Apple Ipad

Goshawk

I am not so worried about the screen getting scratched more so the back of it when I place it on a desk etc.

In fact all the apple stores in the US anyway have removed the screen protectors for their devices as they are now saying they are unnecessary and the screens are pretty scratch resistant.

Edited by negreanu

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E

As stated earlier by another poster i do not think you have a defective unit. It's down to your screen brightness selection. Remember this is a IPS panel they consume a lot of power more than a TFT panel (2 transistors per pixel instead

Actually the battery life is pretty amazing considering the IPS screen. Not much else uses much power with solid state memory and Apple's proprietary low power consumption processor. The wifi chip of course but 3G uses more.

I haven't had any wifi issues but I wonder if the aluminum surround acts as a Faraday cage. I assumes that is why the iPhones moved to plastic backs.

No USB? No printer port? Is that true? If, OMFG Apple let me down AGAIN

em..Some people just don't get what the iPad device is targeted at. It's a mobile device who wants to be carrying round a printer and all sorts of usb gadgets when you go out or indeed relaxing on the sofa or in bed.

Printer Port?? You serious? you want USB ports and what a Parallel printer port (People still use these) on a less than 1inch thick machine. :)

Edited by negreanu

Ok, sorry about printer port, my mistake, but still no USB port, 32gb not much when I want to use it as business pad, I guess I have to hold one to my notebook I can put the screen in any pos. I want and hold 320gb and have 3 USB ports, and last 8 hours and have good wifi and, na better stop before you guys start crying. Forgot this one cost 18.000 :-)

send from my iPhone btw

Hehe start crying? I'm In iPad heaven man, I can't imagine using anything else. You will talk that way until you get a hold of one and use it, probably just like your iPhone. iPad is up to 64g, still not huge but better than 32, USB ports for what? You can move the screen, that's nice.... I'm lying on my side in bed completely comfortable while browsing the web. Lasts 8 hours? Same here. Wifi is fine. iPad is 16,000 if you buy it officially, more for bigger models.

Me too just woke up grabbed the iPad and read the latest headlines in bed. Oh and btw I just printed a 20page document on my laser printer via wifi from the iPad last night.

Secondly, I just accessed my Drobo NAS from iPad which has (8tb storage as opposed to your required 320gb) and thirdly I needed to use one of my iMacs so connected remotely via the iPad via VNC RDP and was using the iMac as if I was sat in front of it via the iPad.

And I guess finally just uploaded a whole lot of files to my unlimited online storage which can be expanded beyond 320gb and accessed directly from the wifi anywhere there is wifi or Cellular 3G or Edge connection which is pretty much everywhere in the world.

I am not saying the ipad is perfect far from it, however it is an incredible piece of technology that will just get better and better as the developers get used to it and it's capabilities. Once you have used it and by that I don't just mean played with it for 10mins in the store, I mean used it for a few hour installed the apps that are beneficial for you. You begin to truly understand how big a game changer this will become.

Going to Hong Kong this week for BUSINESS and as an experiment for myself I am not taking a laptop or net book simply the iPad and my jail broken iPhone.....just to prove to myself that there is nothing more I need on a trip, should be interesting.

Edited by negreanu

E
As stated earlier by another poster i do not think you have a defective unit. It's down to your screen brightness selection. Remember this is a IPS panel they consume a lot of power more than a TFT panel (2 transistors per pixel instead

Actually the battery life is pretty amazing considering the IPS screen. Not much else uses much power with solid state memory and Apple's proprietary low power consumption processor. The wifi chip of course but 3G uses more.

I haven't had any wifi issues but I wonder if the aluminum surround acts as a Faraday cage. I assumes that is why the iPhones moved to plastic backs.

It's a little weird that I know this (why do I know this??) but actually the original iPhones had brushed steel backs. Blocks signals more effectively than aluminum. Alu is pretty OK though I do notice that the antenna in my MacBook Pro is behind a plastic housing (the only plastic part on a MacBook Pro, the black plastic screen hinge).

The big glass front on the iPad should give it decent WiFi reception.

Totally unrelated, mine has just started on its journey around the world from Shenzhen. Exciting!!!

iPad Antenna is behind the plastic Apple logo on the back in the centre. Strange place to put it in my opinion as chances are when you have it on a desk or on your knees or lying in bed then that is the exact part that will be covered.

Still getting slight "cycling" of the wifi signal strength from 1bar-3bar any distance greater than about 30ft. Will have a play with Router channel choice this afternoon - have the following two possible solutions that some users have had success with:

1. Change Router to G or B only (Don't want to do this as lose the speed of N)

2. Change the Router channel - most iPad users seem to agree they get better results from using channel 11.

Hypothetically speaking:

If someone was to bring back two or three ipads from the Europe, would they be easy or difficult to sell in Thailand?

Well since you won't be able to get hold of any in europe until end of May - Probably not as the market will be saturated by then and the mark up at MBK reduced significantly.

However if you were to bring some in from the US today - you could probably make a few $$$$$ on thaivisa classifieds by undercutting MBK.

Just got a friend to pick me up a 16GB in MBK; 23.5k. He got a 32GB for 28.5k. I collect it tomorrow, can't wait!

Enjoy it man. It really is a game changer as you will see tomorrow. Don't forget to top up on your US Itunes gift cards for all the excellent apps. (Also get's the chicks in starbucks - 3 conversations about it today from Jap and high-so thai types - however they only wanted to touch the ipad despite by best efforts) :)

Edited by negreanu

Thanks. I put $100 into my US iTunes account in March, in anticipation of tomorrow! Pondered the 32GB, but the 16GB was a good price; and "need more space" will be a good excuse to upgrade to version 2 when it is eventually released!

Edited by hughden

All the reviews were positive and so I had high hopes. But...

It has massively exceeded my expectations. You have to sit and play with it for an hour or so to appreciate just how good it is. Everything about the design is focused on making the machine disappear and you just have the web, or a film, or your photos, or whatever; sitting in your hands. Fast, light, beautiful screen and some great apps. And it's only been on sale for two weeks. Can't imagine how good it is going to be in six months.

In summary: Love it.

All the reviews were positive and so I had high hopes. But...

It has massively exceeded my expectations. You have to sit and play with it for an hour or so to appreciate just how good it is. Everything about the design is focused on making the machine disappear and you just have the web, or a film, or your photos, or whatever; sitting in your hands. Fast, light, beautiful screen and some great apps. And it's only been on sale for two weeks. Can't imagine how good it is going to be in six months.

In summary: Love it.

I agree with you Hughden....

I wrote a review about it a week ago after a days use hat was mostly complimentary but after a weeks use mostly abroad if anything it has exceeded my initial expectations...

Here is the original review if anyone cares to look...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Apple-Ipad-t...23#entry3490923

I would probably adjust that by at least one point....

I do think it is now about the best web surfing experience. The lack of tabs is made up pretty quickly when you get used to switching tabs. The whole experience is so much better because of the instant off/on aspect of the operating system.

I also notice that say you tube works much better on the ipad than on a pc particularly in terms of speed and lack of stuttering.

The keyboard really is pretty good - I very much doubt I will bother with an external one.

I still think...

(1) That the speakers are pretty feeble (compared to pretty good reviews.)

(2) You should really go for the 64GB model or you will get through capacity pretty quick.

iPad Antenna is behind the plastic Apple logo on the back in the centre. Strange place to put it in my opinion as chances are when you have it on a desk or on your knees or lying in bed then that is the exact part that will be covered.

Actually I believe the dynamics of a Faraday cage are slightly more complicated than either you or Nikster have described them. Faraday's dynamics work in reverse so that the because you are sending signals to the front of the screen, it doesnt work well as a conductor to receiving signals. The placement of the wifi chip on the plastic logo on the plastic Apple back of the Ipad is quite deliberate because the size of the hole that a signal can be received by within a Faraday cage is dependent on the frequency of the signal relative to the size in the gap of the cage.

The fact that your Ipad is sitting on a desk or whatever would make no virtually difference at all unless it was metal.

That little brown plastic Apple is a very key design.The size of the Faraday hole is not only dependent on the size of the Faraday cage as well as the frequency and strength of the signal, you can actually improve the signal strength by building a Faraday cage around a hole and thus tunnel the signal into the hole.

Anyway that is how I vaguely remember things and it is pretty clear that Apple placed their wifi chip where it is 'first' rather than afterwards.