Non Imm "0" Visa And Then Non Imm "o" - Marriage

Hi,

I'm under 50 and married to a Thai lady. We wish to go and live in Thailand very soon. Is this the right way to do it ?

First, apply for a Non Imm "0" VISA valid for 90 days in my homecountry. Then before the 90 day expires, extend the visa to a Non Imm "O" - marriage at the Immigration office in Thailand?

Thanks

Is the best way to go! You would actually be applying for extension of stay in Thailand, which is not a visa, as long as you can meet the financial requirements; 400k in Thai bank account in your name for two months prior to application (3 months for renewals) OR 40k/month income (your income). In the case of income from abroad you will need to obtain an income letter from your embassy. If using the bank balance option you will need a letter from bank confirming the account balance and copies of bank book. Most immigration offices are now asking also for Kor Sor 2 (copy of marriage register) so may need to obtain from amphur/register marriage if not already done.

You should apply for extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day permission to stay received on entry into the Kingdom.

I already have a Thai bank account in my name. So all I need is 400K Baht on that bank account 2 months before I apply for a Non Imm "O" - marriage VISA.

If I have a letter from the bank even if by the time I apply for the visa the 400K are not in the bank anymor, is it still ok?

And when I need to report every 90 days at the immigration office, do I still need to show the statement of 400K on the bank or not?

Ok, have a few other questions :

- Do I need the Non Imm 0 VISA to expire and then apply for the extension of 1 year or can I apply for the extension 1 month before it expires?

- Is it possible to just come with a 1 month tourist visa and then apply for a Non Imm "O" extension ? I guess not but that would be simple.

"...before I apply for a Non Imm "O" - marriage VISA."

As stated above, you will not be applying for a visa. You will be extending the visa you already have. The reason for the extension will be for marriage, but it's not technically a 'marriage visa', even though that's what it's commonly called.

Normally if your bank balance drops below the 400k mark for even one day, it won't be accepted.

Ok so I will have to save the 400K BAHT for the first 2 months on my thai bank account and then when I apply for the extension, have a letter that states that I have a minimum of 400K Baht on the account at that date. When I have the visa with the extension of 1 year, I can spend my money.

If that's it, ok :)

Thanks

The bank balance needs to be 400k+ every day in the 2 month period before you apply for your extension of stay based on marriage. Once the extension of stay is approved the balance can drop below 400k. If using the bank balance option at renewal in 12 months time, 400k must be the minimum amount on the account every day for a period of 3 months before you apply for renewal.

You will need to bring the wife with you to immigration (for interview), her ID card, tabbien bahn (house book), marriage certificate, photos together around the home, map to home, completed application form TM7, copies of passport/TM6 departure card and current passport sized photos. Cost 1,900 baht. Most offices are now asking also for Kor Sor 2 (copy of marriage register) and you may have to provide two witnesses to your living together (this is a new thing at some offices) so best to check before you go. Is good idea to update bank book on day of visiting immigration, but if not possible advise obtaining an ATM printout of account that agrees with balance in bank book/bank letter.

You will get a 30 day under consideration stamp. Immigration will give you a date to go back and get the remainder of your extension. If you plan to travel abroad during the period of the extension you will need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to keep your permission to stay alive. Fee 1,000 baht single entry or 3,800 baht multi entry.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

Note: print the two-sided form on a single sheet of A4 sized paper, or obtain/complete at immigration

And if I consider staying in Thailand with a Non Imm "O" multi-entry visa and do border runs every 3 month, is that option still possible ? I heard rumors that it was not possible anymore?

Yes, it's still possible, also if you make another entry just before the visa expires, you will receive another entry for 90 days. That makes it possible to stay almost 15 months.

And if I consider staying in Thailand with a Non Imm "O" multi-entry visa and do border runs every 3 month, is that option still possible ? I heard rumors that it was not possible anymore?

Yes, it's still possible, also if you make another entry just before the visa expires, you will receive another entry for 90 days. That makes it possible to stay almost 15 months.

That's maybe the best solution at the moment for myself. I don't mind doing border runs.

But what are these rumors all about ? What changed about these border runs ?

Do you need to stay a few days outside thailand or can you just cross the border, get a stamp and be back right after ?

Rumours swirl around all the time, but nothing official is known about any (if indeed any) changes. The last change occured over a year ago when the 90/180 day rule was scrapped and the number of days received at land border crossing was reduced from 30 to 15 for visa exempt entry. But that would not apply to you anyway as holder of Non-O visa. You must make sure that you enter (are stamped into) the second country. You can then turn around and leave (get stamped out of) the second country immediately if you want to. You will get new 90 days permission to stay at Thai immigration on each entry as long as your visa is valid.