Atomic/radio Watches Anyone?

chiangmaiexpat

My old automatic swiss watch has decided to stop working and face early retirement after 8 years of service. Now I am thinking of getting something more techie. Does anyone have experience with watches that adjust themselves to atomic clocks automatically via radio signal? As far as I know, the closest atomic timekeeping signal comes from Xi'an in Shaanxi which is about 1950 km from Chiang Mai. I wonder if the signal can be received here.

Cheers, CMX

I have a Casio that works well. Solar powered, automatic backlight when you raise your wrist, date, stop-watch and all of that. It adjusts automatically everywhere I have been. I thought Iraq and Afghanistan would present a problem with the time signal but it finds the signal even there. I'm in Chiang Rai now and it works well here. I really appreciate that when I travel, the thing just keeps adjusting to the local time before the plane ever lands.

Do a quick online preview of the Casios and I think you'll find several good options. A lot of folks prefer the basic timepiece but I kind of like the ones that do a little more than keep time and Casio has a lot of options in that respect. The solar option is really nice because you don't have to worry about the battery going down and then someone compromising the water seal when they replace the battery. The solar model goes a long time without any light. It won't run down completely unless you put it in a drawer or other dark place and leave it there for a long time. Doesn't have to have sunshine. The lighting in a house will keep it charged. I've had this one for three years and haven't had to do anything to it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have looked at the Casio offerings on the net and their technology is quite impressive. Solar power is surely nice. Casio has models with additional options, such as temperature display, altimeter, compass, tide graph and what not. I doubt that temperature sensors give reliable results, since they would probably pick up the body temperature when worn. Being based in Chiang Mai I can also dispense with tide graphs. A compass, on the other hand, could be useful occasionally.

What model do you have? I went to two different watch shops this morning, but the staff was stunningly ignorant and did not seem to know about atomic/radio function. Maybe I should order on the net...

Cheers, CMX

Ah, a philosophical question. Of course, I would expect my Thai friends to arrive with caesium clock precision for dinner. :)

I simply like the idea of a zero maintenance device. With atomic clock adjustment, you never need to set your watch and with solar power you never need to wind it, or replace batteries.

Cheers, CMX

I have a Casio that works well. Solar powered, automatic backlight when you raise your wrist, date, stop-watch and all of that. It adjusts automatically everywhere I have been. I thought Iraq and Afghanistan would present a problem with the time signal but it finds the signal even there. I'm in Chiang Rai now and it works well here. I really appreciate that when I travel, the thing just keeps adjusting to the local time before the plane ever lands.

Do a quick online preview of the Casios and I think you'll find several good options. A lot of folks prefer the basic timepiece but I kind of like the ones that do a little more than keep time and Casio has a lot of options in that respect. The solar option is really nice because you don't have to worry about the battery going down and then someone compromising the water seal when they replace the battery. The solar model goes a long time without any light. It won't run down completely unless you put it in a drawer or other dark place and leave it there for a long time. Doesn't have to have sunshine. The lighting in a house will keep it charged. I've had this one for three years and haven't had to do anything to it.

Whaaaaaat? ! Thats disturbing! :) I also have the aforementioned watch for 5 yrs , also in Iraq , chiangmai and all aaround the world and did not know the atomic marker would work outside Colorado. Hmm , i will try it right now and see if it gets reception. As faar as the Casio G-shock goes, its expensive but it is virtually indestructible. Including 20ft. drop on to pavement,(dont ask)lol. My watch would like to go on another middle east assignment too.