Want To Get Thai Id Card And Birth Certificate

Hi All,

So I'm going to go back to BKK in Feb for vacation and to try become an officially documented Thai citizen. Here's my background:

* Born in Bangkok July 1970, but moved to the USA when I ws a couple months old

* Mother was a Thai national, father was a farang in the US military

* Born at 5th Field Army hospital in Kaed Prakanong or Kaed Wattana (I've forgotten which) This hospital has been closed for many years now.

* Father obtained Consular Report of Birth Abroad FS-240 documenting that I am a US citizen born to a Thai National mother and US Citizen father (I have this translated to Thai, and stamped by the MFA).

* Mother doesn't think a Thai Birth Certificate was ever filed. My father did all of the paperwork. He passed away many years ago, so we don't know for sure. We will check at the correct amphur to verify it's existence.

* Mother's name is still in my grandmother's Tabien baan even though she hasn't resided in BKK for nearly 40 years.

* Her ID card has been lost for many years. She will obtain a replacement this time.

* While mom's getting her replacement, we intend to try to get my first ID card too.

We'll only be there 3 weeks. Am I crazy to think this should be an easy thing to accomplish? We've made a few inquries by phone, and they tell me that I'm not Thai, and won't be able to get my ID card. The Thai Nationality Act says that I am. If they give me any problems, we'll point this out to them, and ask to speak with a supervisor. I intend to retire there someday (as my whole family lives there) and it would be nice to take care of this now while my mom's still around to help me.

If someone's got some advice, or can confirm that I'm correct, I'd sure like to hear about it. I'd especially like to hear what we can do if we run into resistance. I'm starting to get nervous again.

Thank You

Can not help but do know the 5th Field Hospital was located on Sukhumvite Road in Bangkok (I believe where Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital is now located). It closed on the departure of US troops in 1975.

Have you contacted Thai Consulate? Believe your first step will have to take place there if there is no Thai Birth Certificate.

Can not help but do know the 5th Field Hospital was located on Sukhumvite Road in Bangkok (I believe where Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital is now located). It closed on the departure of US troops in 1975.

Have you contacted Thai Consulate? Believe your first step will have to take place there if there is no Thai Birth Certificate.

Didn't know "Sukumvit Hospital" was now part of the Samitivej group, and yes, it is on the site of the old U.S. Army 5th Field Hospital between Sois 63 & 65 Sukumvit.

Good idea to contact the Thai Consulate, just ask about getting a Thai passport since your mother is Thai.

Royal Thai Consulate General

611 N. Larchmont Boulevard, Suite 1101

Los Angeles, California 90004

Tel. (323) 962-9574

A Q tho, did the 5th FH also issue a birth certificate for you? Perhaps happily in Thai, or if not, English. This in addition to the U.S. Embassy's certificate. That might work. In any case, worth a phone call.

Mac

• Like 1

I've contacted the Thai consulate in LA and Chicago. Both say that we must go to the Amphur where I was born. They say they could help me if I was born in the USA. I doubt we'll find a birth certificate for me, but I'm hoping. If we don't find a certifcate, would it still be possible to get the ID though? It seems with that, I'd be an official documented citizen.

You are Thai based on the nationality of your mother, but need a Thai birth certificate first to proof that you are Thai. Your birth should have been registered at the district office of where you were born. That should be your first inquiry. if you were not registered there, you will need to register your birth there first and ask how to go about that in your case.

Take as many details about your father with you, like ID and marriage certificate etc. You might need it.

Edit: seems you posted while I was writing.

Without a Thai birth certificate you will NOT get a Thai ID or passport. The Thai birth certificate is your official registration as a Thai national.

Didn't know "Sukumvit Hospital" was now part of the Samitivej group, and yes, it is on the site of the old U.S. Army 5th Field Hospital between Sois 63 & 65 Sukumvit.

Good idea to contact the Thai Consulate, just ask about getting a Thai passport since your mother is Thai.

Tel. (323) 962-9574

A Q tho, did the 5th FH also issue a birth certificate for you? Perhaps happily in Thai, or if not, English. This in addition to the U.S. Embassy's certificate. That might work. In any case, worth a phone call.

Mac

5th Field gave my parents a CRBA FS-240. post-82369-1264641423_thumb.jpg I'm a little confused about it, because the document mentions that a birth certificate was issued. I assumed this was a US birth certificate though.

That seems indeed to be the US birth certificate. It is helpful, as it confirms your birth etc. But you will need to get a Thai birth certificate first.

Try to do a search, I remember we had a case very similar to yours while ago. You might find some useful information in that thread.

Tel. (323) 962-9574

Mac

5th Field gave my parents a CRBA FS-240. post-82369-1264641423_thumb.jpg I'm a little confused about it, because the document mentions that a birth certificate was issued. I assumed this was a US birth certificate though.

Re the birth certificate, it was probably one issued by the 5th FH, and probably (but not necessarily) in English. Is that document among your paperwork? If so, that might work at the Thai amphur/district office. And since you were born at the 5th FH, you might have to go to that local amphur, which is either Wattana District or Prakanong. Ah, looks like Wattana District: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khet_Watthana

You should also check your grandmother's tambien ban to see if you might just be listed on it.

Mac

Tel. (323) 962-9574

Mac

Re the birth certificate, it was probably one issued by the 5th FH, and probably (but not necessarily) in English. Is that document among your paperwork? If so, that might work at the Thai amphur/district office. And since you were born at the 5th FH, you might have to go to that local amphur, which is either Wattana District or Prakanong. Ah, looks like Wattana District: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khet_Watthana

You should also check your grandmother's tambien ban to see if you might just be listed on it.

Mac

I've got a copy of my grandmother's Tabien Baan. It lists my mom, but doesn't list me. I only lived there about a month before my father was transferred back to the states.

The things that I'll be arming myself with are:

* Consular Report of Birth Abroad w/ translation

* US Birth Certificate (certified copy) w/ translation

* Tabien Baan that my mother is registered on

* Mother's ID card

* Parents marraige certificate from Amphur Prakanong

* Mother's previous Thai passport

* My mother and my Uncle

From reading the suggestions, it looks like a wise move to revise my strategy. I'll be concentrating my efforts on getting the birth certificate first. It seems like a much harder, if not impossible, task to get the ID first without the birth certificate. Is it actually possible to get a birth certificate nearly 40 years after a birth?

From reading the suggestions, it looks like a wise move to revise my strategy. I'll be concentrating my efforts on getting the birth certificate first. It seems like a much harder, if not impossible, task to get the ID first without the birth certificate. Is it actually possible to get a birth certificate nearly 40 years after a birth?

Should be. Another person has just done it here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Birth-C...on-t288852.html

You should also pull up older versions of the Thai Nationality Act which applied at that time. Later versions of the act imply that you need to have at least one Thai parent to gain Thai nationality, however in actual fact any person born on Thai soil prior to 1971 automatically aquired Thai citizenship regardless of their parents nationality. As such, your claim to Thai citizenship will be based on being born on Thai soil, rather than having a Thai parent.

The thread that I wrote above also addresses this.

I suspect you'll do OK with Wattana District office. With Samitivej hosiptal located within their area, they will be probably be used to seeing issues such as yours.

Good luck.

Tel. (323) 962-9574

Mac

Mac

Regarding the birth certificate, I've read that a US birth certificate is not issued for US citizens born abroad. It can only be issued by the local jurisdiction (in my case Khet Wattana) Is that true?