Sourcing Herbal Plants

It depends on what you want to grow, many plants you would grow in the cooler climates don't neccesarily do well here... it's too hot here on the island especially at night...

Many plants require cooler night temperatures... at least that is what I have figured out, by my various experimentations here. I've tried many things too!

Perhaps up some of the "hills" in the middle of the island they may be OK???

Some of the nurseries here do bring in plants (usually flowers though) from Chaing Mai area, where it gets much cooler at night... But I have learned that these are plants to avoid here, they all seem to fizzle out very quickly! :)

The Thai's here, certainly seem to know their herbal plants, (at least my Thai neighbours, do) but they are different than some we are used to growing... in the more temperate climates...

One thing I noticed my Thai neighbours doing was sowing seed at the beginning of what was supposed to be our rainy season, last October / November... when the cooler nights do start here... Celantro, mustard, dill & what they call watercress here. All available from seed here......All did well, but now starting to fizzle!

One other point I'll make, some of the stores display their seed in full sun... this is not good! Occasionally Tesco has a bit of a seed display in the garden hard ware area.... but again some don't seem to do well here!

Good Luck!

thanks reply,i take your point about herbs being difficult to grow here unless they are local herbs.I tried growing some celery,basil,even chili without success and yet i transplanted some mint and its doing ok.I just wondered if there was a shop anywhere that even sold local herbs that were kind of well under way that i could buy and transplant?

"thanks reply,i take your point about herbs being difficult to grow here unless they are local herbs.I tried growing some celery,basil,even chili without success and yet i transplanted some mint and its doing ok.I just wondered if there was a shop anywhere that even sold local herbs that were kind of well under way that i could buy and transplant?"

Well to add, to your question. In my look around most of the nurseries, on Samui I have never seen. Perhaps some of the morning markets may sell them?

I did do (Italian) Basil, from seed & it lasted from April through to almost October... just keep the flowers pinched off! Chillies I had about 50% success rate with. I have tried tomatoes three times and seem to be a total waste of time here...

While the seeds are germinating, it's a good idea to set up a shade area... by using the black or green shade cloth (Black is 75% shade & green is 50%) Many shops carry it, or Tesco.

Once the plants are germinated & more than two sets of leaves, gradually expose to full sun, starting with morning sun & increase over a week or two... prevent from drying out will germinating also. (being shaded helps prevents burning too).

The other problem you'll find many of these plants is that they are all prone to insect damage, both above & below the ground... The Thai's seem to spray everything, with what I think is Cygon... with no regard to days to harvest :) I tried using a Neem Tree oil (Thai name is something like "Siddow) & lemon grass, ( blended together) with out much success...

The nurseries do sell this Neem Oil too, in small bottles, I think it's got BS2 on the label, but I am not sure if pure or a concoction of chemicals too.

I think I will stick to flowers & shrubs, although my corn did well!

At present I am successfully growing a range of veggies and herbs organically. especially the ones that are difficult or imposible to buy in Thailand or are of inferior quality. (Veges: beetroot, mangel wurzel, kohl rabi, large tomatoes, lettuce, dwarf beans, (decent- not the scrawny Thai type) celery, capsicum, potatoes, large red (salad) onions, and two varieties of cucumber. Herbs: 4 varieties of basil, rosemary, various chillies, mint, garlic chives.) I am about to start experimenting with some others that are claimed to be "ungrowable" here - sage, thyme and oregano - but they also say many of the above veges don't grow here either.

Now I do admit I have an advantage - I live near Fang in the far North and yes, we do have cool nights - I agree with earlier comments on this.

I DON'T buy seedlings even if they are available. They have never done well - my theory is that they are genetically accustomed to Thai growing methods. I obtain organic heritage seeds by internet purchase from the US (http://rareseeds.com/) or I have my son buy them in Australia and he posts them over.

An invaluable resource for me and I think even more for you is the book "Tropical Food Gardens: A guide to growing fruit, herbs and vegetables in tropical and sub-tropical climates". The author, Naomi Norrington is a well recognised (in Oz.) "hands-on" tropical gardener who lives in Darwin - VERY similar climatically to what you have. Easily obtainable by mail order from Australia or from amazon.com.

The other thing I have done is to carefully consider the problems a particular herb or vege will have and do my best to compensate for these both in variety grown and growing methods. Examples are: tomatoes - they will tell you that the large varieties cannot be grown here because they "boil internally" in the heat. I grow them (eg. grosse lisse variety) along with capsicum in 50-70% shade (which most "experts will tell you is a "no no". Similarly, lettuces or in fact any greens). Another trick is to grow them under a roof of clear plastic. This resuces the teat, filters out the harmful rays and allows you to control the watering.

Herbs: Many of these are Mediterranean in origin. So they like sandy soil, dry air and hate over-watering. The answer? Grow them in pots using a rich and sandy mix. If heat is a problem, grow them under shadecloth. Why in pots? So you can move them under shelter during the rainy season - even better if you can find a sheltered spot which gets a breeze (to dissipate humidity.)

I have however, neglected to tell you the two MOST important things - compost, compost, compost (mixed into the soil) and lots of mulch on top in the dry season to maintain moisture and to insulate the soil from the heat.