Retirement One Year Oa Visa

Can anyone enlighten me

I just applied and received a one year visa type "OA " Non Immigrant ,with multiple entries from the Boston consulate ,is that the retirement visa ,(that is what I want and asked for )?The lady who took care of me did not seem to know ,she told me I needed to renew from Boston or the USA after it expires ,my understanding from reading posts in Thai Visa is that the first one year retirement visa needs to be initiated from the US and after that it can be renewed from Thailand what is the correct answer ?..

Thanks

Your Visa will give you 2 years stay in Thailand.

It is a multi entry, meaning every time you enter you will get 12 months.

Do a border run just before it expires and you will get another 12 months giving a total of 2 years.

In the second year you will need a Re Entry Permit from Immigration if you intend to leave the country otherwise your pemision to stay will die.

At the end of two years apply for a 12 month extension from Immigration. 1,900 Baht fee.

1. Officially it is a long stay visa - unofficially it is often called a retirement visa.

2. To obtain another would require getting in home country again.

3. Most people extended there stay rather than obtain a new visa.

4. Extension of stay is done at local immigration office in Thailand and costs 1,900 baht for the year. If you travel a re-entry permit would be required at extra cost.

Just to add, when you extend this visa within Thailand, you'll need 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank, or a certified income of more then 65,000 Baht/month.

So the difference with the OA visa you just received in Boston is that your money actually has to be in Thailand, foreign accounts are not accepted.

Just to add, when you extend this visa within Thailand, you'll need 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank, or a certified income of more then 65,000 Baht/month.

So the difference with the OA visa you just received in Boston is that your money actually has to be in Thailand, foreign accounts are not accepted.

Is the same amount demanded if you are married to a thai wife?

I remember having seen 40,000 baht insted.

A visa cannot be renewed inside Thailand. Once inside Thailand you get an extension of your permission to stay date, issued by immigration, provided you can meet the requirements. For a non-immigrant "O-A" visa, you would apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement from immigration before your permission to stay date expires.

In addition to all the correct info above, I would like to add one difference in (potential benefit to?) getting a one-year extension within Thailand vs a brand new O-A visa in Boston: For the extension within Thailand you do not need police clearance or medical exam. For the O-A visa in Boston you'd need both. May not be a significant issue for you, but just so you know.

The medical exam requirement is actually met by your physcian certifying that you do not have the dreaded diseases listed. Depending upon your doc, you may not actually have to be tested for each of the listed conditions--one of the benefits of having a family physician over a long period of time.

In addition to all the correct info above, I would like to add one difference in (potential benefit to?) getting a one-year extension within Thailand vs a brand new O-A visa in Boston: For the extension within Thailand you do not need police clearance or medical exam. For the O-A visa in Boston you'd need both. May not be a significant issue for you, but just so you know.

For the police clearance in the US, you simply go to your local police department or county sheriff's office. For a modest fee the statement will be issued based upon a search of local records and upon an internet-based search. This is done on the spot and is not a big deal [unless something turns up].

Just to make sure that I fully understand, the period of time you may stay in Thailand is not one year from the issuance of the O-A visa, but from the last entry into the country prior to the end of that year. For example, multiple-entry O-A visa issued by Thai Embassy in US on June 10, 2009. Entry into Thailand on June 26. Stamp in passport: permission to stay until June 25, 2010. I will depart Thailand in April and return on May 25. The passport should then be stamped: permission to stay until May 24, 2011. So, for 2010, I do not have to apply for the visa extension; do not have to have either 800k Baht in a Thai bank account or sign an affadavit attesting to an income flow of 65K Baht per month to the US Embassy; and to make life rock right along, only need to apply for a multiple-entry, re-entry permit. Right ?