If Your Beer Is Flat, Don't Bring Back!

Jezz

I was amused this morning when my wife went to the local village store and came back with a message from the owner telling me not to return any more bottles of beer even if they are flat when opening. Last night I returned one bottle of Chang and the lady owner smilingly gave me a replacement. I probably spend more money in her shop than anyone else in the village and have done so for over a year. Yet she explained to my wife that my returned bottle has cost her money! Ah well!

Another amusing tale relates to the electrician and air conditioning installers working on our new house. The chap doing the electrics installed the outdoor cables low down on the outside wall to connect to the fans. Then he arranged for the air conditioning man to come and survey the proposed installation. Oh dear! Wrong place - too far away from where the inside units will go - we'll have to stick the fans high up on the wall and join the cable. Now had he checked the day before they knocked a hole through the wall, all would have been fine. But I'm still smiling - a bit.

well those maa & paa stores are not exactly on a huge margin you know.

I remember one near my building selling bottles of beer leo for 40 baht when the long walk to a carefour would save you the pricely sum of 2 baht..

Come on man,can you even tell the differance when chang is flat? its a horrid brew at the best of times

If you get a flat one then try opening another one and mixing a little in bit by bit with more ice..wont kill ya!

well those maa & paa stores are not exactly on a huge margin you know.

I remember one near my building selling bottles of beer leo for 40 baht when the long walk to a carefour would save you the pricely sum of 2 baht..

Come on man,can you even tell the differance when chang is flat? its a horrid brew at the best of times

If you get a flat one then try opening another one and mixing a little in bit by bit with more ice..wont kill ya!

Ooops! Was only meant as a light Sunday morning tale! Anyway, Chang's my tipple - and no ice.

Archa!!! all the way 32 baht in my local shop/one tabled bar,village life if you can"t beat em join em!

12x32=384 baht

how much is a case of Archa?...350/360??

where is the profit?

Archa's OK, but Chang's got a bit more bite, straight from the bottle when nice and gassy and no sign of ice. Anyway, I'll pop into the shop later and have a couple of Archas round the table with the local lads - and with ice to keep them company. That'll compensate for having a "freebie" last night. And just for the record - village life is great. That's why I'm here.

Archa!!! all the way 32 baht in my local shop/one tabled bar,village life if you can"t beat em join em!

12x32=384 baht

where is the profit?

Archa's OK, but Chang's got a bit more bite, straight from the bottle when nice and gassy and no sign of ice. Anyway, I'll pop into the shop later and have a couple of Archas round the table with the local lads - and with ice to keep them company. That'll compensate for having a "freebie" last night. And just for the record - village life is great. That's why I'm here.

I buy by the box anyway at the local wholesaler. And I've never had a flat bottle of beer on opening.

Totster :)

12x32=384 baht

where is the profit?

I buy by the box anyway at the local wholesaler. And I've never had a flat bottle of beer on opening.

Just heard that the electrician is joing us round the table for a beer to discuss what to do with the hole he knocked in the wrong place. Perhaps we can stuff it up with beer box cartons!

12x32=384 baht

where is the profit?

Just heard that the electrician is joing us round the table for a beer to discuss what to do with the hole he knocked in the wrong place. Perhaps we can stuff it up with beer box cartons!

Just don"t let him do any work after a few changs/archers!!

I am sure he will think of something,they are good at job creation :D

If you get a flat one, put it back in the fridge and wait for the next visitor that takes it with ice......shouldn't have to wait too long!!

Often a half drunk bottle is recapped and popped back in the fridge......in my experience.

Edited by 473geo

12x32=384 baht

where is the profit?

I like your style Jezz.

I used to be a Chang man but after reading a beer thread I gave the Leo a try, no turning back I'm afraid.

Wouldn't say no to a freebie though.

I have to add my weight behind LEO (it has actually contributed to that weight).

Since first coming to Thailand 4 years ago my drinking preferences have been something like this:-

Heineken

Tiger

Singha

Chang

Leo

There have obviously been flirtations with Archa and San Mig Light but the palate seems to have settled on Leo.

I have to add my weight behind LEO (it has actually contributed to that weight).

Since first coming to Thailand 4 years ago my drinking preferences have been something like this:-

Heineken

Tiger

Singha

Chang

Leo

There have obviously been flirtations with Archa and San Mig Light but the palate seems to have settled on Leo.

could be a poll on the cards!! :)

pretty much the same as you though cm

Heineken

Singha

Tiger

Chang

Archa

Leo

If all else fails then its the JD and coke!

Heineken

Tiger

Singha

Chang

Leo

could be a poll on the cards!! :)

pretty much the same as you though cm

Heineken

Singha

Tiger

Chang

Archa

Leo

If all else fails then its the JD and coke!

Well, guys, what started out as a lighthearted remark about beer and workers has turned out to be an issue of national importance - which beer is best? Could this be the start of a Thailand-wide "Wot Beer?" poll? But I've still got that unneccessary hole in my wall - and an electrician who sank a lot of Archer. Will I see him on the job tomorrow?

PS:- Ditty about beer affects on the anal region:

"A bottle of Chang delivers a bang

while Archa is more of a fa..er

Now Leo is nice, 'specially with ice

But Singha's a bit of a stinger"

12x32=384 baht

where is the profit?

It is certainly cheap but it also horrible!

Chang comes a close second in the price versus taste contest.

Still on the Chang phase myself, (and savouring every bottle....no ice!), but then I've only been here full time for 2 months. Will no doubt revert to Archa when I move from BKK up North, on a permanent basis, in two weeks time, as that seems to be the favoured brew in my G/F's families village, if my memory serves me right from my last stay there.

Welcome to village life.

Chances are it will not get a lot better, learn to live with it and smile.

I would never take a flat beer or anything else back.I just write it off as a bad draw. :):D:D

I guess it's fair to say that a small village shop would be unable to claim replacements from the supplier, so point taken. Anyone up for a flat beer?

All rubbish beers compared to properly brewed beer (even lager if its German and non-industrial in nature).

I'm surprised the OP had a flat one - I left a bottle of Leo opened for 24 hours recently and was amazed to find it still had fizz in it and some taste. A proper beer (without additives that screw up your body over time) would have been foul after that period.

But then a beer is better than no beer, so you will even see me drinking Archa as I go with the flow in my Archa-drinking Issan village. Chang if at home.

Hoping to take the motor to Cambodia and pick up a few cases of dark beer to break the Thai cartel monotony.

[uK Campaign For Real Ale member (sandals but not fat and no beard!)]