Money In Bank For Visa

If you get your letter from the US Embassy all you have to do is write in the amout of your pension, no documentation is required to confirm the amount you claim. The first time I obtained the letter from the Embassy I also included my pension statement with it when I applied for my extension at the immigraton office. The officer at Immigraiton tore off the pension statement and gave it back to me, just wanted the Notarized statement from the Embassy.

I have a Thai wife so am only required to have 400k in bank, which I always do, but I always include the notarized pension statement from the US Embassy. Even if it costs me 35$ every year, might as well give all the documentation that you can to show you have adequate income to live here.

My biggest fear is that after living here 5 years is I speak and understand little Thai. Seems I am tone deaf and everthing sounds the same to me. Sometimes try and speak Thai but most Thais seem to no clue what I am saying. Can ask questons sometimes, but have a real difficlult time understanding if they respond.

Funny, I went and got my Non-O extension for a year done at the One-Stop. They never asked to see any bank accounts. Mind you they were interested in the fact I pay more than 50,000 a month in income tax.

Funny, I went and got my Non-O extension for a year done at the One-Stop. They never asked to see any bank accounts. Mind you they were interested in the fact I pay more than 50,000 a month in income tax.

You are joking? 50,000 Baht

No Thais pay this much!!

You should get yourself a better accountant.

Just an update........................I went to renew my marriage/buisness visa today and I asked the question of funds. ie when I could spend. I was informed that the big boss ie central immigration BKK can and will check any time within 3 months if the money is still there. If it is not, then the visa is liable to be cancelled. Please note this is only a guideline and the question should be asked by each individual. I am not responsible for any suicides ( or murders) resulting from the advice given here.

Believe the quote by Ajarn is the true word -

By law you ARE allowed to draw on this amount of money, BUT not during the approval process, only once the visa has been issued. The local Immigration will stamp one month temporary visas pending approval.

This bar person seems to have removed a sizable sum before the local office stamped his passport and paid the price. Keep it at or above the required amount until you have the final extension of stay stamp in your passport. :o

Believe the quote by Ajarn is the true word -
By law you ARE allowed to draw on this amount of money, BUT not during the approval process, only once the visa has been issued. The local Immigration will stamp one month temporary visas pending approval.

This bar person seems to have removed a sizable sum before the local office stamped his passport and paid the price. Keep it at or above the required amount until you have the final extension of stay stamp in your passport. :o

Yes; that's what i read between the lines. It can take 3 months in extreme circumstances so they can check up to 3 months. I was lucky then last year. I bought a car two weeks after applying and they still gave it to me. unless of course they've tightened up since then,which is what I reckoned.

Sometimes reading topics here makes me more doubtfull about just how much I know...about Visa's.

Just a short question: Got a non-immigrant, multiple-entry cat 'O'-Visa for 1 year.

When the year is comming to it's end, i.e. last Visa-run, I'm supposed to extend for another year. Here is the question: Do I need to have these amount of money in my account too? The 800K baht mentioned above. They never asked about money in any capacity when issuing the first visa.

Btw, it's non-WP, i.e. I haven't applied for Work Permit. Don't need to, to live. Got company at home and live with my wife and her family at their big farm. If that can affect anything.

Just an update........................I went to renew my marriage/buisness visa today and I asked the question of funds. ie when I could spend. I was informed that the big boss ie central immigration BKK can and will check any time within 3 months if the money is still there. If it is not, then the visa is liable to be cancelled. Please note this is only a guideline and the question should be asked by each individual. I am not responsible for any suicides ( or murders) resulting from the advice given here.

I asked the same queston last Friday when renewing marriage visa, said I needed to withdraw money for daughters tuition, around 40k. Immigration officer I talked to said no problem. I don't go back until June 20 to pick up renewal if approved.

Plus I allways keep at least 150k in the bank. Account was topped off before requesting renewal as required. I provided letter from bank, copy of bank book, and letter confirming pension from US Embassy, plus other required documets when seeking renewal.

Edited by bkkharry

Sometimes reading topics here makes me more doubtfull about just how much I know...about Visa's.

Just a short question: Got a non-immigrant, multiple-entry cat 'O'-Visa for 1 year.

When the year is comming to it's end, i.e. last Visa-run, I'm supposed to extend for another year. Here is the question: Do I need to have these amount of money in my account too? The 800K baht mentioned above. They never asked about money in any capacity when issuing the first visa.

Btw, it's non-WP, i.e. I haven't applied for Work Permit. Don't need to, to live. Got company at home and live with my wife and her family at their big farm. If that can affect anything.

If you want to extend your stay money is going to be required but if you just want another one year multi entry visa like you are currently using (and make 90 day visa runs) you only have to travel outside of Thailand to a consulate that will issue you such a visa.

If, as it sounds, you have a legal marriage and have money from outside of Thailand that you can bring into the country in the amount of 400k baht each year you should consider extension of stay at an immigration office when you are down to less than 30 days on your permitted entry. You will have to take bank book, letter from bank as to amount in account (over 400k) and proof of outside source of these funds (wire transfer best). Your passport/copies and her id card/copies and home register will be required as well as proof you live together which may be a visit later or just photos together at home (take photos first visit). First visit is a little nerve wracking but in all will only be about an hour or so and wife will tell them how great you are at supporting her and forms will be filled out. There will be about a two month delay before final approval and every year you have to do the same procedure (and the 90 day address reporting) but after the first time it should be a piece of cake. They will want to know you have income from outside of the country so I would take what bank/company information you feel able to share with you for there file.

I asked the same queston last Friday when renewing marriage visa, said I needed to withdraw money for daughters tuition, around 40k. Immigration officer I talked to said no problem. I don't go back until June 20 to pick up renewal if approved.

You provided a valid reason for use - what they are concerned about is the guy borrowing money short term and then removing it - if he has no money how is he supporting the wife (which is the extension criteria).

lopburi3>> I see, thanks for the info.

With all this moving and stuff, I'm not sure if I will have that amount saved for next year however, and I'm still young you see, a mere 28 years old. =)

So, if applaying and recieving and extended visa, if I understand you correctly, only requires a checkin every 90 day instead of doing the full visa-run out of the country. Good to know.

Thank you kindly.

Plus I allways keep at least 150k in the bank. Account was topped off before requesting renewal as required. I provided letter from bank, copy of bank book, and letter confirming pension from US Embassy, plus other required documets when seeking renewal.

With all respect,it is not the local immigration officer that decides your fate. Mine told me as I said before,that the big boss in BKK can check whether you have withdrawn or not. And they are the actual words she used ' Big Boss in Bangkok'

Also as I said before,one of my customers already has had his visa revoked. I for one will definately not be touching my money this year before I get approval.

• 4 months later...

This is the same as I've been told at Pattaya Immigration.

lopburi3>> I see, thanks for the info.

With all this moving and stuff, I'm not sure if I will have that amount saved for next year however, and I'm still young you see, a mere 28 years old. =)

So, if applaying and recieving and extended visa, if I understand you correctly, only requires a checkin every 90 day instead of doing the full visa-run out of the country. Good to know.

Thank you kindly.

The extension of stay only requires you to report you address every 90 days and that can be done by mail. You never have to leave country but if you do you must first obtain a re entry permit to keep your extension alive.

From: http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/2005/may05/73_expats.php

Pol. Lt. Col. Kanokpun Toobkajorn from Chiang Mai Immigration has given us the following advice, you may quote him on every point:

1. Reference of their pension from the Embassy of their native country. The reference must also be approved by the Thai government,

2. A bank account from a Thai bank. In this case (for applicants with pensions only), the applicant does not need to have 800,000 baht in the bank, but a mere 20,000-30,000 baht monthly turnover would be fine,

3. Doctor’s certificate from either governmental or private hospital or clinic.

Am I the only one who finds this very, very surprising?

What exactly do you find surprising?

Guess it is the 20-30k baht turnover? There is and never has been any requirement to spend 800k per year. As long as a reasonable sum is seen to be used to support yourself that should be all that is required and this confirms that.

Edited by lopburi3

• 2 weeks later...
Ok we know that  you must not go  below  400k  during  approval  process.

But my question is:  if  someone does do it , so what happen?

Do is possible to get another kind of visa?

If done during review and they check they may wait for it to reach 400k before approving full extension (but then again if only a little below they probably would not). They may be able to give you several short extensions if need be.

If you are unable to meet the 400k extension requirement the alternative is 90 day border runs after you obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from Penang or perhaps during a visit to your home country.

Ok we know that   you must not go   below   400k   during  approval  process.

But my question is:  if  someone does do it , so what happen?

Do is possible to get another kind of visa?

If done during review and they check they may wait for it to reach 400k before approving full extension (but then again if only a little below they probably would not). They may be able to give you several short extensions if need be.

If you are unable to meet the 400k extension requirement the alternative is 90 day border runs after you obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from Penang or perhaps during a visit to your home country.

Thank you lopburi3 I understood. I think another alternative is go to Cambodia border each mounth.