Tourist Bank Account

Is there a bank in thailand that allows tourists and non permanent residents to open an account...i've enquired at a couple but was told i needed an address and/or a work permit

I have an account in greece though i dont reside there permanently and to open it i needed only my then temporary address in greece and a minimum 300 euro initial deposit

Regarding a thai bank account i am talking about not a visa type account but rather only a simple cash card for depositing cash and withdrawels at atm's

I tried at the Siam Bank and the Bangkok Bank in 2549/2006. It was a lot of time and taxis into the centre of Bangkok wasted to get nowhere. IMHO you need a girlfriend to get the visa to open the bank account. Rather a self-defeating purpose if you consider the whole rigmarole. :)

I can't edit due to a FF prob.

I want to add, apply for an online account so that you can do yr transfers.

So, ask for a Savings a/c

A debit card

& nline banking

Shouldn't cost more than 600bt + I suggesta deposit of at least 1000bt :)

Opening a bank account generally requires a local address for all people; ie a way to be able to contact the account holder. The banks seem to be getting tougher on this due to KYC/AML regulations - it is apparently something is that is audited by the Central Bank i.e. that the bank has a registered address for their customers.

I know guys who gave the address of their htl without the name of the htl.

A solid email address is more important so that you can be contacted, ie; Gmail, not hotmail or yahoo.

In 10 years, Kbank have never written to me at my home address! :)

• 3 weeks later...
I tried at the Siam Bank and the Bangkok Bank in 2549/2006. It was a lot of time and taxis into the centre of Bangkok wasted to get nowhere. IMHO you need a girlfriend to get the visa to open the bank account. Rather a self-defeating purpose if you consider the whole rigmarole. :)

You should just get the GF to open an account to transfer the money to, after all your going to be giving it all to her sooner or later so may as well cut out the hassle. :D