German Tourist Stabbed To Death In Phuket

george

A sad read. It made me decide from now on only to use the horn to warn people, and never anymore to express my irritation about the road behaviour of others. It is a lost battle anyway, trying to re-educate people by honking at them.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai people honk their horns and show signs every day. Expecting us to not adopt it is nonsense.

And lessons learned: If you have a visual or distant verbal dispute with low lifes, never ever stop your car to 'talk it out'. They are not interested in talking, that requires thinking. If you are worried they will follow you home, drive into the nearest police stations parking area in plain view of the officers no doubt resting outside.

This is absolutely the best advice.

Do not stop unless you have to (ie: red light, but even then be prepared to run a red light to protect yourself).

Never, ever get out of your car especially, especially if there is more than one of them.

And whatever you do don't blo*dy drive home if you can see they are following you, I mean that's just dumb. If they know where you live your life now will be hel_l or you will be dead at a time of their choosing on your front doorstep. And of course consider your family.

Repeat, never drive directly home, or walk home for that matter, if you feel you are being followed. Oh yes, and they will follow you. And, they will get you back given the chance.

Thai people honk their horns and show signs every day. Expecting us to not adopt it is nonsense.

And lessons learned: If you have a visual or distant verbal dispute with low lifes, never ever stop your car to 'talk it out'. They are not interested in talking, that requires thinking. If you are worried they will follow you home, drive into the nearest police stations parking area in plain view of the officers no doubt resting outside.

This is absolutely the best advice.

Do not stop unless you have to (ie: red light, but even then be prepared to run a red light to protect yourself).

Never, ever get out of your car especially, especially if there is more than one of them.

And whatever you do don't blo*dy drive home if you can see they are following you, I mean that's just dumb. If they know where you live your life now will be hel_l or you will be dead at a time of their choosing on your front doorstep. And of course consider your family.

Repeat, never drive directly home, or walk home for that matter, if you feel you are being followed. Oh yes, and they will follow you. And, they will get you back given the chance.

Was chased in Chiangmai after overtaking someone on the Saraphi road. Hi-tailed it straight to the cop shop on the klong. Very worrying experience and trying to navigate left hand turns all the way so as to not have to stop was difficult.

In all reality, I don't know why they put horns on cars in Thailand, and one of the best bits of advice I was every taught is that they should only be used to warn someone where you are. In Thailand they are used more to point out someone's mistakes and people just can't handle it.

I would hope that a politician gets hold of this story and they change the law to cover road rage in some specific way. Then again, where are we living, I must have forgotten.

None of us knows what really happened. Maybe the deceased was aggressive. I don't know. What I do know is that an elderly man was stabbed by a man 1/2 his age and a concealed weapon was used. What I also know is that the accused makes his living from using sea eagles most likely taken from a nest while hatchlings. The use of such birds is an illegal activity if I read the wildlife regulations correctly. What I also know is that there were 3 males on a motorbike, which is illegal They can do the street theatrics all they want, but the circumstances did not justify stabbing someone.

UPDATE

German stabbed to death in Phuket

RAWAI, PHUKET: A German expat was stabbed to death last night outside a 7-Eleven shop on a busy road in Rawai.

The dead man has been identified as 66-year-old Eugen Wolf-Dieter, a resident of Ban Saiyuan in Rawai.

Police are on the hunt for three teenage suspects who beat and stabbed Mr Dieter before fleeing on a motorbike.

From their initial investigations, police said Mr Dieter was driving his Toyota Vigo pick-up south along Chao Fa Road West.

As he reached Chalong Circle, a pink Yamaha Fino driving against the flow of traffic suddenly cut across his path and drove onto the Chalong Pier road, just missing Mr Dieter’s truck, witnesses said.

Witnesses said Mr Dieter got angry, shouted at the boys and then gave them the middle finger.

Chalong Police Duty Officer Anukul Nuket received the report of the stabbing at 7:40pm.

“The riders got angry, so they had an argument with the German and followed him until he stopped the truck at the scene,” he said.

A fight ensued during which the German was stabbed in his chest and stomach, he said.

The three suspects fled on their bike south toward Rawai Beach.

By the time police arrived, rescue workers from Phuket Rumjai Kupai Foundation had already rushed Mr Wolf-Dieter to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town, but he died en route.

As of 11am today, Chalong Police were still searching for the assailants.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

One guy did the same with my wife.

She wanted to ram his car with her Volvo......seems southern people don't like that

low lifes, they were at fault he yells at them and then they stab him.... Lesson to others, next time just run them over.

As cruel as this statement sounds, it might be the best advise.

RIP.

And pay hundreds of thousands of baht as a result... great advise, lol.

No, you see these guys for what they are and avoid confrontation. isn't that one of the main rules for living in Thailand, to avoid confrontation?

low lifes, they were at fault he yells at them and then they stab him.... Lesson to others, next time just run them over.

RIP.

No, you see these guys for what they are and avoid confrontation. isn't that one of the main rules for living in Thailand, to avoid confrontation?

If that's the case, why are so many people that are supposed to be Jai yen yen confrotational? Rhetorical question I guess.

RIP.

If that's the case, why are so many people that are supposed to be Jai yen yen confrotational? Rhetorical question I guess.

Considering that Jai Yen Yen and Graeng Jai are supposed to be extremely important in Thailand, I take great pleasure in asking Thai people, why do these characteristics seems to be completely lacking here.

'moetownblues'

very sad and tragic. Thailand is a very safe place the safest in the world. Farangs have to learn to show total respect to thais and the thai way of life then these incidents will be avoided.

Please excuse my laughter at your silly comment , Thailand has been listed as the third most dangerous tourism place and the MOST DANGEROUS place to vist for Limeys and Ozies , please get your 'Ducks in a row ' . You personaly may have become brainwashed , but many of us still use common sense on a daily basis , a rare attribute these days .

Meanwhile it's business as usual for the 2 p1ssed off looking eagles at the Viewpoint. Took this pic this afternoon...as soon as I had the girl comes over to me and asks for 100baht! So I said to her "If I go to the Big Buddha and take a picture of it do I have to pay?"..."No" she said. "So I don't have to pay for a picture of the eagles" I told her.

Seems it's a numbers game and everyone who takes a picture they ask for 100baht and no doubt some people are stupid enough to pay it. I guess revenue for the next few days will go towards paying bail for her "brother".

SAFE and FRIENDLY eagles...unlike their owner.

S6301828.jpg

Edited by phuketrex

I always adopt the same attitude around Thai motorcyclists as I do in a childs playground....keep an eye out and act passively not aggressively, be ready to avoid collisions. I wouldnt give them the finger and abuse them though...

Phuket expat's killer: I acted alone

PHUKET: -- A 32-year-old man has confessed to the murder of German expat Wolf Kesselheim, telling police he acted alone and in self-defense.

The way I interpret "I acted alone" is: "Of course my two cousins helped me to kill this man because we Thais are cowards and would never fight alone - but there's no point in dragging them down with me as well. And besides, it makes it easier for me to maintain that I was acting in self defense if I say I acted alone. (After all, it's hard to claim self defense when it's three fit young men against one elderly man.) Anyway, killing a farang is not such a big deal in Thailand, so I should be able to get out of jail in a few months when nobody's looking. Of course I'll have to find another job as I would now be known as the 'farang-murdering sea eagle guy', which might not be good for business."

By the way, shouldn't the closed circuit camera that filmed the incident (you know, the one that allowed the police to apprehend the suspect) show whether the two younger cousins were in fact involved? I smell a cover-up.

Meanwhile it's business as usual for the 2 p1ssed off looking eagles at the Viewpoint. Took this pic this afternoon...as soon as I had the girl comes over to me and asks for 100baht! So I said to her "If I go to the Big Buddha and take a picture of it do I have to pay?"..."No" she said. "So I don't have to pay for a picture of the eagles" I told her.

Seems it's a numbers game and everyone who takes a picture they ask for 100baht and no doubt some people are stupid enough to pay it. I guess revenue for the next few days will go towards paying bail for her "brother".

SAFE and FRIENDLY eagles...unlike their owner.

S6301828.jpg

I think that sign behind the birds says "100 baht with personal camera."

very sad and tragic. Thailand is a very safe place the safest in the world. Farangs have to learn to show total respect to thais and the thai way of life then these incidents will be avoided.

Respect should work both ways. :)

What I also know is that the accused makes his living from using sea eagles most likely taken from a nest while hatchlings. The use of such birds is an illegal activity if I read the wildlife regulations correctly.

Actually having complained about the animal photo ops guys multiple times I was told the eagles guy gained some kind of license or permit to own and use them.

No other country has the amount of tourists murdered, raped, robbed,scammed etc per capita as Thailand.

Have you got any facts or links to back this up ? (im not dissagreeing , just looking for facts)

Search Thailand most dangerous BBC report. Its been linked in this thread also.

No more quoting of how dangerous Thailand is as a tourist destination without link to the source. This also includes sarcastic/ironic posts as to how safe it is here. Friends and relatives of the victim are reading here and do probably not share your sense of humour at the moment.

any further offenders gonna play hardball with me.

No more quoting of how dangerous Thailand is as a tourist destination without link to the source. This also includes sarcastic/ironic posts as to how safe it is here. Friends and relatives of the victim are reading here and do probably not share your sense of humour at the moment.

any further offenders gonna play hardball with me.

The perception for British members comes from the FCO [Foreign & Commonwealth Office] 2009 report British Abroad, in which as a percentage of visitors, Thailand has the highest death rate, predominately from motorcycle accidents apparently, though with specific mention of falls from balconies in the notes. This link to the report itself {PDF} might be helpful in explaining this.

As to the matter in hand, may I first extend my condolences, and secondly note that despite what many say, it is surprisingly common for a minor altercation to accelerate into full blown violence here, even more so between Thais themselves. This case is tragic, and ultimately it is to be hoped that the perpetrators are caught, tried and convicted of the crime.

Regards

/edit clarity/

Edited by A_Traveller

All sinceres condelences to the affected families and friends of the victim, Well i dont understand how come the 3 boys have not been arrested by the police already, Taking consideration of the history of the local police the driver have fully right horned, they are not allow to cross the way of a coming car, and it's illegal to drive a non register motorbike!!! :) if for example the foreigner have crash one of them, the foreigner will be arrested immediately!!! I don't think that it's the good image of thailand can give for futur incoming tourist, Thailand is not a secure country for tourist and will not be sooner... I hope the police will do the necessary arrestation, and the sentence will be heavy such as they understand that they are not allow to kill a human being or to kill someone for such reason... and by the way we dont have the right to kill someone for any reason... Hope also the European Union and Federal gouvernment of Germany will make their proper job and support the Local Police and the family of the Victim.

Attention to all foreigner and thai people in Thailand or in any other country

Please think twice before act in dangerous way, it's can cost life of a human being or your life and destroy an all family

Alexandre, unfortunately the EU and German government have no influence unless they are prepared to actually do something concrete. Short of imposing travel restrictions, there isn't much that can be done. Visitors make the decision to come to Thailand and they have the ability to go elsewhere. What can any foreign government do? This case can be explained away as a random criminal act. The deceased was not targeted because he was a Farang or German. We know these events occur just as often with Thais as victims. The EU and the Germans are not going to say anything except offer empty words, because sanctions or condemnations are not in the interest of the EU and German economic interests in Thailand. As well, such a move would open the EU and Germany to charges of hypocrisy. The only thing that the locals will understand is if continued violence hits them where it counts: Their wallets. Until then nothing is going to change.