Where Can I Buy Pepper Spray For Self Defence In Phuket

sid1967

Lots of stalls along beach road in Patong have them as well. If it says 'CN" or "CS" that is what is commonly called tear gas and stings the eye's. I have seen CN and CS be completely infective on people, especially if they are on drugs. Better to get the one that says "OC" or "Oleoresin Capsicum". That is the real nasty stuff. It's made of red peppers and actually swells soft tissue of the nose and throat making it quickly hard to breath. The problem with OC is the active ingredient has expiry dates, and after a few years becomes inert, and I have seen OC for sale on the street here that looked like it had been cycled out of police or military use, and was probably no longer potent. Check the expiry date if it has one. Only way to know is to try it on someone (a volunteer of course), or on your self, which trust me is not pleasant. It's been associated with some deaths in the states.

post-43105-1264544523_thumb.jpgDunno if you can get these in Lalaland but these 'Pepper Spray Key Chains' from the UK would seem to be the ticket. 15 sprays from a cartridge and discreet too...can't post the link otherwise I might get bearded..easy to find on any search engine though..

The question is, "Why would you need pepper spray in Phuket at all?" Not like it is the wild west like Pattaya? "Self-defence" by foreigners is not appreciated by the Thai authorities, I would imagine? :)

Why would you want the ability to self defend ?? With a non lethal..

I take it you havent been either attacked or had a break in yet ??

• Thumbs Up 1

Cant imagine the authorities being particularly concerned if it had been used on an intruder.

Problem with pepper spray/CS gas is it nearly always blinds the person using it as well. I was in a room where it was used once and after one small spray not a single person could speak or see for about 15 minutes.

Even in the street in can often stop the person using it being able to see.

Cant imagine the authorities being particularly concerned if it had been used on an intruder.

Problem with pepper spray/CS gas is it nearly always blinds the person using it as well. I was in a room where it was used once and after one small spray not a single person could speak or see for about 15 minutes.

Even in the street in can often stop the person using it being able to see.

in a closed area or the wind blowing back towards you, it will also hurt the person using it.

Many many years ago, when I worked in a store some punk kid sprayed the stuff in a bathroom and ran out, turns out a old man in a wheelchair was also in the bathroom, only he could not wheel himself out, as his hands kept naturally going to his face as he voilently caughed, I ran in and got him, and only took one breathe in there, I was caughing for 5 minutes after that.

The question is, "Why would you need pepper spray in Phuket at all?" Not like it is the wild west like Pattaya? "Self-defence" by foreigners is not appreciated by the Thai authorities, I would imagine? :)

:D

Absolutely right Musongman ! Far too many paranoid, delusional , insecure people out in La la land IMO. The ones who are so afraid that they must carry a weapon to defend themselves from the unseen villains lurking in the shadows...

This ''perceived threat'' is put forward frequently as an excuse for these few people to feel the need to be armed.I believe it simply makes these feel ''manly'', bit like the guys struting their stuff with the big dog dragging them down the road...""Look at ME!!!''

The pepper spray, mace, baseballbats,guns brigade are all too evident on TV, for whatever reason,its got me beat.

If you are in an enforcement job,and fully trained and understand all the implications of ''self defence'', then and only then is there a reason to be carrying any ''weapon'' at all IMO.

You get some ''dads army'' types on here preaching their need to be armed,and its a load of crock.

The amount of these guys that end up having their own ''self defence'' weapons taken from them, and used then, against them is high.Its a fools game.

I have lived here since '92 in the same condo, and i have NEVER felt the need to be ''armed'' ..never..but thats just me!

The amount of these guys that end up having their own ''self defence'' weapons taken from them, and used then, against them is high.Its a fools game.

Local news link for any ??

News Link ?? No But i spent 25 years living the hard life on the streets learning firsthand what goes on in real life, OK..understand the meaning of ''streetwise''?

What i tell on forum has been learned the hard way ,the real way..not what some ''news link tells!!! or ''as seen in the movies""..

But this has all been said before...some just don't get it huh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its just the local news is littered with assaults, sword wielding nutters etc.. Yet according to you being prepared is more likely to backfire, I am racking my brains for anything of the like on the island in years (someone who planned ahead enough to then have it taken from them and used against them).

I would say tell that to the French family needing surgery, or the guy beaten by the tuktuk driver, or one of 10's (you know about the murder in Kathu last week ??). I bet they rather regret having some non lethal self defence to hand, in the glovebox, etc.. If only to make sure they kept their distance.

• Thumbs Up 1

:)

Absolutely right Musongman ! Far too many paranoid, delusional , insecure people out in La la land IMO. The ones who are so afraid that they must carry a weapon to defend themselves from the unseen villains lurking in the shadows...

This ''perceived threat'' is put forward frequently as an excuse for these few people to feel the need to be armed.I believe it simply makes these feel ''manly'', bit like the guys struting their stuff with the big dog dragging them down the road...""Look at ME!!!''

Who said the poster wanted to feel Manly? Perhaps it is a woman.

I have pepper spray by my bed.(but no big dog or big bike or big truck.. i did rescue a little kitten the other day though..)

Better both me and an intruder not seeing then both of us seeing at least I can find my way out of the house.

Perhaps I am also not really a mister man and I think it is just realistic to be a be cautious. I have had a friend attacked in her home in Phuket in daylight, a friend have an intruder while she was sleeping, a friend attacked while she was jogging, personally have had an attempted attack on my motorbike at 3 in the afternoon, have had dogs bite me, have had strange faces in my window when I am home alone at 2am, 8am, and even when I have not been alone.

A little pepper spray would have been nice. Admittedly not always possible to grab it (like going 30km an hour on a bike and a dog bitting my arse ) , but some of those times. Would have loved to get the face in my window.!!

If I am paranoid then so be it, I think it is justified paranoia and better then having the illusion that Phuket is so safe and none of those smiles are contemptuous and that it won't happen to me.

Also perhaps if I lived in a CONDO then I think I would feel safer too.

Exactly.. No ones talking about going and playing Rambo here.. (Its only HiK constantly making digs on a theme) But some basic home defense (including better quality locks, better home lighting, etc etc).. Since our break in to allay the wifes fears theres a pepper spray in her bedside drawer, thats a directional pepper spray jet not a CS gas style.

Perhaps I am also not really a mister man and I think it is just realistic to be a be cautious. I have had a friend attacked in her home in Phuket in daylight, a friend have an intruder while she was sleeping, a friend attacked while she was jogging, personally have had an attempted attack on my motorbike at 3 in the afternoon, have had dogs bite me, have had strange faces in my window when I am home alone at 2am, 8am, and even when I have not been alone.

LOL do you know me ??

Sorry inside joke..

I have pepper spray by my bed.(but no big dog or big bike or big truck.. i did rescue a little kitten the other day though..)

Better both me and an intruder not seeing then both of us seeing at least I can find my way out of the house.

A little pepper spray would have been nice. Admittedly not always possible to grab it (like going 30km an hour on a bike and a dog bitting my arse ) , but some of those times. Would have loved to get the face in my window.!!

If I am paranoid then so be it, I think it is justified paranoia and better then having the illusion that Phuket is so safe and none of those smiles are contemptuous and that it won't happen to me.

I have a gun by my bed. In daytime I keep it in a safe.

Had it for 6 years. had to go by car to BKK to get it. more easy now, allowed to bring it on the airplane. my experience is that police support farang defending themself

I also have a big dog, a big bike and a big fourwheeldrive truck. I even take my big dog walking in Bangla sometimes. Must say these items dont make me feel manly, neither does walking my dog. Other activities can do

My ex girlfriend also has a gun. D-mn shes good at shooting. She has a small dog though, and prefere passanger cars. Her gun doesnt make her feel manly either. When we developed realestate together, we used to have one gun at each side of the bed. Improved quality of sleep

Paranoid, delusional and insecure? Assumptions from happyinkathu. Bulletholes in our car and housewindow are facts to relate to.

paranoia is to need splashproof goggles when jumpstarting a car

BTW, I find Phuket a very safe place to live, and our need for self defense was a result of the business we where involved in. Need for selfdefence is much higher in other places like some south american countries and russia

I have a gun by my bed. In daytime I keep it in a safe.

Had it for 6 years. had to go by car to BKK to get it. more easy now, allowed to bring it on the airplane. my experience is that police support farang defending themself

I also have a big dog, a big bike and a big fourwheeldrive truck. I even take my big dog walking in Bangla sometimes. Must say these items dont make me feel manly, neither does walking my dog. Other activities can do

My ex girlfriend also has a gun. D-mn shes good at shooting. She has a small dog though, and prefere passanger cars. Her gun doesnt make her feel manly either. When we developed realestate together, we used to have one gun at each side of the bed. Improved quality of sleep

Paranoid, delusional and insecure? Assumptions from happyinkathu. Bulletholes in our car and housewindow are facts to relate to.

paranoia is to need splashproof goggles when jumpstarting a car

BTW, I find Phuket a very safe place to live, and our need for self defense was a result of the business we where involved in. Need for selfdefence is much higher in other places like some south american countries and russia

:D Totally up to you KBB but the one single thing you and i agree on is that Phuket is a safe place to live...Why then do you feel the need to go armed, if indeed you are not paranoid and insecure?

As for the splashproog goggles..you are showing your lack of understanding again or more likely trolling!..<deleted>! Those words are from the prevention of blindness website pertaining to jumpstarting a car :D Not my words at all....THe goggles thing is pushed by many organisations and manufacturers purely to prevent litagation by people who need to be told every thing, that was once common sense!

As for the rest of your rave..????

Admittedly i do live in a condo, with the security that goes with it..but hello , for 18 years i have lived very close to patong and i drive my car, and ride my M/c and i walk on the beach, and i associate with many, many people , both Thai and western and i can catagorically say, as i do on my ''Mypage'':NOT ONE INCIDENT IN THAILAND

Finally, i am one of the most laid back,easy going guys you will find. But NEVER mistake kindness for weakness!!

Maybe this is why in near 20 years here , i have not been even ''bad mouthed''[ except from a couple of?????on this forum ] let alone road raged, robbed, assaulted,raped, shot at, knifed, told to F$#@ off by the nasty wee tuk-tuk guys , or the jet ski boys, etc, etc ad nauseum.

And i am totally unarmed 100% of the time...''STREETWISE" and very, very confident my friend!!

You can say i am ''just lucky''...haha no way in the world....It is simply me practising what i preach. Its very easy..you treat people the same way you want to be treated..You get back what you give out!

BTW if :) i am more than capable of reverting to my street tactics to do what needs to be done.But i haven't had to in more than 20 years........

'' JAI YEN YEN'' :D

Edited by happyinkathu

Tell that to the three farang women raped in by unknown Thai men in Rawai/Naiharn in the last 6 months.

Hmmm, not sure how carrying pepper spray makes one "manly", I think most would say the opposite.

Its just the local news is littered with assaults, sword wielding nutters etc..

So is the local news in every region of the world - here's one from Canada - Did you feel the need to be so cautious at home?

Again, I just don't see the difference from most peoples home countries... did you feel the same way at home as well?

I have a gun by my bed. In daytime I keep it in a safe... develop real estate... Bulletholes in our car and house window are facts to relate to.

Now there's ample reason for self defence!! Most of the rest of us have not had to, nor care to, relate to this level of threat... therefore we don't feel the need to go to such lengths. Hope the development(s) were lucrative!!!

]

Quote Scubbabhudda

Tell that to the three farang women raped in by unknown Thai men in Rawai/Naiharn in the last 6 months.

:) Talk about dads army coming out.. there was a yank in that show also..lol

Yes i understand and have utmost sympathy for any ''victim of crime'' You want vigilantyism..COUNT ME IN..I''ll be there..will you guys? I doubt it! But realistically, unfortunately crime is a worldwide epidemic and having a bunch of people going armed for ''self defense'' will not address the issue. Disgusting and degrading as rape is ,if these women had had weapons they may well be more injured or even dead now.[Taken off them and used against them]I agree also that weapons may have prevented the rapes, but in most cases the male has a strength advantage over a female , so the odds don't stack up IMO.

Sure but some sensible self defense steps, like having pepper spray in your car, your bedroom, or on your person, gets mockery..

Tell it to the expat just stabbed to death tonight in Chalong.

:D RIP

Very sad to hear of another death, anywhere..but you and your ''self defense'' loonies are so far out of touch with reality my friend.

Do you honestly think that when you are attacked by 3 guys that your pepper spray is going to change anything at all?

You continue to show how naiive you are when , every single time there is an incident in Phuket, you and your FEW supporters jump in boots and all with your ''armed and ready'' for anything self defense raves.

You have absolutely NO idea of reality in these regards and you continue showing your ignorance.

Your many many posts where you as a self appointed ''Agony Aunt ''spend all day posting valuble [??]infomation to other naiive people are probably appreciated by a few people , But please stick to what you know. :D

PS..As for ''tell it to the expat just stabbed to death''...Pray tell me oh knowledgeable one..How does one Communicate with the dead??Calm down.. :) and Jai Yen Yen...

Sure but some sensible self defense steps, like having pepper spray in your car, your bedroom, or on your person, gets mockery..

Tell it to the expat just stabbed to death tonight in Chalong.

Very sad to hear of another death, anywhere..but you and your ''self defense'' loonies are so far out of touch with reality my friend.

Do you honestly think that when you are attacked by 3 guys that your pepper spray is going to change anything at all?

You continue to show how naiive you are when , every single time there is an incident in Phuket, you and your FEW supporters jump in boots and all with your ''armed and ready'' for anything self defense raves.

You have absolutely NO idea of reality in these regards and you continue showing your ignorance.

Your many many posts where you as a self appointed ''Agony Aunt ''spend all day posting valuble [??]infomation to other naiive people are probably appreciated by a few people , But please stick to what you know. :D

PS..As for ''tell it to the expat just stabbed to death''...Pray tell me oh knowledgeable one..How does one Communicate with the dead??Calm down.. :) and Jai Yen Yen...

I've used CN and OC in many occasions, on multiple people. It works great. I think that advocating the carrying of pepper spray, especially by women, is not a bad idea. I think calling that an "armed and ready" brigade calling us "self defense loonies" is a bit over the top.

At the end he says "Calm down". lol

I agree. jai yen yen. :D

I can see people wanting to protect themselves or be "self defense loonies" as you put it, not all of us have tuktuk members in the family like you.

Edited by MyphuketLife

:D Totally up to you KBB but the one single thing you and i agree on is that Phuket is a safe place to live...Why then do you feel the need to go armed, if indeed you are not paranoid and insecure?

As for the splashproog goggles..you are showing your lack of understanding again or more likely trolling!..<deleted>! Those words are from the prevention of blindness website pertaining to jumpstarting a car :D Not my words at all....THe goggles thing is pushed by many organisations and manufacturers purely to prevent litagation by people who need to be told every thing, that was once common sense!

As for the rest of your rave..????

Admittedly i do live in a condo, with the security that goes with it..but hello , for 18 years i have lived very close to patong and i drive my car, and ride my M/c and i walk on the beach, and i associate with many, many people , both Thai and western and i can catagorically say, as i do on my ''Mypage'':NOT ONE INCIDENT IN THAILAND

Finally, i am one of the most laid back,easy going guys you will find. But NEVER mistake kindness for weakness!!

Maybe this is why in near 20 years here , i have not been even ''bad mouthed''[ except from a couple of?????on this forum ] let alone road raged, robbed, assaulted,raped, shot at, knifed, told to F$#@ off by the nasty wee tuk-tuk guys , or the jet ski boys, etc, etc ad nauseum.

And i am totally unarmed 100% of the time...''STREETWISE" and very, very confident my friend!!

You can say i am ''just lucky''...haha no way in the world....It is simply me practising what i preach. Its very easy..you treat people the same way you want to be treated..You get back what you give out!

BTW if :) i am more than capable of reverting to my street tactics to do what needs to be done.But i haven't had to in more than 20 years........

'' JAI YEN YEN'' :D

happyinkathu, just have to repeat myself, I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND

Neither am I paranoid or insecure, perhaps a bit naive, but you wouldnt know since you dont know me

Other posters where able to read my post and understand our need for guns in LOS, unfortunately you are unable to. I feel no need to go into details why guns where needed, they where needed and used on occasions. During my next 30 years I find it likely I will need to use it again

In Moscow we had a machinegun armed driver and 3 machinegun armed guards watching condo building/gate/frontdoors.

Phuket is a safe place to live

Do I regret putting myself in a situation to need armed guards or having a personal gun? Some moments I did, not any more

BTW, what rave are you refering to?

We all see in your posts how happy you are, same condo 18 years blabla. I m just a newbie in LOS, came here first time 1969 but have only lived here permanently for 7 years. happy and armed, just in case :D

Can you elaborate SB... what were the circumstances on those many occasions as I'm certain the majority of us have not had any occasions in which to have the opportunity to spray multiple people and we all would like to know what circumstances to avoid.

Tell that to the three farang women raped by unknown Thai men in Rawai/Naiharn in the last 6 months.

:) Talk about dads army coming out.. there was a yank in that show also..lol

Not the 3 rapes I am talking about there wasn't.

Yes i understand and have utmost sympathy for any ''victim of crime'' You want vigilantyism..COUNT ME IN..I''ll be there..will you guys? I

Hmmm...advocating the purchase of pepper spray = vigilantism? Not sure I agree with you there happy.

Can you elaborate SB... what were the circumstances on those many occasions as I'm certain the majority of us have not had any occasions in which to have the opportunity to spray multiple people and we all would like to know what circumstances to avoid.

Don't be a cop. :)

I can see people wanting to protect themselves or be "self defense loonies" as you put it, not all of us have tuktuk members in the family like you.

REgarding tuk tuk owners being in my family;

:) Obviously that is you and your loonie friends loss ..tends to stop one being so one eyed and suffering the very obvious ''superiority complex'' you are afflicted with. I am in the position that i can see both sides of the ''discussion''..and make a fair and balanced decision, but even that wouldn't stop you lot!.we are all equal, get it! Once you get a grasp on that , then you will be able to post something intelligent!

As your avatar shows[ed] you have a strong hatred to ward ALL tuk tuk operaters. I have stated many times that there are some real dogs driving tuk tuks [just as there are on TV forum]

My sister in law and her family[ owner/driver of their own vehical] are far from the SCUM you call them.They have been ''taken over'' by the big boys at the high end of town and have no say at all regards fares or the behaviour of the minority who make a problem!

They were told ''like it or leave''.But once again any facts that oppose your petty one eyed views don't count, do they?That would mean acting rationally...far too hard for you i figure.

Wake up to yourself bud.