Whislt In Thailand, Have You Given Anyone A Nickname?

tigerfish

seeing as this is thailand and most thais are called by their nicknames. i was wonderdering if whilst staying in thailand you have given anyone or anywhere a nickname.

it could be a well known thai t.v. star, politcian, sportsperson, someone in your everday life, a place, the mother in-law, the wife or ex in some cases, and for what reason.

i always used to call the two guys on t.v. who did the commentary for the foreign football a few years back now. bert and bernie, because they reminded me so much of the two characters on sesame street. a couple of bumbling idiots, that didnt know what they were talking about. wont tell you what i call the mother in-law.

I usually ignore nicknames and call people, usully girlfriends and gigs by the -often beautiful- real name, in the beginning they are surprised or somehow flattered when I say I like and prefer to use their real name in stead of the ugly Noi Poi Koi Toy Oum Num Bum Tum Am Nam Kam Ham etc.etc.etc. and all that 3-letter nonsense that I can't remember, if an Am calls me it can be 6 of them.

A girlfriend named Lanethong I don't call Noi !

So, I don't give nicknames but I 'give them back' the real names.

I usually ignore nicknames and call people, usully girlfriends and gigs by the -often beautiful- real name, in the beginning they are surprised or somehow flattered when I say I like and prefer to use their real name in stead of the ugly Noi Poi Koi Toy Oum Num Bum Tum Am Nam Kam Ham etc.etc.etc. and all that 3-letter nonsense that I can't remember, if an Am calls me it can be 6 of them.

A girlfriend named Lanethong I don't call Noi !

So, I don't give nicknames but I 'give them back' the real names.

Do you mean you think the single syllable nicknames are ugly in sound or there true meaning?

I love them especially the modern ones..here are some i've seen/heard/known.

M & M

French Frie

Bim Bam & Boom (twins and 1 brother)

Ford Fiat & Porsche (3 brothers)

Cop (wonder who daddy is??)

an old gf was called B because her brother the first child was named Ae... :) i always thought it was cute...

OP...i haven't given anyone a nickname but i see lots Thai doppledangers of my family or friends from the West which i always find bizarre that an Asian has the similarities of a Westerner.

On one of my early visits, when I was sitting around outside my g/f's house with a few of my neighbors, I spotted a friend, Samroy, coming down the road in a samlaw. "Samroy", I called out. "Miaow krap", I was corrected. "Samlaw"! And to this day the nickname is "Samlaw".

Do you mean you think the single syllable nicknames are ugly in sound or there true meaning?

(about those single syllables) I mean in originality, like it pulls people down when everyone has the same short nick, as if the real given name (and individu) has no value (ahh yeah that's what they learned since kindergarten right) And come on... OM is not a name, it's more like a code.

Actually those nicks often DO MATCH, just seem to confirm the few variations in personalities.

Therefor I dislike those single syllable nicks.

Many find it exiting if you give them a matching foreign name, but don't use Angelina Jolie or Byoncé because thats what they all want... again.

Luckily there are still a lot who have more original nicks, like you can see here. Just see the name Pasawan, well thats a nice, exotic name and easy to pronounce... But no more Ois Oms Ams and Oums please, and also way too many Kungs walking around !

<deleted> loosing my time on this again...

TWEET: COFFEETIME (2)

Edited by ManilaLover

i have to nephews, one 23 and the other 26. the classic playboy, butterfly types. whenever i see one of them with a new ladyfriend i call them ron(ron jeremy) and john(john holmes). i explained it to them once. now they smile with a cheecky grin, poor girls havent got a clue what im on about, given time they soon find out. poor lambs!

I got given the name "Somchai". Its easier for Thai's to say than my real name and it makes a good ice breaker. In my home town a number of other Farang have been introduced as "friend (of) Somchai". I can't help but wonder why they don't get with the program. Get a nickname and be known in their own right. :)

Only time it got a raised eyebrow was that brief period when we had a PM of the same name. But, most just saw the funny side.