Driving From Manchester Uk To Thailand!

coolhandjoe

Due to the expensive flights from manchester to Thailand.

I am considering......wait for it......yes....incorperating the travel into the holiday.

My wife and 4 kids are considering driving to thailand in my 10year old 4x4.

The car is good , we are good, we have researched many other adventurers blogs and concluded if organised properly could be a experience of a life time.

Any feedback about sponsership, dodgy countrys and travel routes appreciated.

Insane Brit, It's been done before and it is all documented by the demented Brits online. Here are the sad facts. The cost exceeded 10000 pounds not including the 5000 customs deposit for import of the car. They tried to donate/give it away, and that was an another 5000. finaly shipped it home for 2000, cheaper. The pitfallls were monumental. Must have resident driver inside China. via China tourist agency. Paper work over the top as well as the cost. Forget about the trip itself ,which borders on white knuckles non-stop. I, too, dream of such adventures and have done some crazy shit all ready but the cost for this is beyond my means. I live here, have a Thai truck in my name, and it is a major undertaking , just to go to Laos or Cambodia., I estimate you could fly your family first class twice for the price of your dream holiday. Good luck, and read the details via a google search for an accurate account.

Forget it! The visa regulations and war zones between here and the UK make it a potential minefield of problems. A friend of mine some years ago had the same idea, just to take some friends from the UK back to Pakistan. They thought it would be a nice adventure. It was. Several countries refused them entry because their papers were incomplete or visa rules had changed, particularly with regard to the vehicle. They ended up penniless in a jail about 3 days before reaching Pakistan. There was no British Consulate in the area and it was 3 months before they finally got back to the UK to tell the tale. Their vehicle was confiscated.

But if you still decide to go ahead, get some kind of sponsorship deal from your bank or a major company (perhaps the news media). They will monitor your progress and be available 24 hours to handle any problems en route. I read a very interesting account some years ago about an enterprising couple who drove from Brest in Normandy to the Crimea - in a Rolls Royce! They made it, despite traveling through parts of Eastern Germany as it then was. But you will be driving through war torn and war ravaged countries. Imagine the extra cost if you had to drive around the country instead of going through it!

I wish you success, but please proceed with extreme caution! Air tickets may work out cheaper when you consider the potential to lose everything, your freedom or even your life!

P&M

instead of flying (as you mentioned on another tread it's at least 3500gbp), driving (even more expensive), try to find out getting on a cargo ship. From the uk to singapore it's 7 days and there is usually a cabin or two for the travellers.

Even the best organised trips of this sort can de-rail for seemingly insignificant reasons. Andy Pag who's driving a bio-fuled bus around the world is currently in jail in India, for carrying a satellite phone (considered an essential item on a trip of this nature).

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=219296

IMHO Forget it!

how would you feel in iran,afghanistan,pakistan,even if you could get through,not very safe for sure,you'd be a target for every extremist,would you really consider putting your family at such a risk?maybe going through russia and into china down through Laos or vietnam maybe another way.Even if you did go the more direct route via iran afghanistan pakistan and india i dont believe you'd get through myanmar,but i do understand the excitment you have about undertaking such a trip.I believe there are bus company's that do do an overland trip from london,safety in numbers and an organisation rather than as a lone adventure could be the way to go.

Many of us oldies did this trip over 30 years ago when the world was a safer and an easier place to travel in.I ende up on an old freighter from sigapore to australia,the whole trip took 5 months and the only place i could n't go to was pakistan cos they were fighting the indians over kashmir(no surprise there).

instead of flying (as you mentioned on another tread it's at least 3500gbp), driving (even more expensive), try to find out getting on a cargo ship. From the uk to singapore it's 7 days and there is usually a cabin or two for the travellers.

Great Idea. Then you can experience being pirated off of Somalia. :)

If your children can deside for them self - i mean, if they are over 16-17 years old. If you do it for adventure reasons.

If you can garantie that the preparation is very good, you have sufficent money, time and support behind you,

why not?

Everything is possible and i woud like to hear about your adventure.

But do not forget, we live in dangerous times and i am not even sure if at the end Thailand will wilcome you wit open arms.

If your children can deside for them self - i mean, if they are over 16-17 years old. If you do it for adventure reasons.

If you can garantie that the preparation is very good, you have sufficent money, time and support behind you,

why not?

Everything is possible and i woud like to hear about your adventure.

But do not forget, we live in dangerous times and i am not even sure if at the end Thailand will wilcome you wit open arms.

A friend of mine travelled from Beijing to Arnhem on "'Penelope', a 1965 Yorkshire-made 650cc Panther, and his mate rode 'Dutch Courage', a 1954 Norton 600. Their route took them across the Northern-most of the Old Silk Roads over the roof of the world through China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, the burning deserts in Iran, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Germany."

They had it pretty rough with lots of border problems, bandits etc. And these are old but pretty tough guys. Read their story, it should hopefully put you and your family off.

http://www.thelasthurrah.co.nz/book.html

More like 19 days UK/European port to Singapore or Malaysia, perhaps 15 from Med. port. And while it is certainly possible, the number of ships carrying passengers on this route are currently no more than half a dozen a month. Try "cruisepeople.co.uk".

Good idea:

I am serious to think about sponsoring you and your family, the only request i have, 4 camera's inside the car, 2 camera,s on to off the car and each person 1 camera on a cap or helmet.

We are going to follow you 24/7 on internet.

If you serious drop me a mail and we can talk about it.

Due to the cost of flights you are now considering driving from UK to Thailand. Have you considered the cost of fuel, vehicle insurance, servicing, visas, food, accomodation etc etc? It could well add up to more than the GBP2500 (you mentioned in another thread) that you are prepared to pay for flights. If the only reason you are considering this option of driving is to save money i would suggest you take the cheapest flights available (Aeroflot or whoever) because flying with them is probably safer than driving.

People that undertake such adventures normally do so after months of planning. Those that do it on a whim risk putting themselves in grave danger!

ps

I replied to your post re the flights and have given a website where you may find flights more within your price range :)

Due to expensive flights, you are going to drive instead?

Yes, that will save a lot of money I think. If you have such a long holiday, why not use pedal-bikes instead? Much cheaper, and better for the environment. Then you can also see the nature in a much better way. It will also keep you fit of course.

Just a suggestion.

Doing it with your mates is one thing and would be great fun. But to take your children and put them in harms way like that would be irresponsible!

I agree with you 100%. I think The Child Protecion Agency should stop it.

Remember it is Manchester they are trying to get away from...staying there counts as child abuse doesn't it?

Gosh, what a bunch of uptight, mollycoddled posters we have here today... :D

I wish my parents would have taken me on adventures like that when I was young. To the OP I say, go for it. Make sure you are prepared but also remember to be flexible with your itinerary. As for crossing countries like Iran or Syria, you will find that people are actually quite welcoming and just like people everywhere else in the world.

A 10 year old 4x4 should be well up to the task. Older may even be better as long as you are technical minded. I ran a 10 year old Hilux that had been rolled over by the previous owner in Africa. It ran like a charm and even after over 300k km on the clock did the engine never need any more than a fresh oil change and adjusting the valves.

Don't listen to all the spoil-sport, nay-sayers....what a bunch of pansies. :)

I have some links that are geared towards bikers doing that sorta thing but you may find good info as for needed documents and countries there:

Horizons Unlimited and their forum The Hubb

Take care and enjoy. :D

Edited by TerraPosse

http://www.tuktotheroad.co.uk/

It has even been done by tuk tuk, but the other way around, Bangkok- Brighton.

Go for it !

The OP has a wife and 4 kids. Can you imagine so many people in a tuk-tuk :)

Easily....but they will have to bring a few friends too or it will be underladen.

Better install a DVD to keep the kids amused and a GPS to stop Dad getting lost when they are trundling thru Afghanistan :D

If you take a look at the Made in Thailand market on 2nd road pattaya there was a shop for years owned by a Belgian guy who arrived by bicycle from Belgium more then 15 years ago.His bicycle which was used was always on show in the shop.Then a few years ago some other Belgians came by bicycle and had a ceremony at the embassy in Bangkok.About 10 years ago I met a Belgian family who had made the trip with their MAN truck which they had rebuilt as a motorhome.They combined it as a world trip for which they used a full year all together.They entered Thailand on 2 occasions during their world trip.Of course all these examples concern Belgians which might be a bit braver then others. :)