Thailand Focuses On High Spending Tourists, Not Numbers

george

604 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news is that Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines and even Lao will gain from this.

In fact, if you travel to those countries and ask the locals what they think about Thailand, the reply is simple: NUTS!

Very true.

Savannakhet, Laos has now set their focus at a tourist destination. They are happy to attract the tourists Thailand throws away. Lots of new guesthouses & hotels have gone up recently.

Even the banks are gaining a surge of new Thai depositors, concerned about the current state of the nation. This is a place, which, until 3 years ago, did not have an ATM.

Edited by momentumwaves

See the headline.

"CEO of McDonalds beaten up by pilot"

- Jim Skinner, CEO of McDonalds, is in hospital with multiple fractures after being assaulted by the pilot of his Thai rented corporate jet over a disagreement regarding the fare.

From his hospital bed Mr Skinner said " We'd already agreed on a fee of $25000 USD per hour to fly me to Thailand but upon arrival the pilot demanded an extra $100000 dollars. When I refused to pay for what was only an 8000 mile journey the pilot left and returned with the co-pilot. They both began to assault me with a bottle of Moet Chandon and a sliver tray of Beluga caviar which they had taken from the plane's galley."

Police soon arrested the pilot, Mr Sombat Nomoralswhatsoever, who was found hiding on the roof of his brother in law's house in Saraburi after having fled the scene of the incident.

The co-pilot, Mr Wirat Iamacheatingbastard, is still on the run.

. . . priceless . . . lol :) . . . they need you to write the marketing materials I think . . .

Excuse me please but I have lived in Pattaya for almost eight years and have watched crime committed against foreigners esculate at an alarming rate. Many older retirees nolonger feel safe in their own homes here. The " suicide " rate amongst foreign residents is also very high. Hardly an athosphere conducive to attracting the rich.

"What we have found is that the characteristics of Thai people and services attract repeat visitors." ---

Certainly the tuk-tuk guys, jet ski operators, and the tailors are fully supportive of this marketing philosophy.

"Thailand is like no other place in the world,"---

You can say that again!!

I can see where the Thais are coming from. They see all the expats sat there in bars worrying about the price of beer and the real tourists flying in every year for a good 1 month blowout costing $4000. An expat doesn't throw much money around at the thai hotels, bars, restaurants, and other tourist attractions but spending their money at other expat establishments.

But a statement from your bank showing $20000 in your account 3 months before arrival

And zero in your account upon departure. :)

Same old TAT song and dance: "quality tourists, not quantity, blah, blah, blah..."

The good news is that Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines and even Lao will gain from this.

In fact, if you travel to those countries and ask the locals what they think about Thailand, the reply is simple: NUTS!

Last November, I wearily took my first trip to the Phils on a 1 week stint at the end of my 3 week trip in Thailand, after having come to LOS for the past 5 years, learning the language to a basical level and even learning to start to write. Sad to say, things in the Phils are about 2/3 the price of things in TH, I didnt get scammed once (I get people trying to scam me almost every time I go out of the hotel in TH), I didnt have anyone trying to reach between my legs to see what was there on my way to the 7/11, and hotel quality was much, much higher. Oh, I forgot to mention, there is more to see and do there than Wat after Wat. The oly thing that will keep me coming back (on very short trips) are the few friends I've made, and that will only be short trips to Isaan. Best of luck to the chaps at the tourism department of Thailand, who have managed to show the have about as much business nous as the Koreans down the road who open in a white area and dont have any english writing in their shopping at all.

I love the traditional culture, but the present day culture which expresses the view that foreigners are just walking wallets to service the needs of those that don't want to work normal jobs like the rest of the world do really puts one off after some time.

OH MY BUDDA, <deleted> are they dreaming about. Seems TAT is a real dream team :):D :D

younger people in developed countries LOL they should try to pin promotional leaflets on the blackboards in Harvard and Oxford first, its cheap and the

clientel is right there.....

TAT for president or he next government, it will be much funnier in LOScams then Laola2.gif

Quote:Thailand is like no other place in the world

where else get tourists beaten up by tuk-tuk drivers.But on the other hand high rollers are probably using helicopters.

11 million foreigners in the country and one of them gets beaten up by a tuk tuk driver, not so bad! I wonder how many foreigners in the US are shot dead every day :)

Yes! I got shot and killed twice in 1 year when I visited the states.

selective visitors ..

good idea

there are too many cheap charlie farang living in L.O.S.

and many think the thai economy , needs them .gods gift to asia , etc..

those days are long gone... :o

I doubt that anyone will come to Thailand when the s**t hits the fan next month with the court ruling on Thaksin. There will be blood on the streets again with Red and Yellow shirt mobs, Police and Military.

They had better be careful with their ruling on the case. :D:) Same old tune from TAT.

But on the other hand high rollers are probably using helicopters.

See the headline.

"CEO of McDonalds beaten up by pilot"

- Jim Skinner, CEO of McDonalds, is in hospital with multiple fractures after being assaulted by the pilot of his Thai rented corporate jet over a disagreement regarding the fare.

From his hospital bed Mr Skinner said " We'd already agreed on a fee of $25000 USD per hour to fly me to Thailand but upon arrival the pilot demanded an extra $100000 dollars. When I refused to pay for what was only an 8000 mile journey the pilot left and returned with the co-pilot. They both began to assault me with a bottle of Moet Chandon and a sliver tray of Beluga caviar which they had taken from the plane's galley."

that made my day. I am seriously in tears laughing at this headline. Thank you.

Police soon arrested the pilot, Mr Sombat Nomoralswhatsoever, who was found hiding on the roof of his brother in law's house in Saraburi after having fled the scene of the incident.

The co-pilot, Mr Wirat Iamacheatingbastard, is still on the run.

Wasn't this tried before and failed miserably to attract the rich?

Amazing Value to attract high rollers? Doesn't sound right. Also, do they believe that the cost of the Visa is barrier to high-roller travel?

I totally agree with the above. Incredible India seems for instance a much smarter and effective campaign. Amazing Value sounds like "Come to Thailand if you want a CHEAP holiday". Not a nice slogan and totally miss-directed if they are after high rollers. That will most likely put them off as they are not interested in staying in a 400 THB per night hotel and are looking for quality instead. TAT should concentrate on what's GOOD about Thailand like warm weather, beautiful scenery and delicious food. Basing a campaign on value also looks to me like re-enforcing stereotypes of Thai ladies going CHEAP.. the Amazing Value Ladies. But then again maybe that's what they are trying to say, indirectly.

I love Thailand but the people in charge of the country and it's scams are NUTS. Do these people have brains or just imagine up ridiculous new schemes thinking that no one else has tried them before.

Sigh...

Thailand can be a great country if not for the corruption and often not ridiculous policies.

I can see where the Thais are coming from. They see all the expats sat there in bars worrying about the price of beer and the real tourists flying in every year for a good 1 month blowout costing $4000. An expat doesn't throw much money around at the thai hotels, bars, restaurants, and other tourist attractions but spending their money at other expat establishments.

Afraid that's very naive. And it looks as if TAT are just as naive.

Expats may not spluge $4000 in a month. But we steadily spend, spend, spend throughout the year to way more than this.

And where do other "expat establishments" shell out money to get their food, beer, foodstuffs, staff, rent and taxes (not to mention Protection Money) cars, etc? And the expat takes a salary.....and where is that spent?

It all virtually ends up here in the local / national economy.

I would like to apply as governor for international marketing at TAT.

I have no idea about tourism, but I am still confident I can do a better job than the current managment

As long as you are good at wishful thinking, don't understand numbers, and have friends in the right places. I think you get the job.  :)

Age 20 - Tour Thailand as a broke backpacker, fall in love with the place, accept it's quirks and flaws, while spending $30 a day.

Age 30 - Return for your honeymoon. Spend most of the time in your bungalow, but still manage to spend $150 per day.

Age 35 - Return with the kids. You enjoy the beaches, they get to ride an elephant. Now spending $300 a day.

Age 40 - Second honeymoon, kids at granny's house. After 10 years you spend a lot more time shopping than anything, and spend $400 a day at a prime resort.

Age 50 - You're experience in the country prompts your boss to send you to Bangkok to build business contacts. You spend $500 a day and your boss spends much more importing Thai goods now.

Age 60 - You retire to your favourite holiday spot, contributing several thousand a month to the local economy and investing $60000 in a little condo.

Or......

You show up at 40, less open minded, having never experienced Thailand before, balk at the shoddy sidewalks, dangling electric wires, and luxury hotels that cost the same as they do in countries that are just as warm with much better infrastructure. You spend $400 a day, go home complaining and never come back.

I spend over 1.2 million baht a year in Thailand, who spends more, a tourist or me, TAT should focus on taking care of me and people like me, people who live here!
m

My annual expenditure is a little more than that, around 1.5 million baht. On top of that My wife and I provide support to an orphan foundation in the North and a country school in Buriram, and we are involved in various other activities which benefit the community financially.

So by only two TV members, there is more than 3 million baht being brought in to the Kingdom each year. Several people in my circle of acquaintances spend much more!!

What would the total amount being brought in to Thailand be by people in our situation? It would have to be in the tens of billions.

Cashed up younger set? Most of the young set that they are looking at have to save for 12 months or more for thier annual holiday. I don't know what Thailand thinks they young farang have they are not all flushed with cash. Maybe they are just looking for the Paris Hilton sect. Thailand thinks that farangs have money to burn and all are rich.

Edited by moetownblues

Afraid that's very naive. And it looks as if TAT are just as naive.

Expats may not spluge $4000 in a month. But we steadily spend, spend, spend throughout the year to way more than this.

And where do other "expat establishments" shell out money to get their food, beer, foodstuffs, staff, rent and taxes (not to mention Protection Money) cars, etc? And the expat takes a salary.....and where is that spent?

It all virtually ends up here in the local / national economy.

The locals don't look at it that way. They figured that if you weren't here (expats) earning a salary, paying taxes, contributing to the GDP, one of them would run your company and employ your staff.

Hi,

Well have read above with great interest. Yes Thailand has changed very much since I first went there back in the 80's (I am sure there are peps out there that have been going longer!)

Anyway, back then you felt safe, you hardly every got ripped off and Thai people went out of their way to help. Now that has changed, you almost everyday have to watch what you do etc etc.

Now has this been caused by the Thai's themselves? No I don't think so, it (in my opinion :) ) appears to be down to a certain level of Farang that you see shouting and causing trouble through to much to drink and not being respectful to locals. They over tip throw money around as if no tomorrow.

Sure spend money, enjoy yourself. But come on. Who wants to see LOUD DRUNKEN farangs acting as though they were back in there own country. I think that if they concentrated on providing attractions (lol as well as the present ones, which are very very good :D ) and provided a "idiots guide" to being sensible to these "lager" louts. then things should improve. Tourism in Thailand will pick up this year and you will probably find that it will be a record year for Tourism in LOS.

Last thing you want is high prices. Which is what you will get if they concentrate on "high rollers" Do you want to see you chang/Singa become 140 upwards a bottle in your normal bar? Bhat Bus/tuk tuk charging 3 times the price? NO things that attracts a lot of people to Thailand is the SUN, the Friendliness(fun) and good place to relax. So chill out and enjoy Thailand as it is or even was back years ago!

:D

I spend over 1.2 million baht a year in Thailand, who spends more, a tourist or me, TAT should focus on taking care of me and people like me, people who live here!
m

My annual expenditure is a little more than that, around 1.5 million baht. On top of that My wife and I provide support to an orphan foundation in the North and a country school in Buriram, and we are involved in various other activities which benefit the community financially.

So by only two TV members, there is more than 3 million baht being brought in to the Kingdom each year. Several people in my circle of acquaintances spend much more!!

What would the total amount being brought in to Thailand be by people in our situation? It would have to be in the tens of billions.

Can I join your club? I think I spend around also.

Me too and for spending that money I still have to deposit 400,000 Baht to prove that I can survive with my family here. A little off topic but very true!