Can I Get Thai Driving License?

male

When I got my initial 1 year temporary license here in Bangkok there was no written test; only some eye and reaction tests (simple and easy). I did have an International Drivers License but don't know if that made any difference at all....and I was on a long term/1 year visa. And a year later when applying for my permanent/5 year license, there were no tests of any kind...only needed to show the medical certificate (i.e., a local clinic/doctor provides you a certificate for about a 100 Baht saying you are still breathing) and my long term visa/extension of stay in the passport. And I didn't have to fill out any forms for the 5 year licenses, but I did have to fill out a one page form a year earlier when getting my initial 1 year/temporary license...the form was very basic (i.e., name, age, address, etc). I got both an auto and motorcycle license...grand total cost for both licenses was around 1000 Baht, give or take a 100 Baht (the auto license was around 700 Baht). In an out of the local drivers license/transportation office in less than an hour. Your experience may vary.

As you are probably not Thai citizen, you need both a valid (usually 3 years, sometimes consider as obsolete after 1) international driving license and a proof of residency , in Thailand of course (work permit is an easy way, but a special letter from your embassy can work too).

Then, just like any people here, you have to pass some kind of medical examination to certify you can be behind a wheel: no need to really know thai language, but better not come drunk!

Edited by DTiger

Thanks and where do I apply in Pattaya?

The testing center is behind the Regents International School. Get on Sukhumvit head towards the Bangkok direction and take the turn off to the motorway to Bangkok. Keep going until you see the Regents School on the opposite side of the motorway as you look right. Then take the U-turn a couple of hundred meters back towards the school. Pass the school out and take the next secondary left turn. Follow the road as it banks left and the training center is not to far away. I was not asked to produce an International license, just the resident’s letter, house book and copy of passport. There is also a video class a touch screen test in English and the dreaded drive around the car park which is made so enjoyable by looking at some of the parking techniques employed by the locals. Enjoy!

When I got my initial 1 year temporary license here in Bangkok there was no written test; only some eye and reaction tests (simple and easy). I did have an International Drivers License but don't know if that made any difference at all....and I was on a long term/1 year visa. And a year later when applying for my permanent/5 year license, there were no tests of any kind...only needed to show the medical certificate (i.e., a local clinic/doctor provides you a certificate for about a 100 Baht saying you are still breathing) and my long term visa/extension of stay in the passport. And I didn't have to fill out any forms for the 5 year licenses, but I did have to fill out a one page form a year earlier when getting my initial 1 year/temporary license...the form was very basic (i.e., name, age, address, etc). I got both an auto and motorcycle license...grand total cost for both licenses was around 1000 Baht, give or take a 100 Baht (the auto license was around 700 Baht). In an out of the local drivers license/transportation office in less than an hour. Your experience may vary.

You have to take a written test (in English) if you don't have a valid driving licence (+iDP if not in English).