• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

2. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

3. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

4. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

5. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

6. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

7. 563

White Culture

8. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

9. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

10. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

11. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

12. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

13. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

14. 125

Trump chickens out again.

Boycott The Baht

We all realize the world is still in a spin. OK, I have dollars but most in the Stock Market at just about the bottom so have I realized some gain,sure. Does the 20% drop in the baht mean notthing. Not really to me however. What is really going on is the poor in thailand and getting poorer... export workers like farming and manufacturing and touism people. The rich are getting more wealth as the buy up fancy imported goods at cheap prices etc. Getting more espensive toys and stgicking away things tgo sell for lots more soon. Tis the BOT whom is allowing this. Remember, H.E. Pol LColDr. Thaksin S. was champion of the people and where was the baht, fat for the masses in ag, tour, and export. Now the Rich Bangkok DEMS are laughing all the way to the car dealer. Come on now, a Lambrogini dealer at Siam Paragon. <deleted>, even the Benz shopp in Phuket has increased its hours and is doing very well....

So, stop buying stuff. slow the economy and the Rich Dems in BKK wqill have to shift policy. Look they even get to elect their own Gov. Phuket wanted that a got laughted at!

An outstanding idea, have just called my landlord and told him that I am following your advice hence he will not be seeing his rent next moth, er, um, he'd like to have a word with you, when it's convenient!

But seriously though, it was OK for Americans to buy imported goods from Thailand when the Baht was weak, but now that it's stronger, it's not OK for Thai's to import and buy stuff more cheaply from the US, is that what you are saying, surely not.

Edited by chiang mai

With Thai poor peoples constant increae in purchasing power and welfare I think 65 million Thais disagree with you. So do I

I am very happy the US economy has had a correction though, and I hope Americans purchasing power will remain low for a good while.

Correction.... Sure, why did people put 1Mill in the stock Market March 5th of 2009 and now have about 1.8 mill. Don't worry about the dollar as it is rebounding as we speak. The point is, and I defy anone to prove me wrong, the rich Bangkok Dems are making a clean up in buying right now. Lambroghinis at Siam Paragon, come on.

When I say stop buying I certainly didn't address the anti Americans (jealous lots they are). Don;'t grow veggies or stopyaing rent, (don't you own) but put off for 6-12 months things like new TV's, cars streros, remodel jobs on the house or condo (for those of us successful enought to own and not be in the same cycle of poverty as at home). Cosmetic surgery.... Economists call it discressionary spending. Cut it out for a while and we'll help home currencies improve. Form me personally, The baht ius down 40% since almnost 10 years ago and just think how much a mill USD 10 yeras ago is worth now if you didn't piss it off! I will curb my spending to put pressure on the Bank of Thailand.

I think the OP meant to say a 20% gain vs loss in the baht, as the baht has got stronger against most western currencies. Additionally, the spending by around "maybe" 10,000-20,000 farangs living in Thailand (many of which don't have any more money to spend than a well-off Thai) ain't going to make much of a difference (drop in the bucket) in the "overall/country-wide economy driven by 65 million Thai's." It's only when the BIG foreign investors (i.e., companies, stock market investors, etc) really cut back on dollar investments due to the baht strength (a.k.a., dollar/pound/euro/yen/etc weakness) that maybe the Thai government will take action to slow the appreciation of the baht.

To the OP: sorry, I can't stop converting my dollars to baht as I've got bills to pay in Thailand...plus, I like buying food and beer at Lotus, Big C, etc.

Edited by Pib