Traveling 24+ Hrs With A 3 Month Old

TheJoker12

Adults get more or less destroyed physically after a 24 hour - 3 flight schedule... But how hard is it on an infant? We have reserved a child bassinet.

We are wondering how fearful we should be of exposing our child to germs, he has not yet been sick at all.

Just looking to hear others experiences.

I wouldnt be too worried about the germs....but your sanity may be compromised...LOL....hard work that one, may be go and see a Dr and see if there is something he can give you.

Know as I child when faced with journeys such as this my parents used to slip me a teaspoon of brandy here and here and suppose to have worked a treated with no ill effects

I'm sorry but I cannot understand people who travel to places like Thailand with such a small child ? I once flew here next to such a couple and it was horrendous. The stewardess eventually took pity after 8 hours and moved me to business. Why would you want to put your child through the heat, the health risks and the inconvenience for yourselves ? :D:)

grand parents unwilling to travel back home.

mystery solved.

you should have purchased business class yourself, although we are booked for business anyways, so...

Any reason why you can't wait a few months before visiting? Give the lil guy / gal a chance to develop some immunity, eat baby food and so on.

My son is just 8.5 months and there is not a chance in xxxx that I would put him through what you are suggesting at this point.

You are very lucky, it will be REALLY easy. 3month is really young.

As long as you don't have one of those iritable, crying all the time, child it will be really fine. Most of the time when i see babies under 5months in the ride from bangkok/canada they always sleep most of the way because of the air + engine noise.

Around 8months to 3 years, its a goddamn miracle if you survive.

I did it at 8months and 11months.. i vomited many times during the flight out of exaustion

Going to do it at 1 year 7months again.. Going to bring adrenaline shot and revival kit

Edited by gvallee2

mystery solved.

you should have purchased business class yourself, although we are booked for business anyways, so...

Any reason why you can't wait a few months before visiting? Give the lil guy / gal a chance to develop some immunity, eat baby food and so on.

My son is just 8.5 months and there is not a chance in xxxx that I would put him through what you are suggesting at this point.

IT's not hard for the child, only the parents.

I have seen and talked to over 8 parents during my 2 flights that lasted 30hours and none of them had any trouble with their kid.. usualy people just end up putting the kids together in a lane.

It's just hard for the parents to go without sleep + stress and no food.

is the difference between 1 yr and 3 month significant in terms of immunity?

Not a doctor but would say yes.

Breast milk should build up immunity and provide protection more than formula.

At least 1 year old body can handle viruses etc much better than 3 monts old. The older the better if the kid is going to get sick.

Then again 3 month old should be fairly ok. At least people do it all the time so i assume some of them have consulted their doc instead of just asking in internet forums. :)

Maybe Sheryl is around, she can probably give you some facts.

The kid will probably sleep all the way except for feed times.

That's what my 1 month old did when we flew to UK and back.

Give it a bottle (or draught) at times of ascent and descent so there won't be any problems with pressurisation of the ears.

Edited by PattayaParent

parents suffer, babies sleep. now, a one yr old that is still crawling but refuses to stay on your lap, 'nother story.... give bottle or breast (mom's with milk, not yours) or pacifier (dummy) for ears....

kids meet 'germs' in supermarkets, cars/busses/whatever. unless your child is prone already to many illnesses (like ear infectins that are usually viral anyhow and not contagious) the only main problem i found was that the air is very dry and everyone suffers.

my kids flew to the states it was like a 30 hr nitemare, two of them are asthmatic and the dry air caused minor problems as was the going thru the us side with the needle/syringe for drawing up ventolin that i had brought with me... and the one yr old at the time inssited on crawling up and down the plane lane; and we had a unplanned landing and stayover... but well prepared saves time and energy. if u cant eat, why not bring crackers for munching down/and make sure to drink lots of fluids.

bring extra pampers/baby clothes/baby wipes/ and extra clothes for whoever is holding the child...

and thailand isnt any worse then any other country. each country had its own diseases/water etc. make sure if he is bottle fed u have spares (nipples, bottles, etc) since if a bottle falls, u cant really wash it.

not sure aobut flying policy for similac/baby formulas and boiled water since mine are all grown up .

remember to bring babies vaccines record (or copy) / and some liquid paracetamol or whatever u use for your baby when he is with fever or ears hurt/bring a thermometer/and all other baby paraphanelia u will need for changing/cleaning/etc... bring extras. from personal experience. also, i put my name address parents name phone number emergency info, in small plastic envelope and taped to baby and kids clothing (our emergency landing was a real live almost crash and the stewardesses were useless with what to do with young children and babies, so we got organized.)

moving this to family section ... for more precise ideas...

bina

israel

mystery solved.

Sounds very much as if those grand parents have set their priorities. To hel_l with flying back home - it's inconvenient and all we'd get to do is visit our grandchild! Let 'em bring the kid to us!

my son at 3 months slept the whole 12hrsfrom UK except for quick feed breaks & nappy changes. At that age they are generally sleeping 18hrs+a day anyway so makes no difference to them where it is. Never got a bug or cold & had a great time being fussed over by everyone. At 10 months he slept less but was still ok, just needed more effort on our part to keep him amused.

In my bungalow resort there are quite a few people coming with children less then 2 years old, and yes also less then 1 year old. Personally I wouldn't have the courage to do this. When our daughter was very young, we travelled with her, but with our own car, and never more then 2 days, going to the family in law, spending one night in a hotel in conveniently halfway located Hua Hin. Moving by public transport from place to place for weeks at an end is quite a different thing I would think.

I would like to see someone qualified in the medical field posting in this thread.

Why shouldn't you bring your 3 month old baby on a 12 hour flight trip? It's not at all hard on the child, it's just hard on the parents. If the mother is still breast feeding, then it is actually a perfect opportunity for the child to develop her own immune system while still being helped by her mothers immune system. Couldn't be better for the child

Of course you can take a 3 month old, don't worry, she'll sleep most of the time. Don't care about other people, you have the same right as they do

I would like to see someone qualified in the medical field posting in this thread.

I'm an engineer, not a doctor but I have asked a couple of Swedish doctors this and their replies are clear; It's is good for the child to travel and to be out much while the mother still is breast feeding, perfect opportunity to build up the childs own immune system in a safe way, while the child is still also protected by her mothers immune system.

It is according to the same doctors not good to keep a young child inside, not exposed while the mother still is breast feeding.

Through three children I can say they all handled traveling differently. At such a young age the worst on a child/baby is during landing with the ear pain.

I didn't do it and do not like it but other mothers have talked about giving a crying baby Benadrill. I am sure I spelled it wrong. It makes babies sleepy and softens the pain on the ears supposedly.

I did have problems a few times with the foods in various countries that were not our home. Several bouts of diahrea for the children. Teh doctors back home told us it is the different bacterias the children have not been exposed to until then. So be carefull and make sure you keep them hydrated incase of such events. Do not feed the baby any local foods. In your case their is no need to do that because of his age.

good luck. Personally I did not enjoy traveling with my children when they were that young. Very hard to enjoy a vacation unless it is an all inclusive. Agree with the pack more difficult on the parents by far. Good you are going business but if not most planes reserve the front seats for those with infants and small children. Just ask at the counter for the seats. Makes the trip a bit more bearable with space when traveling in the cattle car.

Unless your baby is already ill and cranky before the flight, I'd guess - like many parents here - that the baby will sleep most of the way. Yup, 3 months is easy. It's when they are too old to stay trapped in a bassenet, and too young to be plugged into a Nintendo DSi that you have to brace yourself and pray for strength! Good luck.

Edited by Ananke