Pun Pun (meat Lovers) Restaurant On The River

Ulysses G.

Well, its official, the wife made some goodies for sample including fudge brownies, cherry cheescake, chocolate and butterscotch cupcakes. Pun Pun guesthouse has graciously invited us to bring by free (or small donation) samples for all friends to try. Will be delivered about 1 pm today. Saturday..! Enjoy :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried some samples of Nongluck's fudge brownies, cupcakes and cheesecake at Pun Pun today and they are excellent homemade baked goods that are as good as any in town. If you can keep up this quality and sell them sonmewhere convienient, the customers will come.

Thank you Nongluck!

(The Pun Pun submarine sandwhich was really good too).

If UG has been there I am sure there are only crumbs left but keep a few of those we wil be there in half an hour.

actually i was there at the same time as UG and also was lucky enough to try the delectable desserts. the fudge brownies were spectacular - chock full of walnuts. and the cherry cheesecake was just perfect. in the interest of not bursting my pants i opted to abscond with the cupcake and will report on it later.

oh and the Mic something (i forget the exact name) burger was a joy as well. a huge beef patty with mushrooms, onions, cheese and bacon on toasted french bread with a really nice sauce. i got a bit messy from all the sauce but it was a glorious mess indeed.

already looking forward to my next visit. thanks john!

Our bike only just made it home because of the extra weight on board after eating at Pun Pun.

And those little brown chocolate brownie squares are as delicious as we used to eat....even if they do not have any secret herbs and spices.

I owe someone an apology and am not sure if they were or were not Thai Visa Members.

If they were, please accept this as a apology.

We have had a good number of TV guests in the past couple weeks and yesterday had a group of 4 persons arrive about 10:30 in the morning. As circumstance would have it, I had to close for a bit to do a Makro & Market run. Tried to fit it in between the breakfast and lunch periods.

Naturally, I guessed wrong.

So if they were TV'er's please accept my apology and hopefully you will give us another visit.

And for all the TV'er's I have had the pleasure to meet in the past couple weeks, many thanks to you, especially to those who showed up Sat for the free bakery samples provided by Nongluck's wife. To" Little Miss M" the baker herself, I just want to say a special thankyou. To say the samples were well received would be the understatement of the last 2 years.

The Chocolate Fudge, Walnut Brownies seemed to be the favorites , followed by the Cherry Cheescake treats.

Several orders were taken. Nongluck and "Little Miss M" I'd say it was a success

We should have more soon at Pun Pun for those who may like to buy and try.

Thanks all

gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

As someone mentioned before Pun Pun is an absolute gem of restaurant! I've lived in CM for over 4 years now and I'm always looking for somewhere good to eat western food without paying tourist prices and this is the place to go :) If your from England and have cravings (like me) for English Heinz baked beans then check out the beans and franks -delicious. Really everything I've tried on the menu so far has been excellant, the food speaks for itself. So go along and try for yourself; you won't be dissappointed.

The brownies are also exceedingly good!

Hard to know what one could possibly add to the glorious praise above. It's all absolutely deserved.

Let me say this however...

I returned to the UK for 8 weeks over Xmas and New Year. During that time, I found myself really looking forward to getting back to PunPun in Chiangmai for some real 'home cooking' ! Everywhere I went in UK for breakfast or lunch, I got lightweight pretentious trendy 'European' foods with fancy names and no 'substance'. Where was the first place I went upon my return to Thailand??? You already know.

PunPun cooks it the way your mum used to!

I have been going to Pun Pun (the one in this thread) for perhaps ten 'maybe more' years and I can echo every plaudit that has been said regarding the establishment.

Pranee's pies are great, the fish and chips likewise and the portions such that we always have to ask for some to be put in a styro box to take home. And yes the burgers :)

The GF rarely eats Thai food when we go there because her standard order is the F & C, so that has got to tell you something eh?

Pranee is a delight and a lady to boot.

John is always great to chat with and I always spend at least 15 minutes either before or after the meal chewing the fat with him about a current topic, something that has been written on TV, state of the economy and ad nauseam (without the boring bit)

Now that the secret is out we will likely have to make a booking to get a table :D

Add me to the list of fans. I went there for a Superman Breakfast on Sunday, and it was really good.

I can also echo the bits about John being welcoming, nice and funny. Not to mention Pranee (which a bit surprisingly seems to rhyme with my name, Jani), who was also very nice and helpful.

Will go back for more, even if it's not in my neighborhood.

If Harry and I start to eat there regularly, John will be soon be driving a Mercedes Benz! :)

Ain't givin up ma Rolls for nutin

.... and UG , You and Harry will be pleased to know that yesterday two more of TV's finest came by and they are certainly to be in the Jumbo eaters class with you and Harry, and myself included...... These 2 guys [no names mentioned] can put it away with the best of them..... 2 full meals after coming in not too long after lunch, just to see what all the hub bub was about and decided to put away just a little something.

GLFP

Gonz

just need to stick this in guys ..... to all of us who like our food...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/en...f-size/1?csp=hf

Edited by Gonzo the Face

.... and UG , You and Harry will be pleased to know that yesterday two more of TV's finest came by and they are certainly to be in the Jumbo eaters class with you and Harry, and myself included...... These 2 guys [no names mentioned] can put it away with the best of them..... 2 full meals after coming in not too long after lunch, just to see what all the hub bub was about and decided to put away just a little something.

Gonz

What?! Someone ate more than I did?

What time do you open for breakfast? And equally important, how late can I order breakfast?

Gonz

What?! Someone ate more than I did?

What time do you open for breakfast? And equally important, how late can I order breakfast?

Thanks one and all for the very kind words....... being human, I have to admit that they do make me feel kinda good. While I think you all know that I appreciate it, I do try and not post too much about Pun Pun for fear of giving some people cause for accusations and fingerpointing about self promotion, Just know it does mean a lot..

We open between 6:30 and 7:00AM and we close about 14 hrs later at 8:00 PM . You are able to order breakfast when we open and/or you may order breakfast until we close.

Just to pizz of somebody we all know, maybe we should rename it "MicSuperman Breakfast"....... they'll sue me...... we can demand a jury trial....... plead to the jury to declare a generous and sizable sum, to the little, struggling, hardworking , minority hiring, underdog place vs the big international money grubbing, gobbling guys, a healthy award and then we can offer free breakfasts for all for a year....

:)

To all those who did come by and all those who took the time to comment, sincerely, thanks again.....

Gonzo and the better half..

Edited by Gonzo the Face

[quote name='rrose070' date='2010-02-16 08:25:30' post='3344183'

It isn't a steakhouse but the steak I had there (Local) was big, I could eat it even with my teeth and came with plenty of vegetables.....corn and lots of mash but I cannot say about the salad....I was too full to eat it.

[quote name='rrose070' date='2010-02-16 08:25:30' post='3344183'

It isn't a steakhouse but the steak I had there (Local) was big, I could eat it even with my teeth and came with plenty of vegetables.....corn and lots of mash but I cannot say about the salad....I was too full to eat it.

Thanks heaps for that Harry. In all honesty, when it comes to steak as we know it in the West [meaning not local Thai steak]

I recommend that all go down to The Duke's ..... For imported steaks and also for the BBQ'd ribs, I personally think that David can't be beat. So I say, for the steaks and ribs all should get goin down to The Dukes

Gonzo

You skipped the salad, but I bet that you had desert. I would have done the same thing. biggrin.gif

You skipped the salad, but I bet that you had desert. I would have done the same thing. biggrin.gif

I didn't but I hear you ate mine too......two helpings.....or was that three. :)

In all honesty, when it comes to steak as we know it in the West [meaning not local Thai steak]

I recommend that all go down to The Duke's ..... For imported steaks and also for the BBQ'd ribs, I personally think that David can't be beat. So I say, for the steaks and ribs all should get goin down to The Dukes

Gonzo

Why not Gonzo I was thinking of coming over for a steak.

Its not a bad place to just stop in for a cool one and a lively discussion prior to a take away order. Although I have over heard a phone in order several times. My younger (ones to be obeyed) sing praises for the mashed potatoes.

after reading this thread i decided to have lunch in pun pun today. as i drove past it their gates were closed as there were many cars behind

me i could not stop and try to open them. it is a shame i will have to try it out next time on my motorbike and not my car

rick

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped by for lunch the other day and I agree with the thread. Thanks TV members for pointing me to another great eating place I wouldn't have found on my own. My wife tried the pork knuckle with mashed potatoes and really enjoyed it. According to her, a good value for pork knuckle compared to other places in CM. I had a grilled ham & cheese with fries that tasted oh so Americana. Also ordered a nice side of crispy bacon... Yumm. Had a nice chat with the owner and it was great to feel welcomed. There are so many things I want to try on the menu and the daily specials that I'll be back again soon.