* No card reader

* Non-removable battery

* Non-expandable memory

* Mono audio speakers

* Prolonged typing on glass?

* No integrated camera

* No HDMI/Displayport

* Still no Adobe Flash support

* Limited codec support (AAC, MP3, H.264)

* Proprietary iBook eBook format

* No breakdown of 'up to' 10 hours battery life

* No mains power cable included

^^^^

The whole world is excited about the new iPad and you come with critics -correct or not- within a few hours after Steve Jobs presented the iPad in San Francisco.

:)

Why not wait until you've seen the new device?

Apple unveils $499 iPad, bets on new device class

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60Q0...;feedName=usdai

&

LaoPo

Have a look at this:

http://www.apple.com/

& features:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

& Gallery

http://www.apple.com/ipad/gallery/

I will definitely buy the 3G once it arrives in April; it's so much more handy than a laptop, dragging around, traveling. What a wonderful machine :)

LaoPo

Potential Problems

* Irregular (unspecified) widescreen aspect ratio for video playback

* No integrated USB ports

* No card reader

* Non-removable battery

* Non-expandable memory

* Mono audio speakers

* No integrated camera

* No HDMI/Displayport

* Still no Adobe Flash support

* Limited codec support (AAC, MP3, H.264)

But it is very shiny, isnt it?

Wrong. Stated in the keynote by jobs that 10 hours of movie playback.

Wrong. Stated that it uses the standard ePub format already established among ebooks.

Wrong. Included in the box is the USB cable for charging and 10w Mains Adaptor. (your getting confused with the extended cable accessory)

Not really an issue as keyboard is already nearly full size laptop in landscape mode. Also Keyboard dock available for the times so much typing is necessary. And also compatible with apples wireless keyboards.

Edited by namoo

Yeah the lack of multi-tasking is bizarre! It's CPU is much more powerful than the iphone so why can't Apple implement this officially?

I have a jail-broken iphone and have got backgrounder running and so can multi-task that way without any problems (just drains the battery more is all)

All the Apple fanatics will get one immediately no doubt, but I'll probably wait till next year's model revision, which will surely have a front camera and be a huge improvement like the iphone 3Gs was

By that time there will be loads of good apps written for it too

I'm not an Apple fanatic, in fact I really hate Apple. The way they try to control their own customers drives me nuts. I'm also a heavy Windows user. But I love my iPhone, and I'll be buying one of these tablets right away when they come out. It's everything I've been waiting for all my life, it's Star Trek come to life, I couldn't be happier. We are looking at the future here, this is just a sign of things to come. Within the next 10 years I'm sure we'll see more and more devices similar to this doing incredible things.

Multitasking will be upgraded shortly after I'm sure, makes no sense for them not to enable that in a future update. Considering it's already possible on the iPhone through third-party apps.

Looks gorgeous, but there are a couple of things that put me off:

* No multi-tasking. One app running at a time.

* Need to buy proprietary USB and card reader adapters. An insulting ploy by marketing to screw a few more bucks out of the customer.

Sorry but you can not use any usb device with the unit since it doesn't have any usb inputs. you can not run anything from cd. can not install programs besides what you purchase from apple stores.

Its a device that you can simply use to check on the news , read some mail etc while you are relaxing in bed or infront of tv.

Is it worth all that money? Absolutely :) Its a device that will look great on my coffee table.

Its a device that you can simply use to check on the news , read some mail etc while you are relaxing in bed or infront of tv.

Plus the 140,000+ Apps in the store to basically do whatever you could possibly want to do. Even iworks is available for the ipad keynote, Numbers, Pages.

The whole 3G thing is slightly bizarre. Surely as the ipad has basically an iphone operating system, it makes sense to tether the ipad to the iphone. Iphone users basically dont need 3G connectivity and a data plan because they already have it. Apple/TT&T havent even allowed a user to take the sim out of their phone and use it in ipad. The micro sim is additionally irritating because you wont find one when you go abroad (which would save data roaming costs) and you end with huge roaming fees.

Luckily, I would guess, that an existing App, MyWi, (only available on jailbroken phones already solves all these problems. It turns your iphone into a wifi hot spot and allows one (or several) computers to share your cellular data connection. In theory that takes away the need for ipad 3G, and saves you US$30 a month. That is US$500 (first year) for something their iphone customers already have.

Apple says it is launching a US$499 device when the reality is that it really costs 499 + 200 (64mb) + 490 = US$1289. This work around should also solve the lack of micro sims in Thailand and let you put standard local sims in your phone when you go abroad.

Edited by Abrak

As a multiple computer user using windows 7, mac os x, different distros of linux, i'm sorry to say the ipad lacks to many features and if you want those features be prepared to pay extra for them. Everyone should really though keep this in mind this is basically a giant iphone. It isn't really running a full blown operating system. maybe ipad version 2 or 3 i might look into buying but a netbook running linux or windows 7 starter works way better than this. and at least with a netbook you have a full blown os, able to have usb ports, have a external dvd drive if you need, keyboard to type on, etc.I love my iphone but ipad isn't for me.

As a multiple computer user using windows 7, mac os x, different distros of linux, i'm sorry to say the ipad lacks to many features and if you want those features be prepared to pay extra for them. Everyone should really though keep this in mind this is basically a giant iphone. It isn't really running a full blown operating system. maybe ipad version 2 or 3 i might look into buying but a netbook running linux or windows 7 starter works way better than this. and at least with a netbook you have a full blown os, able to have usb ports, have a external dvd drive if you need, keyboard to type on, etc.I love my iphone but ipad isn't for me.

I think people are confusing what the ipad is trying to be. It is not meant to be a replacement for either a laptop,desktop or netbook and it is not meant to be a replacement for the iphone.

The product is simply a lightweight unit that you can have for example sitting around on the coffee table, grab easily to watch a movie or look something up on the net instantly. Long battery life for those cramped flights where you want to perhaps read your book, browse the net (if avail on your flight), watch your fave shows, movie in a slim lightweight package. View your photo collection easily and share with friends easily sitting around the room.

I know I would much rather grab for the iPad on a flight or lying on the sofa or in bed than i would for the laptop or iphone. iphone is great for those unscheduled look up on the net, quick read of emails but the screen ain't that practical for it.

I just think people are comparing netbooks and laptops to the ipad - Which is completely wrong it never will and never tries to be a replacement.

Edited by namoo

Yeah the lack of multi-tasking is bizarre! It's CPU is much more powerful than the iphone so why can't Apple implement this officially?

Of course the iPad has multi-tasking. It's running OS X after all.

Apple does not support 3rd party apps to run in the background - if you close an app, you can be sure it's closed, and there is no app switcher user interface. But that's it.

If you keep in mind that apps store their state on shutdown, and restore the state on startup, and the fact that both shutdown and startup are instant, you have something pretty much as good as running them in parallel. Except without the battery drain. Switching between apps is going to feel just as if they'd all be running.

Music runs in the background, as do probably 100s of OS tasks, email checking, and so on and so forth. So yes folks it does multi-task. Apparently Apple thinks that most people only do one thing at a time, and I have to say for the most part they're correct. Listen to music and post on this forum - yes you can do that. Get notified of new emails - sure. The iPhone runs the same OS and also runs SMS, phone, clock, timers, alarms, calendar etc, and the iPad will do all that too except for the phone.

I think this is a terrific device, uses for which are waiting to be invented. All sorts of people and all sorts of businesses could use this - the endless flexibility and the amazing SDK make it easy.

It's not yet a full computer replacement, but it could grow into one some day. The only problem I see with it is the Apple App store - there must be one or more separate, 3rd party app stores that can legally sell apps not approved by Apple. I don't see them doing that any time soon. Otherwise I can only do with this tablet what Apple wants me to. I guess that's no different than a PlayStation 3 or a Wii - but while the locked down model is acceptable for games and maybe even for the iPhone, on a more generic computing device it's extremely limiting. Bit torrent client? Don't think so...

I just think people are comparing netbooks and laptops to the ipad - Which is completely wrong it never will and never tries to be a replacement.

Potential is there though. If you have Email, Web, Music, Video, e-Books and a few productivity apps like iWork, all on the device, and in the future surely photoshop, and other editors - well then it covers pretty everything a lot of people do with their computers. Add facebook to that, the iPhone app is way better than the browser version.

Then consider that there's no hassle with Windows, and no crappy "installers" and no need to call the friendly geek next door when everything starts to fall apart and throws strange error messages at you. OS X is a bit better than Windows in this regard - but it does not make the computer into an actual consumer device by any stretch of the imagination. It's still unix - it will throw fits, you'll need to restart, and you'll need to re-install this or that - all boring, strange tasks.

Why are people putting up with this? Because of the value they get out of their computers. But if the iPad can deliver all this value without the hassles, then it's a very interesting proposition.

iPad needs a webcam though that's for sure. And a USB port. Lack of these show that Apple is taking it easy and not trying to instantly take over the world. They're taking a "let's see where this takes us" approach. What started out as a small white box that played mp3s has turned into a smartphone that's years ahead of the competition and this has now turned into a new class of device.

Of course the iPad has multi-tasking. It's running OS X after all.

Apple does not support 3rd party apps to run in the background - if you close an app, you can be sure it's closed, and there is no app switcher user interface. But that's it.

If you keep in mind that apps store their state on shutdown, and restore the state on startup, and the fact that both shutdown and startup are instant, you have something pretty much as good as running them in parallel. Except without the battery drain. Switching between apps is going to feel just as if they'd all be running.

Music runs in the background, as do probably 100s of OS tasks, email checking, and so on and so forth. So yes folks it does multi-task. Apparently Apple thinks that most people only do one thing at a time, and I have to say for the most part they're correct. Listen to music and post on this forum - yes you can do that. Get notified of new emails - sure. The iPhone runs the same OS and also runs SMS, phone, clock, timers, alarms, calendar etc, and the iPad will do all that too except for the phone.

I think this is a terrific device, uses for which are waiting to be invented. All sorts of people and all sorts of businesses could use this - the endless flexibility and the amazing SDK make it easy.

It's not yet a full computer replacement, but it could grow into one some day. The only problem I see with it is the Apple App store - there must be one or more separate, 3rd party app stores that can legally sell apps not approved by Apple. I don't see them doing that any time soon. Otherwise I can only do with this tablet what Apple wants me to. I guess that's no different than a PlayStation 3 or a Wii - but while the locked down model is acceptable for games and maybe even for the iPhone, on a more generic computing device it's extremely limiting. Bit torrent client? Don't think so...

Can you explain to me how it does the multitask again???? If i open a website "tv forexample" and suddenly i needed to use the calculator. that means i loose the site because ipad exits the web browser and reopens it. As far as i know thats not multi tasking, its maybe fast shutting and restarting a program but surely not multitasking.

Also Some one else had a good solution on the sharing internet through wifi enabled phone which i find very good idea but still we will be missing the assisted gps "only comes with the wifi+3g version"

As i said before, i will be 100 percent buying this product either directly from usa or here in thailand. Not because its great but because its different and can do simple tasks while i am relaxing in my bed "sure i can do it with my mac air but this is more stylish :)"

They're taking a "let's see where this takes us" approach....and this has now turned into a new class of device.

Hardly. I bought Apple's original tablet computer, the Newton, in 1997.

Unfortunately, quickly thereafter, Apple withdrew 100% of its customer support and discontinued the product because they were afraid it would interfere with their MacIntosh sales. I couldn't even get a battery replacement when mine gave out. Left me pretty jaded about Apple products for nearly 10 years until I broke down and got an iPod which, of course, I'm nuts about.

Let's hope their "let's see where this takes us" approach doesn't leave thousands holding the bag. Again.