Opticians Recommendations

mrjohn

I am sure this has been covered before, but can anyone recommend a good optician in Phuket?

I need varifocals and a new eye test.

I have been putting this off for some time because they all seem to be so expensive. It seems the shops are run by staff who are only interested in showing you the designer frames which immediately become discounted by 50%!

Any recommendations from personal experience would be much appreciated

I got my glasses at a shop in Central Festival and must say, it has been a good relationship all around.

I first went there 3 years ago and they told me that once i bought my glasses there, i would have a lifetime of service for free from them.

I go in about once a month or so to get them cleaned and the frames tightened.

Twice, I rolled over them in my sleep and the glass came out. They fixed them

Always for free and lots of smiles all around.

Last year, my eyes were getting worse so i got new glass put in the old frames as i didn't want to fork out the money for new frames.

This year, i still go in there once a month and get the same smiles and service.

All for free (the new glass cost money, as it was a new prescription)

Their eye exam is all computerized and the guy tells you right away what is wrong in your close up vision, mid range vision and long distance vision.

The glasses fixed all 3 of those problems for me.

Now, if i could only remember the name of the place. I think it is called "Better Vision"

Is on the 3rd floor (not the top one but one down)

Across from where all the banks have small kiosk shops and near the big kiosk area in the middle of the mall. (near an ice cream and coffee shop too)

Good luck.

I got my glasses at a shop in Central Festival and must say, it has been a good relationship all around.

I first went there 3 years ago and they told me that once i bought my glasses there, i would have a lifetime of service for free from them.

I go in about once a month or so to get them cleaned and the frames tightened.

Twice, I rolled over them in my sleep and the glass came out. They fixed them

Always for free and lots of smiles all around.

Last year, my eyes were getting worse so i got new glass put in the old frames as i didn't want to fork out the money for new frames.

This year, i still go in there once a month and get the same smiles and service.

All for free (the new glass cost money, as it was a new prescription)

Their eye exam is all computerized and the guy tells you right away what is wrong in your close up vision, mid range vision and long distance vision.

The glasses fixed all 3 of those problems for me.

Now, if i could only remember the name of the place. I think it is called "Better Vision"

Is on the 3rd floor (not the top one but one down)

Across from where all the banks have small kiosk shops and near the big kiosk area in the middle of the mall. (near an ice cream and coffee shop too)

Good luck.

Only if they could do something about your memory.

No, serious, sounds like great service.

I'll go have a look too.

I use Washington Optical in Phuket Town, away from the tourists areas (and prices) and they're very good, lots of TV posters have recommended them. For a professional eye exam try Dr Captain at Bangkok/Phuket Hospital who incidentaly also recommends Washington Optical.

I use Washington Optical in Phuket Town, away from the tourists areas (and prices) and they're very good, lots of TV posters have recommended them. For a professional eye exam try Dr Captain at Bangkok/Phuket Hospital who incidentaly also recommends Washington Optical.

I second Washington Optical, used them for years. And I also have eye examinations from Dr Captain.

I went to Vision Institute today, based on the posts above. I was skeptical, as I have always had to leave Top Charoen and others having paid $$ for items.

I took my Thai mother in law. Dr. Sey was in the US, but his nephew saw us. His wife is also the front office manager and she speaks English. Dr. Sey´s nephew speaks almost fluent English.

Anyways, I had hopes for a good honest decision on my MIL issues (catarats, etc etc).

He refused to give her prescription glasses as they would not help! Arai wa? He wanted to give her sunglasses to help her cope until the catarat operation. So he tested her with various color lenses and then, the bomb!

We walked out with the same sun glasses that she walked in with. They were the best color for her problem.

I was speechless.

You want an honest eye doctor, please, visit Vision. They are directly across that disco on Montri road. For those of you who do not know where that is, it is the same road as the main post office. Opposite the disco and many game shops.

• 1 year later...