Cmu 1 Year Thai Study Program

charley1947

I have a very strong grudge against Payap, not a single cent will ever go towards them again.

Never say never! or ever...haha

With Payap? I have no problem stating this.

But many of the female students are absolutely WOW which makes up for a lot of things BA. :)

I have a very strong grudge against Payap, not a single cent will ever go towards them again.

Never say never! or ever...haha

With Payap? I have no problem stating this.

But many of the female students are absolutely WOW which makes up for a lot of things BA. :)

Not really when the person who they fuc_ked over was your wife.

I got a 1-yr EDU by signing up through the XXXXX School (pretty sure they still advertise on ThaiVisa). Great school and learning experience and they took care of everything. HOWEVER there are some things to consider...

You need to attend at least 4-hours a week for an EDU Visa. So, if you are really looking to learn, then watch what clas times you sign up for because if you sign up for classes that are 12-hours a week then 12-hours will be deducted from the total hours you paid for if you just attend the minimum 4.

It is my understanding the visa is still good for a year even if you finish your studies early (6-months) but double check on this.

You need to go to a Thai embassy outside of Thailand to get this Visa. Typically you will drop off your paperwork in the morning and pick it up the next day. I went to KL and that was a mistake because they only issue a single entry visa even though multi entries are available. You can still leave multiple times but requires you to go to immigration here in Thailand and spend the day and pay about 1900 BT to get the re-entry permit. I had to leave on an emergency for a week and thought I could fix the re-entry thing when I came back but think again ... my visa became worthless.

You will have to report to immigration every 90-days to bring paperwork from the school showing you are in good standing and I believe they also update any address change (report of address change.

It is also my understanding that you can sign-up again after a year and basically stay here for 3-years on an EDU visa without much problem.

Most any of the accredited schools will handle all the paperwork for you but it can take 4 to 6-weeks to get completed. However, there are ways to get it done faster but need to ask.

By the way, the school was great in terms of learning Thai. I had a ton going on at the time and missed a lot of classes but am thinking of calling them back to attend again even though I am on a different visa now. If I remember right, it is about 30k BT for the year plus all the visa fees and stuff. I'm hoping I can pay significantly less to just got to class and not need any Visa cr@p.

Then again ... I need to check to see if you can study in Thailand on a tourist visa. Obviously you cannot work but not sure about attending school.

I got a 1-yr EDU by signing up through the XXXXX School (pretty sure they still advertise on ThaiVisa). Great school and learning experience and they took care of everything. HOWEVER there are some things to consider...

You need to attend at least 4-hours a week for an EDU Visa. So, if you are really looking to learn, then watch what clas times you sign up for because if you sign up for classes that are 12-hours a week then 12-hours will be deducted from the total hours you paid for if you just attend the minimum 4.

It is my understanding the visa is still good for a year even if you finish your studies early (6-months) but double check on this.

You need to go to a Thai embassy outside of Thailand to get this Visa. Typically you will drop off your paperwork in the morning and pick it up the next day. I went to KL and that was a mistake because they only issue a single entry visa even though multi entries are available. You can still leave multiple times but requires you to go to immigration here in Thailand and spend the day and pay about 1900 BT to get the re-entry permit. I had to leave on an emergency for a week and thought I could fix the re-entry thing when I came back but think again ... my visa became worthless.

You will have to report to immigration every 90-days to bring paperwork from the school showing you are in good standing and I believe they also update any address change (report of address change.

It is also my understanding that you can sign-up again after a year and basically stay here for 3-years on an EDU visa without much problem.

Most any of the accredited schools will handle all the paperwork for you but it can take 4 to 6-weeks to get completed. However, there are ways to get it done faster but need to ask.

By the way, the school was great in terms of learning Thai. I had a ton going on at the time and missed a lot of classes but am thinking of calling them back to attend again even though I am on a different visa now. If I remember right, it is about 30k BT for the year plus all the visa fees and stuff. I'm hoping I can pay significantly less to just got to class and not need any Visa cr@p.

Then again ... I need to check to see if you can study in Thailand on a tourist visa. Obviously you cannot work but not sure about attending school.

PS. I left out the school name because of posting rules since they are an advertiser here but email or send me a note if you want to know more. It really was a fun experience and they have a school in BKK and Pattya.

There are two kinds of language schools.

1. Language schools in which one works hard to learn Thai. These schools require study and homework. Students attend principally to learn the language. Fortunately, they are less expensive or very much less expensive.

2. There are Visa schools in which one may learn a little Thai or may loaf. These (if you divide number of hours of instruction into costs) are much more expensive. As has been mentioned above, students who attend are often more interested in the visa than learning. This makes learning at these schools less important to classmates.

Within the schools which offer no promises of a visa, there are other threads to advise the student as to qualities.

Does CMULI offer shorter/modular Thai language courses?

Yes, they have about 15day courses 45 hours or so for 5000baht. You get assistance with a 3 month visa for about 500baht extra. the beginner one runs every month the next two when they get enough people. I can recommend the begginner one for beginners.

Just for interest CMU Language Institute has 2 completely seperate divisions that teach Thai....One with the short courses and another completely different section for the one year courses.

THe Education Faculty at CMU also runs courses but they are expensive at about 100000baht for 300 hours.

Edited by harrry

Does CMULI offer shorter/modular Thai language courses?

THe Education Faculty at CMU also runs courses but they are expensive at about 100000baht for 300 hours.

Thanks, Harrry. Could you tell me more about the course run by the Education faculty?