Tired Of Red Shirts Shouting

invex

I am tired of listen to those Red Shirts yelling, shouting and singing in their million watt speakers. I can even not watch TV in a normal way anymore……..

When will this stop and when will police do something about the noise and the blockades of the roads? First behind Wat Phrasing for months and now on Superhighway at the Police building.

Do like the rest of the tourists / expats, go anywhere else in the country. Chiang Mai is the last stand for the red brigade and basically written off as a tourist destination.

And ehrm.. it's noise, nobody will do anything about it. Forget it.

Huh? There are more tourists in Chiang Mai now than in December. The Night Market is absolutely packed with foreigners.

However, I will admit that having the Red Shirts across the street last night yelling into a microphone did keep me from trying Sergio's new restaurant - The sacrifices we have to make for Democracy!

It's called freedom of assembly and freedom of expression. Some signs at least that Thai democracy still shows a pulse.

It's.. "interesting" to see that allegedly educated foreigners are actually advocating a police crackdown on those basic freedoms.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It's called freedom of assembly and freedom of expression. Some signs at least that Thai democracy still shows a pulse.

It's.. "interesting" to see that allegedly educated foreigners are actually advocating a police crackdown on those basic freedoms.

Agree 100 % with you.

I agree .. you don't crackdown on peaceful assemblies ... but you can move them to appropriate places (and provide them with protection!) Then again ... when they threaten violence like taking over police headquarters there is sufficient cause to disperse a crowd.

edit: "feeling" disenfranchised isn't an excuse when everything that has occurred is standard in parliamentary democracies.

Edited by jdinasia

Is there a protest permit process? If so, do they have permits? Interesting the defense of the CM reds, the same group of anti-freedom activists who thought they had the right to shut down a peacefu public gay event under the threat of thuggish violence. Freedom for themselves only, they think that's OK. What do you think they would do if some pro Abhisit group gathered there?

Edited by Jingthing

Absolutely, the key point being that these assemblies should be peaceful, whether red or yellow.

I recall that, at the time the PAD were protesting, some allegedly educated foreigners were advocating sending in the troops, and dispersing them with violence. Not to mention dear Seh Daeng's antics ! :)

Absolutely, the key point being that these assemblies should be peaceful, whether red or yellow.

I recall that, at the time the PAD were protesting, some allegedly educated foreigners were advocating sending in the troops, and dispersing them with violence. Not to mention dear Seh Daeng's antics ! :)

I was also for sending in the troops - it was outrageous and would never happen in any other country I know of - can you imagine Miami, London or JFK taken over? (or Manila for that matter). I am against it whether red, white or yellow - period... anyway we digress... difficult times ahead I fear

Agree 100 % with you.

I am sorry that I am from an under-developed country. However, in my country;

-"freedom of assembly and freedom of expression' has NOTHING to do with disturbing/manipulating/challenging other people all the time.

-and democracy has NOTHING to do with defending/adoring a convicted criminal on the run. In a true democracy a verdict of the court is a final verdict and cannot be discussed. End of story. If one cannot accept, there is no democracy. Simple as that.

Which country is a "true democracy" and does not allow anyone to appeal decisions of the court system? I don't think that I've heard of it.

I think when he says Final verdict, he means after all appeals have been exhausted.

Thaksin legged it, so I don't know if he finished all his appeals or not. I think he did though. And his bint owes some porridge as well.

Which country is a "true democracy" and does not allow anyone to appeal decisions of the court system? I don't think that I've heard of it.

Once a supreme court rules .... but in this case Thaksin threw away his right to appeal. (The appeal process for the Rachada land case) Thaksin WILL have the right to appeal the current case regarding his money......... of course he will have to appear in person to file the appeal and when he does he goes straight to jail and does not pass go and does not collect $200. He might, if he loses the $2 billion, decide that appealing that case is worth going to jail for 2 years in a Thai prison.

Agree 100%.

I recall that, at the time the PAD were protesting, some allegedly educated foreigners were advocating sending in the troops, and dispersing them with violence. Not to mention dear Seh Daeng's antics ! :D

Well, not only educated foreigners wanted to send in the troops when Thailand was effectively shut off from the rest of the world through the airport blockade, the Thai government at the time ALSO wanted to disperse the protesters. The police/army however showed they take their orders from elsewhere (or from nobody), and ignored a direct order from the government and allowed the blockade to continue through inaction. The courts then did their part in a nice double-play and brought down the government over yet another silly charge (PM being on a cooking show, anyone? :) )

But anyway, we digress. The point I'm making is that the PAD was (and is) free to hold peaceful protests, but it's not uncommon in any country in the world to not let a protest end up in shutting the country off from the rest of the world, and doing damage that lasts until this day. If the Red Shirts do something similar I would ALSO be in favor of removing them of whatever vital part of the economy/society they were preventing from functioning.

The courts then did their part in a nice double-play and brought down the government over yet another silly charge (PM being on a cooking show, anyone? :D )

Sorry No, PM-Samak's court-case was some months earlier, which is how the PPP were able to put in PM-Somchai, instead of re-nominating Samak again. Most democratic of them !

Of course Somchai then proved to be totally incapable of getting the police or military to do as he told them.

His government was brought down by its leading-party being dissolved for electoral-malpractices. :D

But anyway, we digress. The point I'm making is that the PAD was (and is) free to hold peaceful protests, but it's not uncommon in any country in the world to not let a protest end up in shutting the country off from the rest of the world, and doing damage that lasts until this day. If the Red Shirts do something similar I would ALSO be in favor of removing them of whatever vital part of the economy/society they were preventing from functioning.

As indeed happened last April. Imagine a world without Pattaya open 24/7 ... simply unthinkable ! :D

But I still hope this can all be resolved, without Thais killing Thais en-masse, in Chiang Mai or anywhere else. :)

I'm within nighttime earshot of the Mahidol/ Ping River rallies. It is a bit annoying, I've got to tell you. TO the point where it starts to look silly. And it's got to be exhausting to hold rally after rally and yell on and on for hours. They've done the effigy burning n coffin dump in the river, now what's left ?

A: 'Hey Honey, you want do something lomantic, go lestaulan' tonight ?'

B: "Cannot, Tilak. Tonight we go listen rhetoric again. Su su !"

The thing about politics, is it takes loads of grassroots organizing to build a groundswell and momentum. And making a big show should be a special event to which many show up. I think they're actually dissipating any energy they could mobilize, rather than amassing it and focusing it. Not that I support them; I only watch (and listen thru my upstairs window). But I'm trying to apply Western logic and this is their place, so let them do as they will. Assemble as much as you like Khon Thai.

Though... blocking off or constricting traffic on a major traffic artery nearly nightly.... not the most practical way to do things. Again, Western logic.

12am Tues/Weds, they just played the Salute to His Majesty, and stopped the speeches. That's a long night of microphones for a Tues night, though I'll give them that since 10pm or so the volume was 'reasonable' to me at about a mile away.

12am Tues/Weds, they just played the Salute to His Majesty, and stopped the speeches. That's a long night of microphones for a Tues night, though I'll give them that since 10pm or so the volume was 'reasonable' to me at about a mile away.

They have turned the stage towards the south now, away from the police-station. It is a lot better as I live north of it at about 2-3 miles. Before, I could hear them shouting, loud and clear, even in my bathroom with the door closed.