Gun Ownership

hawthorne

My Mother-in-law offered to give me a registered pistol of my choice. From her explanation it is the gun that is registered not the user. Her late husband had one she uses for self defense.

My question to the group is what kind of trouble would a foreigner get into if they used it in self defense? No need to have one if I can not use it.

It is enticing and I love to shoot but I am a bit worried about the implications of having it in my possession.

Thanks

Farang cannot own a firearm in LOS,some farang buy firearms in the "wifes name" to be held at there home and can be transported to and from

the firing range in your motor which i think is considered a part of your home!

As for carrying or using in self defense,i think the judge would throw the book at you....get it in your wife's name and use it on the range :)

Farang cannot own a firearm in LOS,some farang buy firearms in the "wifes name" to be held at there home and can be transported to and from

As for carrying or using in self defense,i think the judge would throw the book at you....get it in your wife's name and use it on the range :)

:D

Really, do yourself,and your family big favour..forget about having a gun for ''self defense''!!

You pull a gun ,even in ''self defense'' and you hurt or kill another person, whatever the truth may be at that time is going to be irrelevant when you, ''A FARANG'' appear in court. You are automatically GUILTY.

Doing time in any jail is horrifying..a westerner in a Thai jail ? Horror times 10..You'd be better off using your gun on yourself than spend time in Thai jail!!

These are the implications of being armed.. :D ...Not worth it my friend.

Edited by happyinkathu

• 10 months later...

Not rocket science people. if the House is in your wife's name get the gun in her name (good ole shot gun) keep it in the home for self defence. If you need it, Use it, F*&K it. What ever penalty the law might hit you with is NOTHING compared to what could happen if you or your wife need it, and don't have it.

Nuff said really.

Your name is definitely on your firearms registrations. It's not updated as it's permanent, so it'll be your name, id number, and age at which you acquire a particular firearm... these along which chanotes AND purchase agreements (which also show your age) should be stored properly as they make nice family heirlooms.

:)

:D

Really, do yourself,and your family big favour..forget about having a gun for ''self defense''!!

You pull a gun ,even in ''self defense'' and you hurt or kill another person, whatever the truth may be at that time is going to be irrelevant when you, ''A FARANG'' appear in court. You are automatically GUILTY.

Doing time in any jail is horrifying..a westerner in a Thai jail ? Horror times 10..You'd be better off using your gun on yourself than spend time in Thai jail!!

These are the implications of being armed.. :D ...Not worth it my friend.

Yes it is better to just allow you and your family to die....NOT!

And the age old retort goes:

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Astonished that this thread hasn't been closed yet. Duplicitous and illegal advice... Maybe I just post my threads on the wrong day :huh:

If you had a gun and was confronted by an intruder would you have it in you to pull the trigger? if not theb be prepared to have your gun taken off you and used on you maybe!!!

dont bother, get some good locks, a dog and some bits of wood.

If you had a gun and was confronted by an intruder would you have it in you to pull the trigger? if not theb be prepared to have your gun taken off you and used on you maybe!!!

In my home? With my wife and children inside?

Yes, without a second of hesitation.

Like what LOZ said

In my home? With my wife and children inside?

Yes, without a second of hesitation.

Like what LOZ said

You and me both, but what about the OP?

I dont feel I need a gun right now, we live at a dead end street in a secure estate but if I was to move into a free standing house out in the middle of nowhere I would buy a shot gun and pistol for safety reasons. at the moment my dogs and a bat make me and the wife feel safe. there is always people at home in our house so I do not have this worry.

I confess though, once you've seen gun shot wound up close, you might think twice about inflicting one.

:ermm:

Just imagine your wife, child, etc. killed (or worse) by an intruder(s) and you'll do just fine. Growing up in an area where hunting is normal helps.

:)

But sadly you can only control your own emotions and actions, ultimately.

I find increasing comfort in the serenity prayer these days.

It seems to have ALL the answers to life's difficult questions.

Guns always make interesting debates :rolleyes:

as US gun makers say, "Prepare for a war to avoid it"

In LOS there are several non legal guns, easily gives you couple of years in jail only to hold one, not to mention fire one

I have had a Thai registered legal hand gun since 2004. My GF has one too.

The process to get a lisence to purchase a gun is like this, application to Amphur

1. Each province decides which districts residents can apply, usually only Amphur Muang

2. Applicant must have at least 6 months of residence as number one in Tabien Baan, House Master

3. as i recall at least 2 mill baht in bankaccount past 6 months

4. Must be sole owner of at least one Chanote or NS3G.

When license to purchas is issued, its time to see the gun dealers, most of them in BKK Chinatown. Most licenses are restricted to 10 bullets, but my Glock 9mm with 15 bullets in each magazine and one in chamber is legal to purchase/own, but not to use with more than 10 bullets in it.

When purchase completed, you and gun and usually gun seller goes to one Policestation in BKK where you owning this particular gun is registered. The gun is already equipped with thai serialnumbers at least 3 places.

When you come back to your home province, time to see Amphur again which will replace your purchase license with an owners license for this gun. Make several copies of this owners license, as this is your proof your gun is legal, and a copy must always be with gun.

Gun can be brought with airplane, its checked in as special luggage, and handed back to you on arrival

Gun can be brought in car, gun and bullets must be in separate places like one in trunk and one in glovecompartment

Gun should not be brought on motocy.

Gun can not be carried in public places, except for transportation in car to/from shooting range or between homes. Transporting gun between homes, I bring Tabien Baan for the homes in question.

Bullets can be purchased without any license, at shooting range or in gun shops.

there are only a few hundred farang with licensed guns in LOS

Guns are only allowed to be used within your private property, and trespassers must be made aware of propertylines (fence). Only armed and dangerous intruders can be shot. Anyone in the household has the right to defend themselves with a legal gun. After the use of a gun, Police should be informed. Its better you do it than the neighbor. Obvious self defence cases are usually stopped at the Police station, and not passed on to the Prosecutor

I have posted in gun threads before, and recived some PMs. I prefer an open discussion within Forum rules here :)

4. Must be sole owner of at least one Chanote

Are you a Thai national? I may be wrong but as I understand non-Thai nationals can not own a Chanute?

Thanks for a good post!

I am farang

farang can own Chanote condominium according to Condominium act

Most Amphur also seem to accept farang 30 year lease or usufruct registered in Chanote as "ownership"

4. Must be sole owner of at least one Chanote

Are you a Thai national? I may be wrong but as I understand non-Thai nationals can not own a Chanute?

Thanks for a good post!

I am farang

farang can own Chanote condominium according to Condominium act

Most Amphur also seem to accept farang 30 year lease or usufruct registered in Chanote as "ownership"

Ah, I didn't realise a condo counts as a chanute I thought this term was only used for land freehold. Thanks.