Apple Ipad

Goshawk

I bought one today in Ireland there were hundreds of the things at the store I went to. The page is the same as other pages just starting from and nothing else. I think this is the end of the supply issues. Others on forums are also reporting the same thing. This is in a country with a tiny population where neighboring places such as Northern Ireland have had it for ages now. Apple supposedly has ramped up production to over 2 million units per month now so you will most likely see prices drop real fast in Thailand.

It could be that this is a massive shipment and there won't be new supplies coming down the supply chain anytime soon. I just don't see why they would ship such a surplus of these things here if they were all that scarce anymore.

Do you remember the prices when translated into baht?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend repots that iPads now available at over s dozen stores in HK at about the net US Applestore prices (as there are no import duties or sales taxes in HK). The base model can be had for about 16k baht

iPhone 4 available from next week in HK.

Look for some price drops in MBK and other places.

I bought one today in Ireland there were hundreds of the things at the store I went to. The page is the same as other pages just starting from and nothing else. I think this is the end of the supply issues. Others on forums are also reporting the same thing. This is in a country with a tiny population where neighboring places such as Northern Ireland have had it for ages now. Apple supposedly has ramped up production to over 2 million units per month now so you will most likely see prices drop real fast in Thailand.

It could be that this is a massive shipment and there won't be new supplies coming down the supply chain anytime soon. I just don't see why they would ship such a surplus of these things here if they were all that scarce anymore.

Do you remember the prices when translated into baht?

Between 24,094.41 and 33,219.74 for the 3G models.

HK Apple Store now has iPads for sale, shipping 7-10 days. I go to Hkg every month so no problem to pick one up. The 3G version costs HK$1,000 more than the wifi only version but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. I have an AIS 3G unlimited SIM card which I can trim down to size or I can tether via my jailbroken iPhone......

Any advise? Tks in advance

Maybe they're not perfect? Apple store in the USA and UK still have 7-10 days shipping. But it could be they prefer retail stores, e.g. give them priority treatment. To prevent the disappointment of going to a store and being told you can't have what you came for.

Hi all...

Rookie question!

I have a iPhone plan with True... and recently acquired a 64GB 3G+Wifi iPad... why can't I get a cloned SIM such that my iPhone and iPad share the same plan?

Assuming True doesnt want to clone my SIM, why can't I report my iPhone lost... get another new SIM at the same number and just cut it to size for the iPad?

TIA!

Hi all...

Rookie question!

I have a iPhone plan with True... and recently acquired a 64GB 3G+Wifi iPad... why can't I get a cloned SIM such that my iPhone and iPad share the same plan?

Assuming True doesnt want to clone my SIM, why can't I report my iPhone lost... get another new SIM at the same number and just cut it to size for the iPad?

TIA!

Cloning a SIM card is not exactly a rookie question.

But one thing I can tell you is that if you report your SIM lost, and get another one with the same number, it's not going to be the same SIM. The SIM has a unique ID.

In any case, if I had to venture a guess I'd say that even if you did clone the SIM 1:1 (how, I don't know), it wouldn't work. Otherwise people would be doing it.

So what you can do is jailbreak your phone and buy MyWi which allows you to make your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot. Then use the iPad over the iPhone's WiFi.

Anyway... I checked with pals working at TRUE and Nikster is correct... no way to go the route mentioned above.

The only way to get 3G now is that TRUE plan however... a little bird whispered that when TRUE launches the iPad, they will have a plan for subscribers who have both the iPhone and the iPad.

Am still deliberating whether to get the "temporary" plan for my iPad 3G.

Thank you to Nikster for the comments.

I have the iPhone 3GS (purchased from True) with the True sim (unlimited 3G data)

BUT I already have the iPad 3G/WiFi 64G (purchased at MBK) and inserted a cut-down TOT 3G (iMobile 3GX) pre-paid sim (which I picked up for 99 Baht) and just top up by buying cards at 7-11 and calling the iMobile number on my iPhone...it works great!

I dont think that True will give a special micro sim price for the iPad (unless you actually buy an iPad from them bundled with the True micro sim)....

The only way to get 3G now is that TRUE plan however... a little bird whispered that when TRUE launches the iPad, they will have a plan for subscribers who have both the iPhone and the iPad.

=> That's cool!

That makes sense, and likely we'll get a much better deal than in the US. Now if they only expanded their 3G coverage. I actually have no complaints in Chiang Mai, it seems like there's pretty much 100% 3G coverage in the city.

Offering iPad plans must be a dream for operators. They get to sell their 3G bandwidth, and they can be sure that the data usage will be relatively small. There are no torrent apps for the iPad, and no tethering so data use will be web, email, and some streaming.

• 3 weeks later...

New awesome app find: Penultimate. It's notebooks, like the kind you carry around, except you can do all kinds of things with them of course, such as email undo/redo, erase stuff, and create as many notebooks and pages as you want. It looks gorgeous. And writing / drawing with the finger works surprisingly well.

Anyway reading the tea leaves - or rather, shipping times in Apple online stores in countries nearby - I think the iPad will hit Thailand very soon. Shipping is down to 1-3 business days around the world, including Singapore. Once it's 24 hours everywhere, Thailand will finally get blessed with official sales too, I think.

Edited by nikster

I dont think that True will give a special micro sim price for the iPad (unless you actually buy an iPad from them bundled with the True micro sim)....

http://www.truemove.com/en/TrueMove-Micro-SIM.rails

thats great that True is now offering that POSTpaid sim plan with 5GB of 3G access (without buying an iPad from them (which they dont have to sell yet) ---I guess they finally realized the reality of the situation on the ground and figured that they might as well get a piece of the transactions...(but its not really the special unlimited 3G plan (at only B599) previously offered to iPhone buyers from True)

but I think for now I willl stick with the iMobile 3GX PREpaid sim for my iPad (if I top up with B500 I get 2GB of 3G connection).. [] ...it works great so far....

I already have a True POSTpaid sim (with unlimited 3G for B599 per month) for my iPhone....

Edited by trajan

Tried to order one in HK and ship to a friend there and the Apple stores all say sold out. Anyone know of a store in HK that has them?

During the long Queens Birthday weekend, I was in HK and asked at a number of official Apple reseller shops and they estimated end of Sept for stocks of unlocked iPhone 4s, but said that it might be a bit later than that to actually have them in hand for casual off the street buyers (as there are waiting lists etc.) ..maybe realistically by October or so?

• 2 weeks later...

The price of the ipad has dropped at MBK. Was kinda painful seeing my model for sale 8k cheaper than what I paid in April... and seeing the 64 gig 3g for about the same price I did pay.

Err what actually is the price of the iPad at MBK now?

And how much in CM where I live?

And before I buy is an improved model due out? And will the update be worth the extra money?

thanks

The price of the ipad has dropped at MBK. Was kinda painful seeing my model for sale 8k cheaper than what I paid in April... and seeing the 64 gig 3g for about the same price I did pay.

Err what actually are the prices of the iPad range at MBK now?

And before I buy is an improved model due out? And will the update be worth the extra money?

Last question: if one buys an iPad from a moody source will it still have full warantee coverage?

thanks a lot

Err what actually are the prices of the iPad range at MBK now?

Last question: if one buys an iPad from a moody source will it still have full warantee coverage?

thanks a lot

I just bought one a couple of days ago.

Paid Bt25k for the 64GB Wifi after looking around for 20 minutes.

The hardware is fairly rock solid imho, so it might be 6-12 months before you can expect improved hardware.

Rather like Laughing Man... did I overpay for my original 5 months ago? Yes. Am I bothered? No.

Thanks Abrak

I'm interested in that same model at 25kbaht....

Tell me. If I get the wi-fi version like you and I get an Edge or 3g phone I can bluetooth internet to the iPad from the phone at a pinch can't I?

Also is the warantee registration all OK?

Also anyone is the price the same in CM?

cheers

Thanks Abrak

Tell me. If I get the wi-fi version like you and I get an Edge or 3g phone I can bluetooth internet to the iPad from the phone at a pinch can't I?

cheers

This is exactly what I do, I use a cydia app called mywi to turn my iphone into a wifi modem and get internet to my ipad that way. Need to be jailbroken, but this is for 2g models, maybe new iphones can become a modem naturally? No idea...

Thanks Abrak

cheers

This is exactly what I do, I use a cydia app called mywi to turn my iphone into a wifi modem and get internet to my ipad that way. Need to be jailbroken, but this is for 2g models, maybe new iphones can become a modem naturally? No idea...

Laughingman is basically correct in that if you have an iphone (and jailbreak it) or if you have an Android you can turn your phone into a wifi hotspot and then connect to the wifi only ipad.

I didnt get the 3G because I dont have local 3G and the whole micro-sim plus activation plus renewal is all quite a hassle. It also adds considerable cost to the ipad on both a purchase basis and monthly up keep.

No local warranty on my MBK purchased ipad. Still I have been through this with iphones whereby my wifi chip got fried and it was replaced and mended within 2 days for Bt1600 in MBK.

Thanx both for great info.

I'm thinking of the wifi version also and don't use an iPhone. My phone cost 1400 baft! I also don't fancy subscribing to 3g.

How about if I get a cellphone which has bluetooth and can pick up internet can I just connect iPad with bluetooth?

Edited by sleepyjohn

I have the AIS internet sim, 99 baht for 30 hours. I rarely use it, but it is there when I need it. Not a big monthly cost for the convenience.

Actually it wasnt really the monthly cost that got me - more the hassle.

1) How do you activate the micro-sim?

2) Does the Sim cover for one month or Bt99? How do you renew the fee?

3) I guess it is basically EDGE rather than 3G?