Apple Ipad

Goshawk

<br />Thanx both for great info.<br /><br />I'm thinking of the wifi version also and don't use an iPhone. My phone cost 1400 baft! I also don't fancy subscribing to 3g.<br /><br />How about if I get a cellphone which has bluetooth and can pick up internet can I just connect iPad with bluetooth?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

No you cant connect to a phone through bluetooth to access the net. If your phone costs 1400 baht Im pretty sure it wont have the capability of turning into a wifi modem for your ipad either, you would be better off getting the 3g ipad unless you want to get a better phone, if you get a better phone make sure its one that can become a modem.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I bought my iPad a few months back I also reasoned that the wifi only model would be enough. For some reason I bought the 3G/Wifi model and have never looked back. Micro Sim from DTAC, has its moments like any internet service in TH but for the most part is pretty reliable.

When I travel, which I do fairly regularly, I can get prepaid microsims in other countries and get real 3G. Even for a couple of days on business to Singapore I no longer take my laptop.

My advice would be buy the 3G model but 64GB is unecessary given that you are synching content fairly regularly anyway. I dont think I've been over 20GB yet so could have saved a few dollars on buying the 3G/32GB version.

For those Interested:

It came up earlier in one of the iPad threads regarding the possibility of having a data plan on a second 'cloned or linked' sim using the same number as your phone (on a Thai network). It was suggested that it is not possible to have two sims on one number. This is incorrect.

With AIS (I believe DTAC do the same, I'm not sure about True) I have a Micro Sim for the iPad using the same number / connection as my phone.

The only additional cost is B20 per month for the extra sim (on a monthly contract) and it uses my existing monthly data plan which isn't great as AIS as yet only have 3G in less than a handful of areas.

• 2 weeks later...

For those Interested:

It came up earlier in one of the iPad threads regarding the possibility of having a data plan on a second 'cloned or linked' sim using the same number as your phone (on a Thai network). It was suggested that it is not possible to have two sims on one number. This is incorrect.

With AIS (I believe DTAC do the same, I'm not sure about True) I have a Micro Sim for the iPad using the same number / connection as my phone.

The only additional cost is B20 per month for the extra sim (on a monthly contract) and it uses my existing monthly data plan which isn't great as AIS as yet only have 3G in less than a handful of areas.

How do you know it's the same number? You can't even call the iPad. I think you're confusing this a little bit. AIS can give you a SIM card and add it to your account, e.g. to your monthly bill. But it's a different SIM card (with a different ID). Anyway, it's very different from trying to "clone" your SIM card yourself and expecting it to work (won't).

This seems like an incredibly good deal to me, to be honest, I am going to ask True if they have this too - that would make a 3G iPad a no-brainer for me (I only have WiFi now). Even if it's just EDGE, for 20 baht a month?? In the USA you pay $30 a month for this! Seems a little too good to be true, really...

Edit: Just confirmed, True doesn't have this deal. There's a 759 (?!) package for iPads that you can get. Or you can take your micro-SIM and swap it between the iPhone and the iPad.

Edited by nikster