Crash Helmet Laws (passengers!)

Eurod

One in three pillion riders flout crash helmet law

Published: BANGKOK NEWS 18/12/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

Nearly one in three motorcycle pillion passengers does not wear a crash helmet despite knowing it is against the law, a survey reveals.

The survey, conducted by the Thailand Accident Research Centre (Tarc), found 32% of 3,757 motorcycle riders and pillion passengers surveyed did not wear helmets while riding pillion as traffic police "were lenient".

Researcher Piyapong Jiwattanakulpaisarn said 53% of respondents were aware that pillion riders not wearing helmets violated the traffic law, while 15% said they were unaware of the law.

Pillion riders are especially vulnerable to injury and death in accidents.

The research also found 47% of both riders and passengers preferred to ignore the importance of wearing crash helmets.

Tarc surveyed motorcycle users in Bangkok, Saraburi, Suphan Buri, Chon Buri, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Songkhla, Chiang Mai and Phitsanulok provinces between May and June this year.

Mr Piyapong said the survey found 66% of the respondents agreed with strict traffic law enforcement against pillion riders not wearing helmets.

However, 28% said traffic police should be lenient with motorcyclists and pillion riders travelling a short distance and pillion riders who are children or elderly.

Most respondents said they did not wear helmets because they were uncomfortable.

Mr Piyapong said motorcyclists and pillion passengers usually wore helmets on roads where police often set up checkpoints.

The crash helmet law has been in place for 17 years but it has not been strictly enforced, the researcher said.

Police across the nation will crack down on motorists who break traffic laws in a bid to reduce road accidents leading up to and during the New Year period. They want to cut the number of accidents by at least 5% compared to last year.

Assistant national police chief Worapong Chiewpreecha yesterday called a meeting of traffic police to announce the launch of a drive to reduce accidents over the New Year

Pol Lt-Gen Worapong said police needed the cooperation of all agencies to cut road accidents.

Checkpoints would be set up during New Year celebrations around the clock, on both local and main roads.

There were 3,824 road accidents over the festive period across the nation last year, claiming 367 lives.

Quote from the OP.

"However, 28% said traffic police should be lenient with motorcyclists and pillion riders travelling a short distance and pillion riders who are children or elderly."

That is quite a proportion who think the most vulnerable of pillion passengers should be let of from wearing a helmet.

It is 'funny' (peculiar, not ha-ha) that the majority of those surveyed believed that kids should be exempt - one would have thought that the opposite opinion be the norm.

The whole system is so rigged, it's hard to know where to start... from the real reasons behind why cops fine non helmet wearers, to the lack of funds available for the common man to purchase safer transportation for his family, to the helmet companies not making good products... yadda yada yadda.

In a free and fair society, the law should be that if you want to wear a helmet, then up to you. It's your life, why do some people feel the need to interfere in others' lives? But hey, that's just my 2 satang worth.

Edited by Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

In a free and fair society, the law should be that if you want to wear a helmet, then up to you. It's your life, why do some people feel the need to interfere in others' lives? But hey, that's just my 2 satang worth.

Sometimes people need to be protected from themselves and sometimes their children need to be protected from irresponsible or just ignorant parents.

One thing to remember is the cost to society of an accident victim. Taxes pay for the Police Investigation(haha) of any accident, then there is the hospital fees and costs, again paid by taxes and the welfare costs should parents be killed or incapacitated. I accept that in Thailand these would not be nearly as high as in the west but helmets do save lives and ultimately the taxpayers hard earned crust.

Where I live the local law is passengers donot need helmets and after six in the evening no one is required to wear a helmet. So it seems to matter where you live to what is applicable.

The local law anywhere in Thailand is that helmets are required. It's just not enforced.

If the BIB should start wearing a helmet, may be the rest would follow the gesture.

Every single day, I see police driving small or big bikes not wearing helmets by themselves.

I collected many pics from them already, once even Thaksin on a 1000+ cc Honda.

Where I live the local law is passengers donot need helmets and after six in the evening no one is required to wear a helmet. So it seems to matter where you live to what is applicable.

The local law anywhere in Thailand is that helmets are required. It's just not enforced.

I donot wish to be arquementative but again I would like to state the local law is after 6 pm helmets arenot required. It is I believe a local way of saying we make our rules here. Yes it is a national law but here it is known as the local law. Sorry about your lack of knowledge about our area.

I always thought that the law was only for the rider to have a helmet, not that I care i make sure my gf or any passenger has a helmet on too.

Which in itself would be ridiculous as the first thing the pillion passenger is going to hit is the drivers helmet right in the face in an accident :):D ..

I really have no idea why Thais refuse to wear helmets, even when the laws are not enforced. And, in places where they ARE enforced, like Bangkok and Pattaya it doesn't make sense not to wear a helmet. Considering that a lot of Thais only make 200 baht a day, why would they risk a day's wages just to do something silly? I have a hard time getting my Thai lady friends to wear my spare helmet when they ride with me. But, I DO insist on it during the day because that is the only time the Chiang Mai police seem to enforce the laws.