Anyone Actually Using Metal Roofing Here?

Trex52

I have spent the entire afternoon and most of this evening looking through the different threads here and have still not come across anyone that is using metal roofing. Most are using different types of tile and I have websites for at least 5 companies that make these. I know they look great, but the weight factor has me concerned. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I am just now coming out of the ground with footings and piers. Had the sao-eek last week, so good to go. Thanks in advance. trex

I was under the Impression that the cheaper Lighter alternative was that Asbestos type of roofing.

I would not want Metal Just think of the racket in a rainstorm. Unless you insulate to a high degree. Then the cost advantage will have gone.

• 5 weeks later...

I lived in Manila for two years. Metal roofs are the preferred route there, even in very upscale housing. I wondered why that would be until I saw my first typhoon. Even if not typhoon level the wind can blow so hard there that the rain falls horizontally, which means it would enter into the spaces between the tiles, which are not sealed. Metal roofs will stand up to that, whereas tiles would either be ripped off or leak. The downside, as someone already mentioned, is that they are extremely noisy when it rains, and I mean really loud. Thailand just doesn't get the kind of weather the Philippines does so tiles are a much better option here. Our house has had CPAC Monier roof tiles for 14 years and it is still as good as new and when it rains you hear nothing.