Passengers Missing Luggage Padlocks - Phuket Airport.

NamKangMan

Hi,

flew into Phuket Airport late November 09 with Airasia. I have a suitcase with a cover over it. The cover and the suitcase had TSA padlocks on them. When I got my luggage off the carousel, the padlock on the cover was missing. I was immediately concerned and took off the cover. The padlock to the suitcase wasn't touched (these locks have a red/green indicator if opened by an airport security TSA key). So, they took off one lock and didn't search a thing. I looked around and there were a few other concerned passengers that were missing locks as well. At this stage, I couldn't see the point of opening one, but not the other, but, opened my suitcase and checked the contents and all was good. Two days later a mate flew into Phuket on a Jetstar flight. We were chatting over a beer and the same thing happened to him, missing padlock, nothing in his suitcase disturbed. A week later, we flew to Pattaya together with Bangkokair. I used my last TSA padlock on the cover and left the suitcase unlocked. My mate had to buy a new padlock to use. Both of our padlocks were gone at the carousel. We immediately checked our luggage contents and nothing was disturbed. So, as we flew with three different airlines and had the same thing happen three times, collectively, I am thinking Phuket Airport is to blame. TSA padlocks are special locks that airport security staff have a master key to open. The idea being, no bolt cutters are needed and you keep your padlock, but also know you have been searched because of the red/green indicator. They are expensive. They are not a $2 lock from a discount store. Both of mine were "stolen." Having said all of this, the cost of the lock is not a huge issue when compared to stolen items and, the worst case scenario, drugs placed inside. So, this practice concerns me. My mind went to TIT mode and I thought, does an airport security staff member own a padlock shop in Patong? Has some pressure been placed on the airport to do more searches so they just cut off everyone's padlock and retain the damaged lock as proof of a search, despite no search actually taking place. :):D Seriously, I'm due back in Phuket in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone else has had this experience or has any knowledge as to the reason behind it. If they are still doing it, I'll use a security tie or a cheap $2 padlock. Having said this, it would appear that Phuket Airport security staff are then actually weakening luggage security by this practice because passengers will start to leave their luggage unlocked, use plastic ties or cheap quality padlocks when flying to, and from, Phuket Airport. Cheers.

Will post this again for those who missed it

Thanks for the reply, but, I can't open this attachment. Can you tell me where I can view it?

It explains how to open a zip on a suitcase without touching the lock.

Sorry mate - I've tried everything. I can't open it. What's it about? Is it the one where a guy opens a suitcase zip with a pen? Anyway, do you know something about everyone's locks being cut off at Patong Airport, even though you have paid for a TSA lock.

Sorry mate - I've tried everything. I can't open it. What's it about? Is it the one where a guy opens a suitcase zip with a pen? Anyway, do you know something about everyone's locks being cut off at Patong Airport, even though you have paid for a TSA lock.

Yes, the one with the pen. See also 3 posts before this one.

Will post this again for those who missed it

Interesting video. That wouldn't work on some of the sturdier metel zippers though.

I have never used luggage locks before mainly because the only thing I think they are good for is keeping someone from easily unzipping your luggage as it sits near you, or maybe on a cart behind you in a busy airport, bus, train whatever. Lots of thefts occur this way. I don't feel it's much deterant to thieves otherwise. Maybe good as an indicator if your bag has been opened I guess, unless they use the pen method from the video.