Travel To Similan And Surin Islands

Interista

I will be in Thailand during July and August. Does anybody know the best way to get to the Similan and Surin Islands in this period? And was the area affected by the Tsunami?  I have never been there, so any info is a help.

Thanks

I was down south last week and spent some time talking with Sea Dragon Diving in Khao Lak, the oldest dive operators in the area serving those islands. They say the islands were minimally affected by the tsunami and are fully open to tourism again. Reef damage is estimated at an overall 5% or less, though some dive spots were hit worse than others -- ie some were untouched and some had quite a lot of wave damage. The islands themselves are fine, and the Moken on the Surin Islands are rebuilding their village there.

The least expensive way to reach the islands is via the cheap snorkelling trips run by Poseidon Bungalows (south of Khao Lak, and open through the rainy season). Any liveaboard operation out of Phuket can also take you there, as can dive ops in Khao Lak such as Sea Dragon.

Most of Khao Lak is now open. The resorts bulit on the beach were flattened, but practically every place up on the roadside or on the cliffs at the south end are fine. I counted at least 15 places to stay open in the KL area.

It's a good time to visit these islands as there hasn't been a time with these few divers in at least 10 years. Keep in mind, though, that July and August are the rainy season so visibility won't be what it is right now (divers were telling me the Andaman now has the best visibility in recent history). Certainly the locals will appreciate your business.

Hi,

The ferry operators stop all boats to the Similian and Surin Islands between May and October for the rainy season. The seas are simply too rough to risk. I'm not sure about private dive operators but presume it would be the same.