u can do about that!

Edited by britmaveric

I love UK- its like comparing apples/oranges.

Women are lovely, food is great and trust me there are worse places to be than england for weather.

Taxes- errr are &lt;deleted&gt;, but what not lot u can do about that!

Vote for the Socilaist Workers Party if you income is less the £25k per year 12% tax over £25- £35k 20% over £35K all income 40% - I had a campaign leaflet through the door yesterday the guy loooks like a Big Issue seller - probably is.

Actually the correct is Full English Breakfast - beats a petite dejuner or pancakes with Maple Syrup anyday - also a great hangover cure

:D

It doesnt beat fruit, orange juice and vegemite on toast :D

warm beer, greasy food, &lt;deleted&gt; rugby team, &lt;deleted&gt; cricket team, but the north of the country is absolutely beautiful (where the bairn lives :D )

Actually the correct is Full English Breakfast - beats a petite dejuner or pancakes with Maple Syrup anyday - also a great hangover cure

warm beer, greasy food, &lt;deleted&gt; rugby team, &lt;deleted&gt; cricket team, but the north of the country is absolutely beautiful (where the bairn lives :D )

Is that North England or further as a Full Scottish Breakfast - takes the culinary delight to new extremes adding things like mealy and white pudding - tattie scones - and Ayrshire Bacon.

Is that North England or further as a Full Scottish Breakfast - takes the culinary delight to new extremes adding things like mealy and white pudding - tattie scones - and Ayrshire Bacon.

Geordie territory :D

Nah the orange juice makes you throw up if your pissed :D

Nah the orange juice makes you throw up if your pissed :D

highly unusual to find a pissed pom :D:D

Now you're talking. Tattie scones, white pudding. decent bacon. But you forgot. square sausage, Greggs wellfired rolls. Oh ye! My mouth is watering at the thought. Did you know that you can get square sausage at Villa?