Do You Have A Plan On What Will Happen After You Die?

rideswings

Im just wondering how many of you have made plans on what will happen to your body and your assets after you die. I want to be creamated and have my remains stay here in Thailand in a temple. I am also making a will so there will be clear instructions on who gets what. I have assets both here and in America, but my American assets have already been dealt with in a will. What do you plan to leave for your Thai wife and children? If you have family outside Thailand, what do you plan to leave to them and would they have to go to alot of trouble to collect any assets that are left to them?.

If I hire a Thai lawyer to create a will for me for my Thai assets would it be executed as it would be in America?

If it happens to me I wish to be burned within 24 hours, following muslim traditions. My best friends in town are muslim and we talked about this already.

It's real discusting what Buddhist Thais do with the bodies of dead family members, if not pervert (storing it in the garden for a week or more surrounded by fake gifts, taking it out of the coffin again etc. and all those environment unfriendly materials they use for decorations) I will avoid this for any price.

I NOT want my ashes to stay on temple area (too many dark spirits there), just to be dumped in a river or whatever.

I've instructed that I be cremated here at the temple where my wife's family were and my ashes spread in a local river.

As to my will (drawn up by my brother a solicitor) the beneficiaries of my assets are

My wife

Followed by my daughter to be held by my brother until she comes of age

Followed by my brother

Followed by his children.

Excluding some major catastrophe I think that's covered most bases!

If it happens to me I wish to be burned within 24 hours, following muslim traditions. My best friends in town are muslim and we talked about this already.

It's real discusting what Buddhist Thais do with the bodies of dead family members, if not pervert (storing it in the garden for a week or more surrounded by fake gifts, taking it out of the coffin again etc. and all those environment unfriendly materials they use for decorations) I will avoid this for any price.

I NOT want my ashes to stay on temple area (too many dark spirits there), just to be dumped in a river or whatever.

classy! Each country and religion have there own idea of what is respectable. And I think what you said there is very offensive.

For myself, I would rather be put in the ground 6 feet under. Cremation scares me for some sad reason, I don't like the thought of being burnt. Anyway, I probably won't have a choice, and suspect my wife will do what she thinks is best. She is a strong Budhist and I am not a great believer at all. Although I do believe in a higher being I just do not know what one. So I think it fair that she can do what she thinks is right.

Not concerned about the body, it ought to be disposed of but I don't care how.

As cancukamuck's stuffed corpse is propped up outside a local restaurant with a "T-Bone Steak Buffet 139 baht" sign fixed to his chest. :)

I don’t really care what happens to my body after I am dead. I have said to dispose of it the cheapest way possible. And about my assets, just done want it to go to any government, and then don’t really how is shared. Oh yeah plan to spend most or all before that day :)

As cancukamuck's stuffed corpse is propped up outside a local restaurant with a "T-Bone Steak Buffet 139 baht" sign fixed to his chest. :)

Suits me fine, but i would prefer it be imported beef.

classy! Each country and religion have there own idea of what is respectable. And I think what you said there is very offensive.

It's not offensive, just telling it like it is. And to a Westerner some of the practices don't sit well.

I have seen some horrible things happen at funerals here, including bodies not catching light, or being only half burnt.My personal prefererance is not to be surrounded by plastic flowers, fake gifts etc.

For some they don't like the idea of being burnt, then if I can quote my Ex, he didn't want to be buried because he said he didn't want worms crawling in his holes.

I have sidestepped the issue by leaving my funeral arrangements to my son to do as he sees fit, saves me agonising over it.

Also he is the one that has to cope with my death, some people can;'t come to terms with a family member rotting away beneath the ground, then others can't cope with cremation as suddenly your loved one is just dust, so I guess he will do what he feels is right for him and me at the time.

I always liked the idea of the remains being laid on a above ground platform and allow nature to take its course. When I mentioned this to wife, the look of total disbelief and then 'do not talk about that, bad luck' and then 'I will do what I want as this is Thailand'. Guess I will go up in a blaze of glory at the local facility.

As cancukamuck's stuffed corpse is propped up outside a local restaurant with a "T-Bone Steak Buffet 139 baht" sign fixed to his chest. :D

I always wondered why there beef was so tuff! :)

I want to be cremated in the country in which I die. This is incorporated in my Thai and UK wills - I hope someone reads them before disposing of me :)

The will thing is important - if you haven't got a will in Thailand your wife will be 7th in the pecking order for any of your assets (I accept that you cannot own property so assets may be limited - still a 500k Baht car in your name ?.........)

Edited by Chaimai

Ever wondered why your religion is unpopular? 

Anyway, not being religious myself I'd quite like to donate my body to science. With any luck they might even do something similar to robocop and turn me into some awesome robot machine thing, that eats bacon sandwiches. Maybe Thaivisa could use a Robo-mod.

My remains are to be cremated and dumped in the Pacific. My mother, brother, and sister are all drifting around in the Pacific now and sometime in eternity I will catch up with them. My wife (farang also) is aware of my wishes so no problem.

My will leaves everything to my wife unless we both go at once, in that case it is divided evenly amongst our kids. So they have to wait for both of us to be gone before they get anything. With the way my wife is going I don't doubt that she will live to be over 100 so they have a long wait. Only the good die young so I will be around for a long time yet.

"If I hire a Thai lawyer to create a will for me for my Thai assets would it be executed as it would be in America?"

Good question by the OP, and I'd be interested if anyone has an answer. I've made a UK will relating to my assets in the UK only, to save my executors the hassle of tracking down my assets in Thailand, which are relatively small, and which I intend to leave to my wife (a car, a bit in the bank, and some personal effects). My wife is also one of the beneficiaries of my UK will.

I haven't got round to it yet, but I assume I can make a "Thailand-only" will to sit alongside the UK one.

Ummm, Muslims do not burn their bodies. The dead must be buried within 24 hours. It is offensive to Muslims, as it is to Jews to burn the dead. I do agree with your views about the theater of the funeral. However, wakes and viewings common to those of Christian beliefs are similar. I offer that the Muslim and Jewish approach to a funeral is the most responsible and ecologically sound. The dead are to be buried in simple burial shrouds, in a simple coffin. There is no embalming, which means there is no runoff of toxic chemicals when the coffin and body decompose. Jews don't even allow for nails to be used in the coffin or for large tombstones or crypts. Of course, the world being what it is, some Muslims and Jews have adopted western commercialized treatments of the process.

The money spent on a lavish funeral would do far more good if spent on the living or in planting trees dedicated to the memory of the deceased.

Ideally, I would like my remains to be chopped up in a meat grinder and spread on the nearest trout stream... And, in so doing, let the fishes have the last laugh at my expense. Unfortunately, that is not legal, so I guess I have to go along with the cremation thing. I don't care what happens after that. It is only the good memories I would like to leave behind.

It's not offensive, just telling it like it is. And to a Westerner some of the practices don't sit well.

I have seen some horrible things happen at funerals here, including bodies not catching light, or being only half burnt.My personal prefererance is not to be surrounded by plastic flowers, fake gifts etc.

For some they don't like the idea of being burnt, then if I can quote my Ex, he didn't want to be buried because he said he didn't want worms crawling in his holes.

I have sidestepped the issue by leaving my funeral arrangements to my son to do as he sees fit, saves me agonising over it.

Also he is the one that has to cope with my death, some people can;'t come to terms with a family member rotting away beneath the ground, then others can't cope with cremation as suddenly your loved one is just dust, so I guess he will do what he feels is right for him and me at the time.

those whole funeral rituals have nothing to with buddhism, just based on fear... big big fear insecurity and superstitiousness, scaring evil spirits away with fireworks etc. thats not buddhism etc. but that's another discussion.

was it china or taiwan where the gov has forbidden burning fake presents for the dead because it's just plain stupid and getting worse ?

when talking about respect for the dead how about a body rotting in a coffin for at least a week, decorated with useless plastic crap, liquids dripping out of the coffin, beer crats stacked 6 high and people just eating, getting drunk and play popmusic... that goes on for days and when the smell becomes too worse they drag the rotten remains away to be burned, but in front of the althar take it out of the coffin again to say goodbye pukey.gifpukey.gifpukey.gifpukey.gif

respect and grieve for him who passed away, or just culturally self-occupied with perverse nonsense ?

I offer that the Muslim and Jewish approach to a funeral is the most responsible and ecologically sound. The dead are to be buried in simple burial shrouds, in a simple coffin. There is no embalming, which means there is no runoff of toxic chemicals when the coffin and body decompose. Jews don't even allow for nails to be used in the coffin or for large tombstones or crypts.

The money spent on a lavish funeral would do far more good if spent on the living or in planting trees dedicated to the memory of the deceased.

:D

is one of the essenses of buddhism also not 'leaving with nothing' ?

however, i more or less respect cultures that are not mine and only share personal vision, not intended as judging that's lord buddha's job :)

to be burned on a high mountaintop by just few close friends, (without gasoline to lit the fire!!!) a tree to be planted, as i do for my dogs.... sounds most peaceful to me.

no party... just a positive thought..

---

TWEET: coffeetime here

When I was young, I had hoped that if I accidentally checked out early that it would be in a blaze of glory. Now that I am much older and the glory is pretty much gone, the only blaze I plan to experience will be that of the cremation ovens, After that I have directed that my ashes be scattered in the Mekong River.

My second wife died, could not risk burying her she would not stop talking even after the lid was closed :) so I had her cremated and her ashes sieved and put in an Eggtimer that have pride of place on my writing desk, so I can give her a shake up now and then :D wife number 3 has bought some extrastrength binbags, when I die she is going to me down to bribie and use my remains as Burley :D

Buddism basically says one should not be attatched to anything, including the body, there for after your dead what happens to you doesn't matter; i guess rituals and such is more for the benefit of those left behind. The state of mind just before you die is said to be very important and if you die a violent or unhappy death then prayers and things could help your passing.

Personally if i'm dead then fine, but just incase there's sum mix up i'd rather be cremated and dead for sure than wake up in a box underground. No bells these days.

My second wife died, could not risk burying her she would not stop talking even after the lid was closed :) so I had her cremated and her ashes sieved and put in an Eggtimer that have pride of place on my writing desk, so I can give her a shake up now and then :D wife number 3 has bought some extrastrength binbags, when I die she is going to me down to bribie and use my remains as Burley :D

I like this guy :D