• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

2. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

3. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

4. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

5. 563

White Culture

6. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

7. 86

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

8. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

9. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

10. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

11. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

12. 125

Trump chickens out again.

13. 68

14. 68

Protection

MattCinderey

Again, I'm new to biking and wanted to know more about protection and if it can be broken down to essentials of some order.

Obviously:

1.) Helmet. Head hits the ground - game over. I plan to get myself a Shoei up in BKK in a month or so.

2.) Jacket. I once saw a guy get up here on Samui after coming off an R1. He had been driving with no top on. His back had no skin left, literally.

3.) Gloves. Again, I guess this is because naturally put your hands out when you come off?

4.) Boots. Broken Ankles?

I guess one of my thoughts is every time I want to pop to seven eleven, which is 3 minutes down the road on my bike do I spend 10 minutes putting my full leathers on, boots, gloves & a helmet. I see so many guys here riding around with jeans, t-shirt and helmet (a helmet is a bonus here)

Thailand is hot guys, are there light style jackets that give good protection that have good airflow?

Again, thanks for all the great advice,

Matt.

Hi Matt. I know what you mean about gearing up. It's a pain in the arse. Ultimately you will find out what works for you. This is the rule I use for riding the big bikes:

If popping down to 7, always slap on the helmet (full face) at a minimum. (I know most don't on Samui, but on a big bike it's a must) Just like a helmet, I simply can't ride without gloves, ever, as I feel naked and grip is much less without them. It's more comfortable too. Dampens vibrations. As for the feet, sometimes on very short trips I will even wear my sandles, but usually shoes or boots are better. Something to cover the toes at least.

If I am going more than 5-10 minutes away, I often put on my mesh jacket and riding boots, maybe only trainers, (tennis shoes as we yanks call them.) I'll often wear shorts, but sometimes blue jeans.

My full riding kit I will usually only don if I am going for an longer rides like maybe in a group. Full facemask helmet, Alpine star gloves, mesh or leather jacket with reinforced shoulders, elbows and spine, knee and shin pads under my mesh riding pants which have extra padding on the hips and knees. On longer trips I will also wear a sort of lycra thing under the riding pants that has even more padding on the hips and on the ass as well to make the long rides more comfortable.

The one time I came off in Thailand I was lucky to have on boots, good helmet, and jeans. I walked away with just a slightly damaged patella on my right knee. If I had had my full kit on, it would have saved my knee, and the loss of quite a bit of skin on my right elbow and wrist. Oddly my Thai GF at the time, wearing just a skirt and t-shirt, no helmet, got a run in her stocking. That's it. Thai's know how to fall off a bike.

I'm not really superstitious, but my philosphy on riding gear is if I am not wearing it, I will need it, so really having full set of kit on actually protects me from crashing!! Murphy's Law.

As for where to get gear, like I said in your other thread, check out the shop between Nathon and Lamai with all the big bikes. I bet they have or can point you towards what you want. Otherwise Tony (Bigbikebkk) and some others know all the good spots in Bangkok. I can help you in Phuket if you are here.

Hope this helps!!

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Emphasize gear you will actually wear or (like SB) get multiple gear for different situations.

I never ride a big bike without a helmet, but I am getting a MTX style one for short hops.. I also dont ride without trainers and gloves and almost always a jacket.. I do ride a lot in heavy long shorts, and I dont even own a set of riding boots.. Both mistakes but I just cant handle being in jeans at my destination for day to day use. A road trip is different.

When shopping get stuff the breathes, sure having a set of leathers for high speed trips or 'rides' but its a rare person who will use them day to day.. Far better to have mesh / air flow jacket that fits and is comfy, thats on your back than a jacket in the hanger. Same goes with helmets, better a nice high airflow helmet you wear then a hot one you hate to put on.

Hey Matt,

Good to see someone else is also interested in bike safety as much as I am. You can never be too equipped, especially on Samui, or anywhere in LOS for that matter.

Although somewhat pricey, at a little under 47,000THB including VAT, I highly recommend an inflatable air bag suit. I purchased one about a year ago and it has saved me more than once I can tell you.

post-64713-1264694327_thumb.jpg

Upon impact with the road, any one of the 90 inbuilt crash impact sensors will inflate the air bag suit to 50,000 PSI in well under a second.

Then all you need to do then is wait for some good citizen to come by and roll you to the side of the road.

Although a little heavy, at just under 32kg's they are well worth it.

Hey Matt,

Good to see someone else is also interested in bike safety as much as I am. You can never be too equipped, especially on Samui, or anywhere in LOS for that matter.

Although somewhat pricey, at a little under 47,000THB including VAT, I highly recommend an inflatable air bag suit. I purchased one about a year ago and it has saved me more than once I can tell you.

post-64713-1264694327_thumb.jpg

Upon impact with the road, any one of the 90 inbuilt crash impact sensors will inflate the air bag suit to 50,000 PSI in well under a second.

Then all you need to do then is wait for some good citizen to come by and roll you to the side of the road.

Although a little heavy, at just under 32kg's they are well worth it.

Umm.....no. lol Anyway, after you make impact with the road it's too late! lol It would launch you into the air again! That would be a sight! lol

I was curious about that pic. It's called Halliburton.jpg, so I assumed that's what the H means. So I Googled it and the actual story is kinda funny. From http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/politics/

""It's basically a giant inflatable orb," said a Yes Man posing as "Fred Wolf of Halliburton" during a phone interview yesterday. "If catastrophe threatens a large population, the business manager simply enters the orb, puts it on, and it protects him or her in any climate condition, whether it involved tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, ice conditions or heat conditions."We were targeting Halliburton because they're the most iconic example of companies profiting from global warming, climate changes and even natural disasters like in New Orleans," said a Yes Man who called himself Andy Bichlbaum."

Ironicaly, I have an actual mesh jacket called "Hit-Air" that does something similar, but to a much less degree. (http://www.eggparka.com/english/main.html) I had it given to me without the inflation mechanism tho. MotoGP guys have something like that in their track suits too. Not a bad idea.

Edited by ScubaBuddha