Atm Ate My Bank Card

I am an HSBC customer and they are a member of the group of banks where customers can use any bank's ATM machines. I've been doing so for 8 months now.

Today I stopped at a UOB ATM and it ate my card. It said I used the wrong access code twice...ok, once, maybe...twice no way. But still okay. Fortunately it was a machine at an outlet with a window. I have to return at 4:30 p.m. today to get my card and pay 661 baht "service fee".

Does this sound right?

And what would have happened had it been a machine that was not connected to a teller window?

Thanks for any advice.

Suggest that you call HSBC call centre before paying the fee for the return of your card, the charge of 661Baht sounds an unusual and excessive amount and not justified even if you did key your number wrongly on two occasions.

Bank of Attyudha ate mine and it was connected to a Convieniance store,

Next day i went to the bank and they told me that there was no way i could get my card back as under international regulations it must be destroyed and that the bank had a Security Company that was in charge of such matters anyway.

I asked again if it was at all possible by showing my Passport and she rang the Security company there and then and they said "No Way" could they give it back to me "It must be Destroyed, End of matter!!

Sounds like your being touched up mate,

Get in contact with your bank and you will find the same as me i believe.

we have had our cards eaten many times in Thai atm's. Never had to pay a fee for return. If the atm is at a bank branch they give it back strait away (if they are open) or next morning. Have never been told it must be destroyed ??

Fee of 661- is a rippoff... agree with post 2.

I remember in 1999 in preparation for Y2K I lost ATM( not returned) cards several times, no problem getting them returned at end of business day. Two years ago I lost( not returned) and was told in no uncertain terms that there was no way it would be returned, all cards are destroyed. Consider yourself lucky.

I had my UK ATM card eaten by a machine in Bangkok Bank before, I asked them if I could get it back and they told me they could not give it back, it was company policy to have the cards destroyed. We managed to talk them round and got it back without a fee

Martin

I lost my Bangkok Bank card in a bank of Ayyudhia machine outside the Lotus Express store in Pattaya.The Bangkok Bank machine nearby was down which is why I used the other machine.I went to the nearest branch of The Bank Of Ayyudhia and I was told the card had to be destroyed and the Bangkok Bank confirmed that so it was a case of having a new card issued and paying the charges.Luckily the procedure can be done immediately by the issuing branch