Thailand To Dispatch Rice For Haitian Earthquake Victims

webfact

Thailand to dispatch rice for Haitian earthquake victims

BANGKOK, Jan 17 (TNA) -- A Thai committee tasked with assisting victims of natural disaster overseas will meet Tuesday to discuss help for earthquake victims in Haiti and may decide to dispatch rice to help them, a senior official said on Sunday.

Thepthai Senpong, spokesman for Democrat Party leader and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, said the committee, headed by Permanent Secretary for

Foreign Affairs Veerasak Futrakul, would discuss giving more assistance to Haitian earthquake victims.

Its decision will be forwarded to the Cabinet for approval, Mr. Thepthai said.

The victims face acute food shortages, said Mr Thepthai, and Thailand, as a major world food producer, could send rice to help the victims.

Some 50,000 bodies have been collected and 1.5 million homeless estimated so far after the 7.0 magnitude quake hit Haiti on Tuesday and flattened much of its capital. There are fears that death toll could reach 200,000. It is estimated that two million people need urgent food aid.

The plan to dispatch rice to needy Haitians came after criticisms that the Thai government’s earlier decision to donate US$20,000 to Haiti was too little, but Mr. Thepthai explained that the donation of US$20,000 in relief aid was only initial assistance. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-01-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Well the initial cash was too little, and that was the point, it is still early on and CASH is what's needed the most to buy basic survival and medical supplies ASAP. But its good to hear they are responding to criticism. So lame excuse, encouraging sign of correction, but they really should send more CASH now. It will take time to get the rice thing together.

Edited by Jingthing

Well the initial cash was too little, and that was the point, it is still early on and CASH is what's needed the most to buy basic survival and medical supplies ASAP. But its good to hear they are responding to criticism. So lame excuse, encouraging sign of correction, but they really should send more CASH now. It will take time to get the rice thing together.

You are correct cash is needed. The people of Haiti have nothing to cook the rice with. Charcoal is used to cook in Haiti, which has resulted in deforestation, cutting trees to burn the wood to make charcoal to cook. Sounds crazy but that is what they do. Rice will not help as it has to be boiled. In reality most aid efforts are fruitless. Haiti is Haiti and countries have discussed abandoning it totally. Many people believe the Haitians made a pact with the devil 200 years ago to free them from the French and this is the result. Voodo voodo. Here in North America they are saying not to bother to collect food supplies money only.

Many people believe the Haitians made a pact with the devil 200 years ago to free them from the French and this is the result.

I see. I guess there are "many" very crazy people then. I did hear that crazy right wing American fundamentalist Pat Robertson said that. Shame on him! The same kind of people who said New Orleans deserved to be flooded because of their tolerance of gay people. The earth shook because of a pact with the devil 200 years ago? That is insane, even if the pact was made last week, still insane.

Yes, right now, cash is the most urgent need because that can be used to buy supplies in places CLOSE to Haiti and get them in right away, because right now many thousands of people are at risk of dying very soon for want of really basic things. As far as specially trained rescue teams to get people out of the rubble, well the time frame for that is now almost over.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/14/po...ry6096806.shtml

Edited by Jingthing

:) Seems they finally read my post in another thread with the idea of sending tons of rice to the

population of Haiti .

Doesn't take away the fact that 20k is just a ridiculous amount to come forward with , especially after what Thailand

itself received of aid from all around the World in the aftermath of the tsunami , they should be ashamed big time .

They will not regain face , but indeed it is much needed to top the amount up with a couple of more zero's behind the given amount ,

I feel so much for these people its worse that the worst nightmare .

Edited by tijnebijn

You are correct cash is needed. The people of Haiti have nothing to cook the rice with. Charcoal is used to cook in Haiti, which has resulted in deforestation, cutting trees to burn the wood to make charcoal to cook. Sounds crazy but that is what they do. Rice will not help as it has to be boiled. In reality most aid efforts are fruitless. Haiti is Haiti and countries have discussed abandoning it totally. Many people believe the Haitians made a pact with the devil 200 years ago to free them from the French and this is the result. Voodo voodo. Here in North America they are saying not to bother to collect food supplies money only.

Better keep quiet than giving out such stupid comments on a horrible happening as in Haiti, whatever you have to say to keep it civil would be appreciated , not wishy washy talking as you do .

Edited by tijnebijn

Better keep quiet than giving out such stupid comments on a horrible happening as in Haiti, whatever you have to say to keep it civil would be appreciated , not wishy washy talking as you do .

Just another Pat Robertson want-to-be. Consider the source.

I am happy that Thailand is stepping up to the plate. Whether the amount given is too small or not, they still gave, and now they are giving more.

If the people can't cook the rice, I am sure that feeding centers will be able to do so.

The fact remains that RIGHT NOW the people organizing the aid effort are SPECIFICALLY asking for CASH. I am sure the rice will help LATER, and the way the article is written they are definitely talking about later. You can't run away from the fact that 20K USD is an inadequate response from the government of Thailand for the most critical phase of the life saving operation, which is basically now. People who haven't eaten or had clean water for days and are sleeping in fields, can't eat the promises of rice sometime in the future nor can those promises buy them the meds they need right now to save them from dying from injury infections.

Edited by Jingthing

Whilst I agree with what you are saying Jingthing. Perhaps a G2G deal with a neighbouring country like Venezula, Cuba or even Jamaica would work better. The promise of a certain quantity of rice to be despatched soon, in return for a similar amount (value wise) in essential foods and medicine to be sent immediately to Haiti

Again, there is no time to negotiate international trade deals. A cash wire can happen in HOURS. Sorry, I am just not buying these excuses. If Thailand doesn't feel they have the need to be responsible this way in a crisis in a foreign country, so be it and own up to that reality, but what grates a bit is acting like the response has been adequate, when it clearly has not.

Edited by Jingthing

Again, there is no time to negotiate international trade deals. A cash wire can happen in HOURS. Sorry, I am just not buying these excuses. If Thailand doesn't feel they have the need to be responsible this way in a crisis in a foreign country, so be it and own up to that reality, but what grates a bit is acting like the response has been adequate, when it clearly has not.

The whole culture in Thailand is "not my business, not my problem" so I'm not surprised that they are not helping much, after all Thailand does not have a good record of helping on the international stage. If you ever witness a motorcycle accident in Thailand notice how few people actually help the injured.Perhaps Budhism doesnt require that you help your neighbour but rather go around trying to get merit for yourself for personal interest.

Dispatch rice?

Offer rice?

That isn't quite the same as flying a plane full of rice to Haiti.

The price of a chartered "empty" cargo plane to Haiti would approach their paltry initial outlay of $20,000.

My guess is they'll float it over sometime later this year, if at all.

The later rice will be helpful. Rice is part of the Caribbean diet. However, the way things are going they aren't going to need as much rice, as there won't be as many Haitians.

The quake deaths were an act of nature and/or God and the result of the poverty of poor construction, but most of the post quake deaths are about the world's response. The Haitians themselves are almost helpless right now.

Just to add something positive. For the Haitians that survive this, this will be a new beginning. The major city of their country will need to be almost completely rebuilt. It is a chance to rebuild it much better with the international attention that may just help them do it. Historians often say that the great 1906 San Francisco earthquake that totally destroyed the city was the best thing that ever happened to the city (the city, not the victims, of course).

Edited by Jingthing

I certainly think that there is no such thing as too little of a donation. After all, donation is a choice... a voluntary one too.

It's actually very opinion based as well... some may think $20,000 is too little but others may think that's much better than nothing. But for a country about the size of Thailand I am sure that $20,000 is too little and I think that donating money is probably not a very good option. Just do what the country can do best, and I think supplying food to them is probably better.

EDIT: Microsoft alone donated $1.25m btw.

Edited by infernalman7

made a pact with the devil 200 years ago to free them from the French and this is the result. Voodo voodo. Here in North America they are saying not to bother to collect food supplies money only.

Well, I can understand (and enjoy mocking) America's sulk with Cuba and (until recently) Vietnam, having had their ass comprehensively kicked by them militarily, but Toussaint L'Overture's slave rebellion on Haiti in 1791, which effectively marked the end of established African slavery - at least outside the United States - is a little long in the tooth for such barmy racism.

Let me know once the Thai government actually donates something substantive. :)

Whilst I agree with what you are saying Jingthing. Perhaps a G2G deal with a neighbouring country like Venezula, Cuba or even Jamaica would work better. The promise of a certain quantity of rice to be despatched soon, in return for a similar amount (value wise) in essential foods and medicine to be sent immediately to Haiti

Despite the poverty of Haiti, no one is starving and or has starved in the past 50 years. The US and Canadian government provide enough food aid to keep the population plump. The Thai government may offer rice, but what's the point? Haiti has more than it needs courtesy of the USDA. Until the port is repaired there is no point in sending rice since it would not be unloaded for several months and would most likely rot before it reached anyone's plate. Essential medicines are provided by these 2 foreign governments as well. There really is no industrial base in Haiti except for subsistence agriculture and tourism. About 35% of the national budget is derived from foreign aid, coming primarily from the USA and Canada. Canada recently forgave all of Haiti's debt. Nothing much can be done with Haiti because the educated people have for the most part fled to Canada and the USA. There are limited natural resources, no major sources of energy, and limited access to potable water.

All that exists is a big defoliated garbage pit populated by people with a high rate of reproduction.

The Cubans have provided medical facilities and outreach doctors for many years. Jamaica? They wouldn't lift a finger for anyone. Venezuala will never give anything substantive to Haiti as Haiti is perceived as being allied to the USA & Canada and I don't think residents complexion endears them to Mr. Chavez. (Welcome to the lovely world of Latin American and Carribean politics. This should bring home to some people one of the reasons the Dominican Republic looks down upon Haiti.)

Take a good long look at Haiti. That is what would happen to Thailand if the water supplies and watersheds that sustain the nation were disrupted. This is why it is so important that the current government and all successive governments fight hard to protect all its water resource and ensure that Thailand's forest reserves and agricultural lands are respected.

I certainly think that there is no such thing as too little of a donation. After all, donation is a choice... a voluntary one too.
Well that would be the polite thing. But this is nations and politics, not what gift your Auntie Beatrice gave at your wedding. Objectively, 20K USD is too little for these reasons

-- Thailand and the USA are close allies

-- the current ties between the USA and Haiti are very close (even before the earthquake); this started under Bill Clinton who was key in raising money to help with tsunami relief

-- the USA government and people gave massively to Thailand's aid during the tsunami

-- Politically, Thailand has an ethical (I won't say moral) debt to other countries that helped them during their crisis AND they have the ability to pay much more than 20K USD (Haiti being closely linked now with the USA was an opportunity for Thailand to do the right thing; they did not)

-- the per capita GDP of Thailand is well over 10 times that of Haiti and it has a much larger population

-- of course, the best reasons to give are from the heart because of the obvious common humanity we all share with the suffering people of Haiti, but again we are talking about nations and politics here

Edited by Jingthing

Nothing much can be done with Haiti because the educated people have for the most part fled to Canada and the USA. There are limited natural resources, no major sources of energy, and limited access to potable water.

All that exists is a big defoliated garbage pit populated by people with a high rate of reproduction.

Take a good long look at Haiti.

I did, and saw the presidential palace albeit a little damaged. I wonder what priority will be given to effecting repairs of the top dog's residence, an incongruent edifice considering the lot of the Haitian people. Will we witness another example of avarice and greed, unconcern for the plight of the common people and a massive feathering of nests as witnessed in LoS after the tsunami?

Following Thailand's example of benefice I have formed a committee to meet in the next 30 days to consider whether I need to send a donation of $1 and 5kg of rice.

Actually, there are were hopeful signs before the quake as far as nation rebuilding/reforestation plans and signs of reduced government corruption.

I really don't know what a presidential palace has to do with emergency earthquake aid. It is an independent country. I am sure the president will someday have a nice house again, that's hardly going to make or break Haiti.

The http://www.clintonbushhaitifund.org/ organization is making vetting donor recipients for ethics a priority so people don't waste their donations. No human effort is perfect.

Edited by Jingthing

I am happy that Thailand is stepping up to the plate. Whether the amount given is too small or not, they still gave, and now they are giving more.

If the people can't cook the rice, I am sure that feeding centers will be able to do so.

The UN puts Haiti's population at about 8 million. How many feeding centers would you need to feed BKK? The people need to feed themselves.

Just to update, the Thai media this morning reports that the private businesses in Thailand now have the total of $400,000 to give. Phone operators will start opening SMS donation for the general public to donate soon.

What about the government? Aren't they going to do anything at all?

HAITI'S DISASTER

Haiti appeals launched to boost 'stingy' aid donation

By THE NATION

Published on January 18, 2010

Government defends $20,000 offer as 'preliminary' and will consider more help

Amid criticism the government was too slow and too stingy in responding to the calamity in Haiti, the private sector and charities have launched drives for contributions in cash and kind from concerned citizens.

The catastrophe killed more than 50,000 people and injured some 250,000 in the country last week, according to the Haitian government's estimate.

The Thai government's offer of $20,000 (Bt657,000) was too little to contribute anything to international efforts to redress the huge damage.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban earlier defended the government's assessment, saying the $20,000 was preliminary and the Cabinet could approve more if really needed.

The Thai Red Cross opened an account at Siam Commercial Bank to receive cash donations from citizens wishing to contribute to international relief efforts.

Sorayudh Sutassanajinda, a popular television anchor, also opened a bank account to mobilise funds to help survivors in devastated Haiti.

Some Bt6 million have already been deposited in the accounts and many famous figures have volunteered to donate significant sums to Sorayudh's account, a staff member said.

"Most donors transferred hundreds of baht each to the account while many big names have expressed their willingness to donate as much as hundreds of thousands or even a million into the account," she said.

Several mobile phone operators are considering accepting donations via a short message.

The idea is similar to sending a text to reality television shows. For example, by texting the word "Haiti" to the TV programme, Bt10 would automatically go into the account for Haiti relief.

The senders would settle the bill for the SMS donations with the mobile phone companies later.

Chaturon Chaisaeng, an acting leader of the now dissolved Thai Rak Thai Party, made a plea via Twitter for contributions from Thais to help quake victims in Haiti.

Many people posted on Twitter that cash was easier to handle than heavy stuff since Haiti is far away from Thailand.

Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, secretary to the foreign minister, said the Foreign Ministry would call a meeting tomorrow to brainstorm with government agencies on how to help quake-ravaged Haiti.

"We have to wait for the damage assessment from the United Nations and then consider sending what the country really needs," he said.

The ministry might ask the Cabinet for more budget to help the Haitians and prepare medical personnel to join international relief efforts, he said.

If rehabilitation was needed, the government would dispatch troops to help, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-18

Actually, there are were hopeful signs before the quake as far as nation rebuilding/reforestation plans and signs of reduced government corruption.

I really don't know what a presidential palace has to do with emergency earthquake aid. It is an independent country. I am sure the president will someday have a nice house again, that's hardly going to make or break Haiti.

The http://www.clintonbushhaitifund.org/ organization is making vetting donor recipients for ethics a priority so people don't waste their donations. No human effort is perfect.

Give some thought to where most of the money donated to Thailand after the tsunami.went. To all the usual suspects. Very little to the small people and none to the immigrant peoples that did all the dirty jobs. For rebuilding hotels owned by phu yais read presidential palace.

I hope that money will be spent clearing away the rubble, providing power and potable water, resetting bones, stitching people up, feeding the hungry, building hospitals and schools before hotels (and presidential palaces) see a cent of it. It may be a minor blessing for the country for the 'haves' to experience being a 'have not' for a while.

" Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, secretary to the foreign minister, said the Foreign Ministry would call a meeting tomorrow to brainstorm with government agencies on how to help quake-ravaged Haiti."

--a brain storming session? by the Thai government? by any government? Could be interesting.

HAITI'S DISASTER

Haiti appeals launched to boost 'stingy' aid donation

By THE NATION

Published on January 18, 2010

Government defends $20,000 offer as 'preliminary' and will consider more help

Amid criticism the government was too slow and too stingy in responding to the calamity in Haiti, the private sector and charities have launched drives for contributions in cash and kind from concerned citizens.

The catastrophe killed more than 50,000 people and injured some 250,000 in the country last week, according to the Haitian government's estimate.

The Thai government's offer of $20,000 (Bt657,000) was too little to contribute anything to international efforts to redress the huge damage.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban earlier defended the government's assessment, saying the $20,000 was preliminary and the Cabinet could approve more if really needed.

The Thai Red Cross opened an account at Siam Commercial Bank to receive cash donations from citizens wishing to contribute to international relief efforts.

Sorayudh Sutassanajinda, a popular television anchor, also opened a bank account to mobilise funds to help survivors in devastated Haiti.

Some Bt6 million have already been deposited in the accounts and many famous figures have volunteered to donate significant sums to Sorayudh's account, a staff member said.

"Most donors transferred hundreds of baht each to the account while many big names have expressed their willingness to donate as much as hundreds of thousands or even a million into the account," she said.

Several mobile phone operators are considering accepting donations via a short message.

The idea is similar to sending a text to reality television shows. For example, by texting the word "Haiti" to the TV programme, Bt10 would automatically go into the account for Haiti relief.

The senders would settle the bill for the SMS donations with the mobile phone companies later.

Chaturon Chaisaeng, an acting leader of the now dissolved Thai Rak Thai Party, made a plea via Twitter for contributions from Thais to help quake victims in Haiti.

Many people posted on Twitter that cash was easier to handle than heavy stuff since Haiti is far away from Thailand.

Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, secretary to the foreign minister, said the Foreign Ministry would call a meeting tomorrow to brainstorm with government agencies on how to help quake-ravaged Haiti.

"We have to wait for the damage assessment from the United Nations and then consider sending what the country really needs," he said.

The ministry might ask the Cabinet for more budget to help the Haitians and prepare medical personnel to join international relief efforts, he said.

If rehabilitation was needed, the government would dispatch troops to help, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-18

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban would do well to Look at the latest Forbes listings of the richest people and ask some of the Thai people that top that list to dip there hands in their pockets to help their fellow man. Some of these people have huge amounts of money more than they could ever spend in their lifetimes.Don't they need to earn merit? I just cant believe how KEENEEOWW this Government/country is it seems to me that Budhists don't care about people.