Bt1m Reward For Prove Thaksin Traded Temple For Oil Concessions

webfact

THAI-CAMBODIA MOU ON PREAH VIHEAR TEMPLE

Bt1m for anyone who prove pact get oil concessions in return

By The Nation

Published on January 19, 2010

Noppadon Pattana, spokesman for ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said he would reward Bt1 million to anyone who can prove that the former leader had traded the memorandum of understanding on Preah Vihear with petroleum concessions from Cambodia.

Noppadon declared this at a press conference organised to respond to allegations from the Democrats that Thaksin was mobilising his red shirts and planning to use Cambodia as a base to apply pressure on the Supreme Court's Office of Political Holders.

"The Democrats are trying to sling mud at Thaksin and his red-shirt supporters," Noppadon said. "If look back in history, someone had shouted [in a theatre] that Pridi [banomyong, the late statesman], had killed the King [Rama VIII]. That did not make it true"

Noppadon said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and other Democrats had shown up at the yellow shirt rallies, held during the time of Samak Sundarvej's government, to give them support. In fact, some Democrats even made public addresses on the yellow shirts' forum, he added.

A political storm is brewing ahead of the Supreme Court's verdict on Thaksin's Bt76-billion asset case slated for February 26, and the former PM is resorting to all sorts of tactics to regain his assets.

"I would like to stress that Thaksin would do nothing to hurt the country. How long the Democrats manage to remain the government is their business. Thaksin loves this country, and would not resort to any move to apply pressure on the Supreme Court," Noppadon said.

He added that the Democrats alleged that while he was foreign minister, he had signed an MoU with Cambodia on the inscription of Phreah Vihear as a Unesco World Heritage Site in exchange for Thaksin gaining oil concessions in Cambodia. Yet, he added, a year has gone by but nobody has stepped forward with evidence.

He said he was setting aside Bt1 million from his own pocket to give as a reward to anyone who can prove that he had signed the MoU in exchange for oil concessions.

"If this is true, Thaksin will hand the oil concessions over to the person who proves it. That person will also get Bt1 million from me.

Besides, money will also be given to anybody who can prove that Thaksin's assets have been seized by the UK authorities," he said.

Noppadon showed the Bt1 million to the press.

When questioned why Thaksin has not talked the red shirts out of rallying after February 14, Noppadon said their movements had nothing to do with Thaksin, though they both had the same objective - seeking justice.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The point made was ;

the Democrats alleged that while he was foreign minister, he had signed an MoU with Cambodia on the inscription of Phreah Vihear as a Unesco World Heritage Site in exchange for Thaksin gaining oil concessions in Cambodia. Yet, he added, a year has gone by but nobody has stepped forward with evidence.

So.................... where are all the loudmouthes to back up their allegation?

Perhaps there is a tricycle race on koh Samui that occupies them?

The point made was ;

the Democrats alleged that while he was foreign minister, he had signed an MoU with Cambodia on the inscription of Phreah Vihear as a Unesco World Heritage Site in exchange for Thaksin gaining oil concessions in Cambodia. Yet, he added, a year has gone by but nobody has stepped forward with evidence.

So.................... where are all the loudmouthes to back up their allegation?

You really think anybody will ever step forward with hard solid totally indisputable and totally incriminating evidence in this case?

I suggest that whoever was involved (if there was some form of collusion / tricky business, or whatever you want to call it) would have been hand picked and would be within the inner circle getting some spoils and in fact so far inside the inner circle that they would never speak up because they would incriminate themselves.

On a different point. Is this the way you would expect a man (N) who wants to be a key player in the development and management of Thailand to behave? Playing silly money games in regard to matters which are extremely important. No thanks.

I must have missed this allegation, but what would he want with an oil concession? He has no experience/education in this field and Thailand is not renowned for the supply of personal/equipment in the oil sector. Just another effort to keep the name on front page and before the people.

With this mans record of truth in advertising, if anyone had proof, I doubt they would ever see a monetary reward.

"I would like to stress that Thaksin would do nothing to hurt the country. How long the Democrats manage to remain the government is their business. Thaksin loves this country, and would not resort to any move to apply pressure on the Supreme Court," Noppadon said.

:D Of course he wouldn't. :)

Looks like Takki's little monkey has been let out of his cage again to make some anouncements. Tedious.

I must have missed this allegation, but what would he want with an oil concession? He has no experience/education in this field and Thailand is not renowned for the supply of personal/equipment in the oil sector. Just another effort to keep the name on front page and before the people.

With this mans record of truth in advertising, if anyone had proof, I doubt they would ever see a monetary reward.

Thaksin doesn't need to have knowledge of oil fields to make money as the middleman in such a huge deal.

2-5% skimmed off the top would be more than enough. He knows he just needs to control part of the rights.

So Noppadom didn't sign because HE KNEW that there was a probable handshake deal between Thaksin and Hun Sen.

No he just signed because he was told to, like a good little apparatchik.

It is easy to assume a friendly deal such as this likely would have been,

would not leave a paper trail as blatent as being a clear quid pro quo.

HAving been caught up in his past paperwork over deals,

he must have learned a few lessons about paper trails.

If you make an allegation; there will be some people who believe it, some people who don't, and many people who are simply unsure whether an allegation is true or false or has at least some basis to it.

In the past, only two options were used by people to fight these allegations:

• Publically deny the allegation
  • Take legal action

Neither of these have proved particularly sucessful.

Even in extrememly serious cases like the Finland Declaration, where the denials were coming from many people and where the criminal court last year passed a guilty verdict against The Manager group, the fact remains that few people actually heard the verdict, and even those that did, many may not have changed their opinions. The damage was done.

If public denials or legal action are found to be unsucessful, there really are few options open to high profile people to successfully fight against rumours, allegations or published works. I guess that means that un-conventional methods need to be used.

I wonder how many people today are searching the internet, scouring over court records, and making calls to the anyone in the U.K to prove that the British Government really did seize 4 billion dollars from Thaksin, in the hope that they will be able to pick up the 1 million baht reward.

This may prove a far more effective way..

The point made was ;

You really think anybody will ever step forward with hard solid totally indisputable and totally incriminating evidence in this case?

I suggest that whoever was involved (if there was some form of collusion / tricky business, or whatever you want to call it) would have been hand picked and would be within the inner circle getting some spoils and in fact so far inside the inner circle that they would never speak up because they would incriminate themselves.

On a different point. Is this the way you would expect a man (N) who wants to be a key player in the development and management of Thailand to behave? Playing silly money games in regard to matters which are extremely important. No thanks.

Hand picked? Need I remind you that this is Thailand, a place where the keystone cops would have been considered professional.

No matter the crime, someone always has loose lips. It's rather sad, that the best you can do is ridicule the person that says, hey back up the allegation. I don't think it is a silly, money game. Rather, it is an adept way of showing up those that made the allegations. The offer of money merely serves to attract the media's attention and allows for a cost effective means of saying the people making these claims are full of sh*t.

If you make an allegation; there will be some people who believe it, some people who don't, and many people who are simply unsure whether an allegation is true or false or has at least some basis to it.

In the past, only two options were used by people to fight these allegations:

• Publically deny the allegation
  • Take legal action

Neither of these have proved particularly sucessful.

Even in extrememly serious cases like the Finland Declaration, where the denials were coming from many people and where the criminal court last year passed a guilty verdict against The Manager group, the fact remains that few people actually heard the verdict, and even those that did, many may not have changed their opinions. The damage was done.

If public denials or legal action are found to be unsucessful, there really are few options open to high profile people to successfully fight against rumours, allegations or published works. I guess that means that un-conventional methods need to be used.

I wonder how many people today are searching the internet, scouring over court records, and making calls to the anyone in the U.K to prove that the British Government really did seize 4 billion dollars from Thaksin, in the hope that they will be able to pick up the 1 million baht reward.

This may prove a far more effective way..

Interesting points.

I guess the first part above can be summed as the "no smoke without fire" approach. No shortage of smoke rising from all this - and not a few mirrors on all sides. Thanong's opinion pieces certainly seem to rely on smoke - and, come to that, generate considerably more heat than light.

On the allegedly seized 4 billion dollars and the alleged Gazprombank loan, Bangkok Pundit (no, I'm not on commission :) ) has indeed been searching and scouring - but I doubt he has in mind any prospects of winning the reward. His (very lengthy and detailed) appraisal is at

http://asiancorrespondent.com/bangkok-pund...ssians#comments

The point made was ;

As soon as someone steps forward, Col T will offer them 2 million to stay quiet.

People will believe what people are convinced to believe heavily manipulated by all. True of all sides in this little one and equally true the world over. This is the modern world of belief based poltics, soundbites and memes. Whether this is true or not is not relevant to the politcs. Whta is important is who can get belief in what they say.

Little point in rowing over the veracity of any claim. It is a matter of back your horse and enjoy the entertainmne tof watching them ride to a win or the heartbreak of watching them come up short until next time.

The offer of money merely serves to attract the media's attention and allows for a cost effective means of saying the people making these claims are full of sh*t.

:)

Offer a reward for evidence. Noone comes forward. Declare accused innocent, declare accusers "full of sh*t". Case closed. Nice work.

Seems of late Mr Geriatrickid, you are really nailing your colours to the post with gay abandon. Get tired of the "not taking sides" charade, did we?

:D Of course he wouldn't. :)

Looks like Takki's little monkey has been let out of his cage again to make some anouncements. Tedious.

You mean like this?

:D

As soon as someone steps forward, Col T will offer them 2 million to stay quiet.

Not his style, they'll go the way of Shipping Moo, and anyone else who had critical evidence against him, and either totally disappear or turn up dead.

One million baht seems a paltry sum for proof of the oil for temple claim, which would have huge repercussions for Thaksin if shown to be true. Seems to me that they would offer a lot more if they were really sure no one would be able to dig anything up. Not that they have any intention of paying a satang. It's all a show of bravado to the average Thai, for whom it is a large sum, as evidenced by his actually having the money with him and waving it about. "Look at the pretty shiney!" What a cock. More smoke and mirrors from Thaksin, it always was his main operating mode. Now we need to see Kasit offering a billion baht to anyone proving it isn't true.

Regarding the other claim, it would be most amusing to see David Milliband knocking on his door and claiming the money. Maybe that's why the UK government hasn't said anything yet.

The trick, and this is after all just a piece of theater, is like all lawyers, only ask a question when you know the answer. Therefore by asking for a clarification/certification that can't by definition, exist, Noppadon then claims the inability of anyone to receive the money is 'proof'.

Unfortunately, for those with decent memories, one may recall K. Thaksin [as he likes to style himself now] brusquely responding to a reporter asking about a corruption issue 'Show me the receipt'. Same trick, different venue.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

The offer of money merely serves to attract the media's attention and allows for a cost effective means of saying the people making these claims are full of sh*t.

Offer a reward for evidence. Noone comes forward. Declare accused innocent, declare accusers "full of sh*t". Case closed. Nice work.

Seems of late Mr Geriatrickid, you are really nailing your colours to the post with gay abandon. Get tired of the "not taking sides" charade, did we?

One of the key words in the line quoted from geriatrickid is "saying". Withdrawing 1,000,000 baht from the bank and waving it to create a photo-op at a press conference is clearly a stunt ("piece of theater" as per A_Traveller) that costs nothing.

Want to accuse me of some "not taking sides" charade? Others have - but I'm not holding my breath waiting for their "evidence" to emerge from all their smoke.

One of the key words in the line quoted from geriatrickid is "saying". Withdrawing 1,000,000 baht from the bank and waving it to create a photo-op at a press conference is clearly a stunt ("piece of theater" as per A_Traveller) that costs nothing.

Want to accuse me of some "not taking sides" charade? Others have - but I'm not holding my breath waiting for their "evidence" to emerge from all their smoke.

...yes....if you're not a lemming, but just a wise man, you're not allowed to follow us... :D

post-13995-1263903140_thumb.jpg

LaoPo

C'mon now, don't be so touchy. It was cheap marketing. The mention of a reward seems to have worked. It attracted the media and got some people wagging their tongues, or in your case, pecking away at your keyboards. I think that if there had been any evidence to substantiate the accusation it would have shown up by now. It was a safe bet to make the offer, since the chances of anyone backing up the claim are next to nil. The end result? More free media. Remember the old saying? Doesn't matter whether it is good or bad, just make sure that the name is recognized. Over time, people tend to forget the bad stuff.

My observation was merely one of admiration of how really basic marketing technique works.

One of the key words in the line quoted from geriatrickid is "saying".

Nothing key about that word at all. It doesn't in any way attribute the statement "the people making these claims are full of sh*t" to anyone other than the person who wrote it. If those aren't his feelings he should have stated so.

Perhaps you are confusing "saying" with "they think it says..." or "they think that means....".

Want to accuse me of some "not taking sides" charade?

It's a strange thing to be offering, but thanks, no. Rest assured Steve, if i believe it, i'll accuse you of it. You have my word.

Maybe should do some research before you make such inane, ignorant comments. This is about the potential gas reserves that are located in the Gulf of Thailand adjacent to Cambodia, a large part of which is jointly claimed by Thailand and Cambodia. Do a search on Thailand Cambodia overlapping area.

While doing so you might want to so a search on PTT, PTTPE and Chevron Thailand and get some idea of the offshore work that is done from Thailand, mostly by Thais.

TH