Silom Road Closes For Stint As Walking Street; 55 Shops Participate

george

Silom Road closes for stint as walking street; 55 shops participate

BANGKOK: -- A stretch of Silom Road, in the heart of the Thai capital’s business district, is closed to traffic Sunday from 10am to midnight to allow people to freely wander and shop in the area.

More than 100,000 people are expected to roam the usually busy road as the stretch of it between the Sala Daeng intersection in front of the Dusit Thani Hotel and Narathiwat Rajanakarin intersection closed to traffic during the period for a distance of two kilometres.

Fifty-five renowned shops, hotels and restaurants in the capital will display their products on the street while six platforms have been built temporarily to exhibit Thai culture and play, including music and Thai boxing.

According to Surakiat Limcharoen, Bang Rak district chief, more than 100,000 Thai and foreign tourists are expected to visit Silom and buy products in which more than Bt30 million is expected to change hands.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra is scheduled to preside over the opening ceremony of the one-day closing of Silom Road while 283 rounds of fireworks will be ignited at 6.30pm.

Although it is unknown whether a similar closure of Silom Road for walking street will be held in future, it is hoped that if the event is held successfully on Sunday, concerned authorities will likely hold it again with an objective to spur tourism and shopping activities.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-01-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

a few years agop they did the same=the opening day was enlivened up by the then Prime Minister, a certain. Mr. Thaksin. I think it lasted for nearly 2 years-untill it was nearly dead and considered too much of a traffic barrage to keep on. But the idea of that time was to give a chance to private individuals, artists, small-art, etc. But of course, this being bisnis-centre Thailand, the big guys soon forced them ouit of the way.

Why not simply move this whole traffic nuisance on to Suan Lum-quite nearby-and already quite made up for selling and music-by opening it a few hours eraly?

What date will this Sunday traffic-free day happen? Just says "Sunday" in the OP which isn't much use as there are 52 of them in the year!

Drove by there yesterday didn't see 100,000 people but then again it is Silom we are talking about.

It was sponsored by Chang beer and they were selling beer at 25 baht. No other pub/restaurant businesses in the area could compete with them prices. The Thai arts and music was Thai Death Metal, and the noise pollution was unbearable. It was an absolute racket, with up to 4 Thai girls on a microphone at any one time.

I did not see anyone spending money; most of the people walking around were Thai teenyboppers! They don’t spend.

I personally think it was a waste of time.

Yep it was pretty grim, I'd planned on spending a few hours there shopping and watching the shows but I just couldn't stand the noise of all the stages competing with each other. The stalls that I saw (before diving into The Duke of Wellington for some peace) only seemed to be selling the same type of food that you can get at any Thai food stall. I saw the beer stands but when I passed they were pretty empty, presumably because no-one could sit amongst the noise for long enough to eat or drink.

A bit of a shame as it was a good idea and could have been a good event.

You have to worry when even Beer Chang for 25 Baht can't rescue an event...!

Look at the whole area, free beer wouldn't bring the families down to the watering hole that is Silom for the jackels and hyenas to make easier prey upon the.

"Kloster-phobic, smelly, loud and full of the very best 1 baht an hour tuk tuk drivers the city can offer, Silom is quickly becoming a must visit for those with a taste for adventure...."

Other than that, it's a nice area.

Well, the event seemed successful thru my eyes, I mean, when I was there 3pm - 7pm there was street to street wall to wall tons of people, eating, watching, walking, etc, I ate all the food, drank all the beers and had fun :)