Good News? Re-entry Permits

I don't want to spread false information or get hopes up, so please moderators check this out and provide corrections if necessary.

I was just told by an immigration officer the following: "You can now get a re-entry permit at ANY immigration office in Thailand."

The possible good news is that some of us who do not live near our assigned immigration office can now get a re-entry permit at any immigration office.

True?

That has always been true. But you have had to use the office you obtained your extension of stay. Only if here on a visa entry were you allowed to use any office (as long as you had a local address).

If he means you do not have to do this now it is new(s) and most welcome.

When he says "any" does he mean you can get one anywhere not just Chaeng Wattana, but must be your local one

or

When he says "any" does he mean you can go to any Immigration office, not dependant on where you live, to get a re-entry permit

When he says "any" does he mean you can get one anywhere not just Chaeng Wattana, but must be your local one

or

When he says "any" does he mean you can go to any Immigration office, not dependant on where you live, to get a re-entry permit

Let me clarify. The officer was aware of my assigned immigration office.

The officer told me that it was no longer necessary to get the re-entry permit at your assigned office.

The officer went on to say that it is now possible to get the re-entry permit at any immigration office.

In other words, if true, you can now get a re-entry permit at your assigned immigration office or at any other immigration office.

That is what the officer told me. Maybe this is new policy.

Maybe we will start getting some feedback on it.

Be sure and ask about this at your assigned immigration office.

I, for one, would welcome this change in policy if, in fact, it is a change in policy.