Remember Windows 3.1?

george

I was working as a computer tekkie at a bank in Germany and had to help the staff with their day to day computer problems under win 3.11.

Then win95 came along and with that all this registry stuff....couldn't be bothered to start the learning curve all over again and became a forwarder in Thailand instead....talking about learning curves.... :)

I got dragged kicking and screaming from DOS to Windows - only because eventually, so many apps would only run in Windows. I well remember all the autoexec.bat and config.sys batch files I had for freeing up RAM when I wanted to run memory-hungry apps in DOS. Remember how many people said that Windows was a passing fad? :)

Then win95 came along and with that all this registry stuff....couldn't be bothered to start the learning curve all over again

The registry can be 'intimidating' at first, but it isn't rocket science. It's just a matter of getting to know where everything is and understanding how dependencies work.

INI files are easier to work with no doubt.

I well remember all the autoexec.bat and config.sys batch files I had for freeing up RAM when I wanted to run memory-hungry apps in DOS.

Constant tinkering of these files was routine. Free more RAM!

Edited by Supernova

<snip>

Constant tinkering of these files was routine. Free more RAM!

Constant nightmares: LOADHI.SYS, DOS=HIGH, UMB, HIMEM.SYS, EMM386.EXE, DEVICEHIGH=.... rearrangng the order that the drivers got loaded to see if you could get more free RAM <shudder>

It was a bit like Tetris - trying to get 20 different sized blocks into an oblong bucket and not leave any holes. What a game. :)

Windows 3.1 - wasn't that when Microsoft tried to sabotage competing DR-Dos by building incompatibilities into the code so the installation would fail?

And wasn't that the operating system that wasn't one (because Windows ran on top of DOS)

And wasn't that when all geeks and wannabes hoped that OS/2 would beat Microsoft's Win95 as predecessor of Windows 3.1

welo

I had a 20 GB HDD!! Yeah! was about the size of my sub-notebook and made a sound like a 747 upon take-off when booting up. :)

Connected to my Euro-PC (that was the one with 640 kB!! So much better than the IBMs!) via serial port.

Ran Win 2.0 on it but when win 3.1 came along, a 386 was in order with, yes, on your knees and worship me....4 (FOUR!!) MB or RAM. Wasn't cheap either, about 80,000 Baht I had to shell out for it...

Ran Win 2.0 on it but when win 3.1 came along, a 386 was in order with, yes, on your knees and worship me....4 (FOUR!!) MB or RAM. Wasn't cheap either, about 80,000 Baht I had to shell out for it...

Imagine the computing power 80,000 Baht would get you nowadays... :)