Apple Ipad

Goshawk

magmur, I bought an "i-Mobile G3X" prepay sim card for Baht 99 at MBK just a few meters away from where I bought my iPad 3G...the shop cut it down to micro-size and inserted it into my iPad and it works great!!

(now I have to figure out how to top-up the credit on the sim card (without calling (as in a normal phone top-up situation) cause the iPad is not a phone) does anyone know?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya thats jailbroken. it took me 30 seconds to jailbreak mine, its really easy now.

So what Apps do you have via it being jailbroken.

1) Is it that you can in 'installous' and therefore get itunes Apps for free?

2) Or is it that there are very interesting Apps that are not in the itunes store? I ask because all the jailbroken Apps I have on my iphone are 'phone' related

I just found out the answer to my own question....

the i-Mobile 3GX pre paid sim card (for B99) is best for my own use of the iPad 3G....(the regular sized sim card is cut down to micro size and inserted into my iPad)

when I need to top up, I just buy a 3GX top-up card (B50, B100 or B500) at my nearest 7-11 and then call the i-Mobile service center at 02-576-5599 and give them my sim card 10 digit phone number and the 16 digit PIN number and serial number of my top-up card....B500 for 2GB of data into my iPad...

no need for me to set up another True post paid account...

That is way overpriced.

Wow yeah US price is 30k for a 64GB (including 9% VAT)... so it seems prices have gone up, demand must be up.

I notice the Apple US store has 7-10 business days lead time for all iPads, so that explains it. They're still not making enough to keep up with demand. Normal items ship in 24 hours. Prices for the iPad sleeve ($39 from Apple) are up at $80 at resellers at Amazon.com.

@magmur: Enjoy your iPad :)

I just found out the answer to my own question....

the i-Mobile 3GX pre paid sim card (for B99) is best for my own use of the iPad 3G....(the regular sized sim card is cut down to micro size and inserted into my iPad)

when I need to top up, I just buy a 3GX top-up card (B50, B100 or B500) at my nearest 7-11 and then call the i-Mobile service center at 02-576-5599 and give them my sim card 10 digit phone number and the 16 digit PIN number and serial number of my top-up card....B500 for 2GB of data into my iPad...

no need for me to set up another True post paid account...

Good price but very convoluted for topping up. I am surprised there's no option to top up from within the iPad. Surely if the hardware can handle a SIM card, and has a radio, it could also send service messages?! Perhaps this will come later...

Where does TOT 3G work now, only around BKK? Speeds?

BTW I think having mobile data with the iPad makes a huge difference. For me, I already have a CAT CDMA subscription, then I had to replace my modem so I chose a MiFi device and quite happy I have a WiFi iPad now. The Mifi allows me to share the CAT CDMA connection so I basically have no extra cost for mobile data on my iPad.

Edited by nikster

I Just cut up my True unlimited 3G Data sim card and put it into the ipad. Works perfectly and the 3G reception seems a bitter better than iPhone probably due to the larger aerial?

Also worth noting is the Truemove 399THB max charge per day promotion when roaming in most asian countries. Thats a pretty decent deal.

Does anyone know the current price today at MBK for an iPad 64GB 3G? Is it possible to bargain the price? Somehow paying 8000 bahts more than the USA its a bit overpriced...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by juanmedin

@juanmedin

Well they are around 43,500 Baht in MBK now (64GB 3G).

My company also have some stock in Rayong. I could sell for 40,000 Baht for the 64GB 3G and 36,000 for 32GB 3G.

We have also other iPad models in stock.

All prices:

iPad 64GB 3G = THB 40,000

iPad 32GB 3G = THB 36,000

iPad 32GB Wifi = THB 30,000

iPad 16GB Wifi = THB 24,500

iPad 16GB Wifi Demo Model = THB 20,500

Accessories available:

iPad Camera Connection Kit • Original iPad Case

Edited by capo

@juanmedin

Well they are around 43,500 Baht in MBK now (64GB 3G).

My company also have some stock in Rayong. I could sell for 40,000 Baht for the 64GB 3G and 36,000 for 32GB 3G.

Well that's very interesting. As i said here in Phuket the 64GB 3G is 39.500 (checked yesterday) now in MBK is 4.000 more expensive

I Just cut up my True unlimited 3G Data sim card and put it into the ipad. Works perfectly and the 3G reception seems a bitter better than iPhone probably due to the larger aerial?

Also worth noting is the Truemove 399THB max charge per day promotion when roaming in most asian countries. Thats a pretty decent deal.

I use my True 3G unlimited data sim card (B599 per month) in my iPhone for Internet browsing on the phone and on my laptops- MacAir and HP (tethered to my iPhone)

I use the I-mobile 3GX sim in my iPad (and when needed can top up with a card purchased at any 7-11). It's not convoluted at all to top up, just call a number and give them codes...

Does anyone know the current price today at MBK for an iPad 64GB 3G? Is it possible to bargain the price? Somehow paying 8000 bahts more than the USA its a bit overpriced...

Thanks in advance!

I bought my iPad 3G 64 GB at MBK last weekend for B38k. ....very happy with it....using it for work and play....

So can you just put the iPad's SIM in another phone and top up from the phone and put it back in the iPad? I know it is a micro Sim but if it is one that was cut you could put both pieces in the phone surely?

No....keep your "micro sim card" in yr iPad whether True, AIS or iMobile etc. .....if yr sim is a PRE-pay type account, buy a top up card (at any 7-11) and then call the call center for the relevant phone company (on any phone) and give them yr sim card phone number and the top up card number and they confirm your top up amount.....very simple...

I don't want to buy another POST-paid sim at the moment, but the pre-pay card is working like a dream in my iPad...

I just brought an iPad 3G back to Chiang Mai from the US (I did NOT activate the ATT Sim while in the US). Yesterday I went to Pantip Plaza in CM and bought an AIS 3G sim card that has 200 MB of data download activated on it. The guy in the shop said it would work on an iPad, but I really don't think he has a clue what one really is. I trimmed the Sim to Micro size, installed it and after a few seconds of searching came up with TH GSM E in the carrier info section at the top left corner of the screen. That would indicate that I had an Edge connection. I'm in the 3G footprint of CM, but I wasn't concerned about not having a 3G connection. I tried to connect to the internet via Safari but I got an error stating that PDP Authentication failed. I googled a bit to see if I could find a solution, tried a couple things including resetting the network settings, but so far, nothing seems to work. My iPad sees the AIS network, but I can't get access. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

• Like 1

I just brought an iPad 3G back to Chiang Mai from the US (I did NOT activate the ATT Sim while in the US). Yesterday I went to Pantip Plaza in CM and bought an AIS 3G sim card that has 200 MB of data download activated on it. The guy in the shop said it would work on an iPad, but I really don't think he has a clue what one really is. I trimmed the Sim to Micro size, installed it and after a few seconds of searching came up with TH GSM E in the carrier info section at the top left corner of the screen. That would indicate that I had an Edge connection. I'm in the 3G footprint of CM, but I wasn't concerned about not having a 3G connection. I tried to connect to the internet via Safari but I got an error stating that PDP Authentication failed. I googled a bit to see if I could find a solution, tried a couple things including resetting the network settings, but so far, nothing seems to work. My iPad sees the AIS network, but I can't get access. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

I think that the AIS 3G frequency is not supported by the iPad. True has 3G in Chiang Mai. You may also want to try 365.co.th or i-kool.net (both TOT 3G). Just buy a few cheap cards and try. Good luck

I think that the AIS 3G frequency is not supported by the iPad. True has 3G in Chiang Mai. You may also want to try 365.co.th or i-kool.net (both TOT 3G). Just buy a few cheap cards and try. Good luck

Yes, that's it. AIS 3G trial is on a 3G frequency not supported by most phones, so it would make sense the ipad 3G couldn't use it either.

Btw because this keeps coming up all ipads are sold unlocked and don't require activation or anything else. They work with any sim card.

It seems that I'll have to delay my trip until tomorrow. In the meanwhile, please let me know where to get it at 37K. (name, floor, shop) and I'll go and pick one up (maybe more).

Tha name is "Bingo mobile". 4th floor. Phond numbers: 081 8509928 / 081 4410364

I didn't buy it that day, but I'll go there again today. I wonder if I can bargain the price down. 7,000 bahts over the real price its a bit too much.

Edited by juanmedin
  • Like 1