Why's Car Wax So Expensive In Los?

aussiebebe

Even after typing 'car wax' and then 'wax' into this forum's search bar and getting no results, I still struggle to believe that no-one's ever discussed wax before...must be my error, can someone point out the thread if they know please?

Anyhow, as someone who hasn't been here long, why is car wax so expensive in Thailand?

For example, a bottle of Turtle Wax sells for 6USD in the States and 1,600baht in Bangkok. The lowest price I've found is in Carrefour for 1,288baht. This is crazy. It's the same with other brands too; a 500ml bottle of CarPlan Ultra car wax which is under two pounds in Morrisons in the UK sells here for around 400baht; that's big mark-up on a really low-quality product.

Basically, can anyone help? does anyone know where to buy wax cheaper? I've had reasonable results with Johnsons 'Kit Car' wax which is cheap, but would be interested to hear others' opinions on good waxes at reasonable prices.

Cheers

Imported products have high excise and other gov't. taxes and hence are very expensive. There are brands made in Thailand that are fine substitutes and don't cost a mint (Sonax for one).

Another example, imported Rubbermaid brand food storage containers cost a fortune but perfectly acceptable Thai made rubber containers are very cheap.

I do find it irritating that whenever I go near the car stuff at Big C I'm immediately surrounded by staff trying to make me buy the stuff.

So it's not just me. I dread when I need to get some auto supplies due to that reason. Lotus, BigC, etc. - same thing, the overseer latches on to you and won't take a hint. When looking for something totally unrelated he picks up something else and thrusts it at me. Last time I just gave up in frustration and put my items back on the shelf and walked out.

Anyone have a clue why they do that and only in that section and that they seem to "push" certain items? One time I had made a decision on some car shampoo and had it in hand and he picks up a large bottle of some other brand and hands it to me saying it's cheaper - commission? I have few pet peeves, and that is one of them.

I do find it irritating that whenever I go near the car stuff at Big C I'm immediately surrounded by staff trying to make me buy the stuff.

So it's not just me. I dread when I need to get some auto supplies due to that reason. Lotus, BigC, etc. - same thing, the overseer latches on to you and won't take a hint. When looking for something totally unrelated he picks up something else and thrusts it at me. Last time I just gave up in frustration and put my items back on the shelf and walked out.

Anyone have a clue why they do that and only in that section and that they seem to "push" certain items? One time I had made a decision on some car shampoo and had it in hand and he picks up a large bottle of some other brand and hands it to me saying it's cheaper - commission? I have few pet peeves, and that is one of them.

They're paid higher commission for selling certain products.