No More Cheating At Petrol Stations

webfact

"Consumers will now know if they are cheated"

How many people in Thailand actually get out their cars to check what is being put in ???....what you going to do demand a "p*ss test" of the pump before they put the fuel in

Errrrrmmmmm???? Yeah! It is a bit silly as even if they colour the gas who's to stop dodgy pump owners putting a bit of ink in their fake gas to make it the right colour and as you say who looks at the colour of their gas anyway. I know I don't! Your much more likely to be riped off by a doctored meter that reads 500B when only 400B has been put in so who cares what colour the gas is? Twice I've ordered gasoline and stated 500B and when I've checked the meter only 400B has been put in which is a good excuse to shout at the pump attendant who apologises and puts another 100B in the tank. Only twice in 8 years so that's not bad. Most pumps are pretty honest!

How many people in Thailand actually get out their cars to check what is being put in ???....what you going to do demand a "p*ss test" of the pump before they put the fuel in

I for one always do.

It helps for a number of reasons:

check that they are resetting the pump properly to zero, and not stopping and starting it again,

check to make sure they don't overfill it.

Stretch.

Talk to them and think about how tough their job must be for their measly 6,000 baht a month.

This sometimes gets my tires checked (which will earn them a tip although of course i don't tell them that) , and,

I often (about every 3 fill-ups) check my own oil and as it gets thicker and blacker reminds me that it's time for a change.

Maybe it's something my father always taught me to do but i think it's a good idea to get out of the car at fueling stations.

For a crap, a piss, or a pot noodle and a cheese dog but other than that what's the point of getting out of your car? 6000B might be measly to you but that's a pretty good wage here for a brainless job. "how tough their job must be?" it's not diamond mining in Sierra Leone!

I do believe we will now be seeing a lot of PURPLE fuel now....as it goes without saying when you mix yellow and blue.

Yellow and blue = green. :)

Have to agree! Yellow and blue is definately green. Try blue and red and you might get some shade of purple?

I do believe we will now be seeing a lot of PURPLE fuel now....as it goes without saying when you mix yellow and blue.

Have to agree! Yellow and blue is definately green. Try blue and red and you might get some shade of purple?

add a match and see it go orange :D

add a match and see it go orange :D

Yep fire's colourblind

just have a quick look into the fuel tank with your lighter once you fill it up so you can see the color, for your peace of mind and everything else....

:):D :D :D :D :D :D :D

...........brilliant!! .... a great way to see if your LPG tank is leaking or the fluid level in the battery too!!!

Edited by David006

Pardon my scepticism, but the history teaches us, that for any new law people invent 'bylaw', or 'bypass'.

Are the colour additives cheap? Can I buy them? Etc. etc. etc....

Hmm... If the money is to be made, they would put yellow piss in my tank. The problem is, the car can not drive off.

P.S. Just as a curiosity point: back in my country petrol is cheaper than drinking water and soda water!!! Go on, talk about limited fossil fuels... Makes me wonder, how many people, companies and governments should learn to put their money where their mouths are, - we all know where they put our money. :)

How is that going to stop the most popular cheat, not resetting the pump between customers?

What I find strange is that the government is pushing this idea as they they are right up there with BIB at you know what, maybe somebody was not getting a fair cut ?

How is that going to stop the most popular cheat, not resetting the pump between customers?
I have a car with a 95 liter thank, but 2 times already at the same petrolstation can fill up 105 liter. Amazing Thailand! Maybe petrolthanks geting bigger from the heat? (Joke)

Another useless crackdown and easily circumnavigated! If the Thai government actually funneled the money they waste in useless crackdowns into beneficial programs Thailand may once again become the leading Nation in SE Asia. As it is now they are trying to out under perform Burma. What is next a name and capital change? 

I see people posting on thai visa all the time complaining that the government doesn't enforce the laws or that the laws are stupid or similar.

Now we have a situation where they are actually trying to do something about one of the scams and posters are bitching about that too.

Maybe we should put you in charge of scams and see how thai visa posts agree with your decisions???

Have a nice day!

What are they actually trying to do fiddlehead? If you actually sat down and thought about this regulation, you would know that it has very little to do with fixing a scam. It is all an attempt to make it look like they are doing something. That way when the everyday idiot sees this announcement they would wrongly believe that this government is working for them, fiddlehead. I agree with the previous poster in saying inspectors would be the only ones who would be able to tell. There is nothing stopping a filling station from putting the dye into the fuel themselves. It is the same principle which people can circumvent the no alcohol law in the gift baskets. Buy the alcohol separately and put it in yourself after you left the store. Here all the pump owner has to do is buy a dying agent of the right color and put it into the fuel themselves. Unless the government hired inspectors to test all the filling stations in Thailand at a fairly regular interval there is nothing to stop this from happening. Thus another regulation which is easy to get around.

Edited by hhiser

Most pump stations only have two tanks for the gasoline, high octane and low octane, and maybe a third for the gasohol mixture. When you want something in between (such as 95, 95 and 10% gasohol or something similar) they simply mix the two in the right proportions at the pump.

That is why it is so easy to cheat the customers. It is not the delivery truck that comes with the "cheated" gasoline, the cheat takes place at the station by the staff.

555555 have a 60 liter tank, guy shows up with a 73 liter bill, while I was falling backwards on the car from laughing I asked him how it was possible that a 60 liter tank could get 73 liters he looks at me very convinced and answered: "you look at bill"

Great stories for the people that can laugh about it.........

Have a good weekend

David

Most pump stations only have two tanks for the gasoline, high octane and low octane, and maybe a third for the gasohol mixture. When you want something in between (such as 95, 95 and 10% gasohol or something similar) they simply mix the two in the right proportions at the pump.

That is why it is so easy to cheat the customers. It is not the delivery truck that comes with the "cheated" gasoline, the cheat takes place at the station by the staff.

You don't expect to be taken serious with a post like this,do you.

Another useless crackdown and easily circumnavigated! If the Thai government actually funneled the money they waste in useless crackdowns into beneficial programs Thailand may once again become the leading Nation in SE Asia. As it is now they are trying to out under perform Burma. What is next a name and capital change? 

I see people posting on thai visa all the time complaining that the government doesn't enforce the laws or that the laws are stupid or similar.

Now we have a situation where they are actually trying to do something about one of the scams and posters are bitching about that too.

Maybe we should put you in charge of scams and see how thai visa posts agree with your decisions???

Have a nice day!

Spot on!!! positivism gives a lot more pleasure in life, the balcony with the two old grumps from the Muppet Show is getting crowded and a lot less funny!!

I have a car with a 95 liter thank, but 2 times already at the same petrolstation can fill up 105 liter. Amazing Thailand! Maybe petrolthanks geting bigger from the heat? (Joke)

That's because they fill it up like CNG.Under pressure. :)

Have a nice day!

Spot on!!! positivism gives a lot more pleasure in life, the balcony with the two old grumps from the Muppet Show is getting crowded and a lot less funny!!

ya and if the balcony was in Thailand it would collapse from poor construction :)

Have a nice day!

ya and if the balcony was in Thailand it would collapse from poor construction :)

Ha ha, bunch of muppets! But to be a little more civil, this is not a instance of positivism versus negativism. It is about reality, and the reality is this measure will not deter pumps who wish to cheat their customers by selling mislabeled products. Nothing besides honest and hardworking inspectors would be able to prevent this practice.

Edited by hhiser

Used to be a time years back (in the uk anyway) when fuel pumps had a glass dome on them & you could see what you were getting. Alas, long gone with the advent of pumps capable of charging over 100p per litre. (average price of diesel here now about 58.76 bht)

Diesel in the UK is coloured for tax reasons

Same in Oz, Bulk Primary Industry diesel is duty free, and commercial use is subject to duty, colouration allows inspectors to spot Primary industry fuel on the market.

I thought I've seen 98 at some stations but probably I am mistaken. Or maybe I remember from long time ago, since I really never look for it, only look for the one which is cheapest so rarely notice the actual octane number.

So I admit my mistake, sorry.

How on earth would I know what colour it was ?

I pull up, flip the tank open, he fills it up, closes the tank, I pay and rive off.

Can someone please tell me how I am supposed to know whether it is yellow, green, red or polka dotted ?

Just look in the mirror and see the colour thats running down the side of the car as he squeezes that extra 2bht of fuel in there

:)

Back in 2001 I was very grossly cheated at a petrol station. After having parked, I noticed a very heavy petrol smell around the pickup. Off I went to a car repair shop, where they told me the tank had been filled up with a mixture of diesel and lamp oil. They advised me to top up with diesel little bits at a time, so I kept getting 100 Baht refills till the smell had disappeared.

Edited by keestha

I'm color blind, but when yellow is mixed with blue doesn't it produce green?

May I assume that you are illiterate as well since that mistake has been corrected at least 8 times already since the post was made. :)