Thai People And Their Fear Of Cats?

Portlandstone

I like cats because they are aloof, independent and pretty. A bit like me..... :)

Girls are cats and men are dogs?

I'm embaressed to say this, but when I was young I thought cats were the female version of dogs. Actually I read alot of children think the same so maybe I'm not so embarressed.

On a semi-related note I also used to think that people would sit in the contrails of the planes, and that the lenght of the contrails tells you how many people are on that plane ;-)

Anybody thought the same?

What's a contrail?

That said, I would be careful around stray cats who probably carry the rabies virus - I have heard that the remedy is not very pleasant at all. Especially for children, as said above.

Is it true if you come across a rabid dog, you have to cut its head off?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrail

Not very pleasant is an understatement, you will die, inevitably. There is only a single known case where somebody survived.

Get vaccinated! If you aren't and if you get scratched/bitten whatever, even if the animal looks healthy, go to the hospital immediatly and get vaccinated there. They can do it afterwards around the wound.

Also, why would you need to cut its head off? Where did you hear that? They should be put to sleep, nothing else.

My middle son was attacked by a cat last week, he has had to undergo a series of rabies shots, even though the cat in question looks to be a low risk animal, according to the doctor.

-Soundman, what is the rabies shot process like? I've heard it is several shots directly into the abdomen (deep?), something like 4, either in one day or spread out? Can't remember if that was for after being bitten, or doing so as a preparation, but I've read that even if you do the pre-bite shots, you still have to do a couple after-bite shots if you are bitten, it just means you have to do less or something (?). Please explain.

I can only tell you if you get vaccinated as a precaution (without being bitten) its 3 injections into your arm spread over I think 3-4 weeks, and a follow up 1 year later. After that you are protected for 5-10 years, my doctor recommended getting a follow up shot around 6-7 years afterwards.

It was explained to me that I would not need to get shots in case I was bitten, however a trip to the hospital is still in order to clean the wound and whatnot. Follow up shots certainly don't hurter either though. I think you get 3-4 injections directly into and around the wound, but I'm not sure.

I like cats because they are aloof, independent and pretty. A bit like me..... :)

Girls are cats and men are dogs?

I'm embaressed to say this, but when I was young I thought cats were the female version of dogs. Actually I read alot of children think the same so maybe I'm not so embarressed.

On a semi-related note I also used to think that people would sit in the contrails of the planes, and that the lenght of the contrails tells you how many people are on that plane ;-)

Er, no!

-Soundman, what is the rabies shot process like? I've heard it is several shots directly into the abdomen (deep?), something like 4, either in one day or spread out? Can't remember if that was for after being bitten, or doing so as a preparation, but I've read that even if you do the pre-bite shots, you still have to do a couple after-bite shots if you are bitten, it just means you have to do less or something (?). Please explain.

As a child I was told that youwould have to get shots around your belly button and it would be very painful. Many Thais will have the same story. I am not sure if it is true or just to stop us playing with stray animal. I have also heard that the procudure has been improved. Fewer shots and the place changed to arms.

-Also a second part I wanted to add to the first post is, I can't understand why even with so many stray (and owned) dogs running around, how can cats still be so at peace and free to hang out anywhere they want? Have never seen a dog and cat fighting - only once saw a dog playing with a cat and she didn't like it too much.

Are you kidding me? This is Thailand so sabai sabai and even cats smile. :):D

What's a contrail?

That said, I would be careful around stray cats who probably carry the rabies virus - I have heard that the remedy is not very pleasant at all. Especially for children, as said above.

Not very pleasant is an understatement, you will die, inevitably. There is only a single known case where somebody survived.

Get vaccinated! If you aren't and if you get scratched/bitten whatever, even if the animal looks healthy, go to the hospital immediatly and get vaccinated there. They can do it afterwards around the wound.

Also, why would you need to cut its head off? Where did you hear that? They should be put to sleep, nothing else.

If you are bitten by an animal, the animal needs to be checked for rabies.  The usual check is done with the animal's brain tissue.  So if the animal is killed, the important part to be brought in is the head.

Of course, you can bring in the live animal, but catching and bringing in a live fox, for example, is a little difficult.  If a fox is brought it at all after biting someone, it is usually because it has been shot and killed. And if you don't want to lug around the entire carcass, then the head alone will suffice.

I don't know about Thai's being scared of Cats , I do know a lot don't feed them :)

My Neigbour has 5 cats, 2 are very cute Kittens. He doesn't appear to feed them at all. We've been throwing them our scraps. He has been complaining that they don't eat Mice & rats but will take an occasional Chick. I was thinking of adopting the Kittens until :-

The last 3 days consequitively I've lost a meal per day from my Kitchen Table. The first some Cake, yes cake! . The second day a bacon sandwich which had been lovingly prepared (for me ). and yesterday an Whole Barbequed fish which I had spent an Hour cooking.

Yes, I went balistic and started chasing Cats around the neigbourhood.

I've gone of Cats completely. I'm so Fickle :D

The last 3 days consequitively I've lost a meal per day from my Kitchen Table. The first some Cake, yes cake! . The second day a bacon sandwich which had been lovingly prepared (for me ). and yesterday an Whole Barbequed fish which I had spent an Hour cooking.

Must have been Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer!  :)

(apologies for those who never saw the play or read T.S.)

The belly button shots were replaced years ago. Its now a simple injection in the arm. If you've been bitten or scratched by a possibly rabid animal then you will get 5 shots if you can't produce the animal (or if you know the animal and it doesn't come down with rabies by the end of the first three shots). Its not anymore painful than other injections.

Rabies is almost always fatal so its better to be safe than sorry and get the shots if scratched or bitten by a stray animal.

One lucky fella to see a normal looking cat on the streets, as i once went to a nice lake once & enured having to have lunch surrounded by them.

These cats you wouldn`t touch with a 10 ft pole, let alone keeping your distance with a shot gun.

So the only thing i said about the place to the wife is WAN`T BE GOING BACK ! :)

My middle son was attacked by a cat last week, he has had to undergo a series of rabies shots, even though the cat in question looks to be a low risk animal, according to the doctor.

For rabies only vaccination: (Given to 3 year old son)

One (very small) injection on both upper arms within 24 hours of exposure.

Same again 3 days after exposure.

Same again 7 days after exposure.

Same again 28 days after exposure.

Gives protection from rabies for an additional 90 days after last shot.

If another shot is administered at the 3 month mark - additional protection for 6 (?) months.

Note: Bear in mind that this was a "rabies only" set, not a 5 or 7 in one set which protects against god knows what & the vaccination schedule might be completely different.

What's a contrail?

If you are bitten by an animal, the animal needs to be checked for rabies. The usual check is done with the animal's brain tissue. So if the animal is killed, the important part to be brought in is the head.

Of course, you can bring in the live animal, but catching and bringing in a live fox, for example, is a little difficult. If a fox is brought it at all after biting someone, it is usually because it has been shot and killed. And if you don't want to lug around the entire carcass, then the head alone will suffice.

I see. What you say makes sense, somewhat in the odd case you are out hunting and get bitten by a fox and your hunting buddies shot the bastard. But come on, most of the time it'll be a little dog/cat that scratches/bites you somewhere on the street. Are you saying you carry a butchers knife and will cut its head off? Just kidding ;-)

BTW bats are notorious for carrying rabies too, never touch them.

We have ten of the little people living around the house, each has his or her own enclosure, one even lives in the crawl space under the house and comes out only when the sun shines,

I have been bitten badly three or four times when I tried to stop them fighting, last time the two fangs went in to my arm about half an inch and through a nerve, it's grown back now but for a while it seriously hampered my finger movement. I've had rabies shots and boosters each time I get bitten, doesn't hurt and cost nothing at the little hospital down my road.

What's a contrail?

If you are bitten by an animal, the animal needs to be checked for rabies. The usual check is done with the animal's brain tissue. So if the animal is killed, the important part to be brought in is the head.

Of course, you can bring in the live animal, but catching and bringing in a live fox, for example, is a little difficult. If a fox is brought it at all after biting someone, it is usually because it has been shot and killed. And if you don't want to lug around the entire carcass, then the head alone will suffice.

I see. What you say makes sense, somewhat in the odd case you are out hunting and get bitten by a fox and your hunting buddies shot the bastard. But come on, most of the time it'll be a little dog/cat that scratches/bites you somewhere on the street. Are you saying you carry a butchers knife and will cut its head off? Just kidding ;-)

BTW bats are notorious for carrying rabies too, never touch them.

No, my post was only to give a reason why people talk about an animal's head in case they get bit.  Nothing wrong with taking in a live pet, or a whole carcass of a dead animal.  But the focus on the head is what people remember, hence Patsycat's question.

Bats kill about one person a year in the US, with about 5% of the bats brought in to be tested being found to have rabies.  Bats can live for quite a while with rabies, whereas dogs, skunks, and foxes seem to die quicker.  It is a good idea just to never touch a bat.  

One thing that I noticed is that most street cats have their tails cut, a little, half or just left with a stump. I don't know if it's some popular passtime to cut cat tails, or Thai cats' tails have a tendency to fall off.

Cat's with stumpy or bent tails are endemic in Malaysia, Singapore, and Borneo too.

On Borneo, they tell the story of the Americans spreading DDT across the country to control malaria. The malaria killed the cats. The island lost its balance as not having cats meant that the native's roofs were eaten by rats and bugs in no time (apparently rats came back faster than cats).

To replenish the cat population, the British parachuted 14000 kitties into the region.

The story diverges at this point but both versions try to explain the stumpy tailed cats.

1. The inbreeding of the few cats that survived the drop populated the area with cats having half tails, stunted tails, bent tails.
  2. The 14000 cats dropped had their fair share of the famous short-tailed cats from the Isle of Man.

But as interesting as it sounds, it's all fluff and bluff as you'll soon read in this article. The eyewitness accounts go back to the 1700's, while the Americans/British interfered with the cat population in the 1960's: BOBTAILED AND TAILLESS CATS

Edited by desi