Green Bus To Mesai

st11x

G'day,

I was at the arcade yesterday to find out about buses to Mesai. We learned that the green buses will take you there for about 150, 200, or 300 THB depending on how much "comfort" you want ... or that is what we understood.

Are the buses comfortable? How long does it take to get to Mesai and how far away will you be from the border?

What are the schedules like?

thanks

Matt

Thanks for the replies. So how long does it take to get to the border by the bus? If I drive, I can get there in about 4 hours. If the bus is the same (with all the side stops to pick up people on the way, etc), then I might just take the bus.

thanks

Matt

the vip bus will go direct except for a brief stop in ChianRai. As stated above there are several but one leaves at 8AM and you can get the return around 2:30 or 3:15.

I have traveled the 100 baht bus it takes more than 5 hours each way. It stops to pick up every single person that wants a lift.

If you have the extra cash, I would take the VIP, they have single seats on the left and double on the right.

The airconditioned mid range is still pretty uncomfortable and if I remember right there wasn't a toliet on it.

The bus is not a place to be stuck on if you have to go.

The bus takes less than 4 hours - normally gets to Mai Sai before midday - 10 baht red bus to the border. But make sure you book your return ticket before going to the border, the bus back can be full and then you are stuck.

I wouldn't take the cheaper buses, very slow and uncomfortable.

The bus takes less than 4 hours - normally gets to Mai Sai before midday - 10 baht red bus to the border. But make sure you book your return ticket before going to the border, the bus back can be full and then you are stuck.

I wouldn't take the cheaper buses, very slow and uncomfortable.

I have no idea the cost of the songthiew from the station in Mae Sai to the border, but otherwise Briley's report is spot on. My wife did this a week ago. 8:00am VIP bus arrived in MS before noon. The 2:30 return bus arrived at Arcade at 6:35pm. Both buses were full. Be sure to book in advance.

To me it is not worth saving 200 baht for the inconvenience of no toilet, poor seating and an extra hour on the bus... one way. It takes about 4 to 4 1/2 hours on the big aircon bus depending on how long the border cops keep you at each of their check points. It took us 4 1/2 hours going up and 4 hours coming back. It takes closer to 5 1/2 hours on the slow bus that stops for everything. We chose to stay over night in mae Sai and I have to agree it was a good idea. It made the whole trip more restfull for an added 400 baht for a great room in hotel near the river. There are cheaper rooms of course, but I really liked the one where we stayed. It was well away from the hustle and bustle of the main drag. To find the room take the little road that goes beside the entrance way and swings around through a shopping area before going up a quiet street. We left Chiang Mai at 9:30 AM and got to Mai Sai bus depot about 1:45. It was 15 baht to travel the final 7 km by songtow to the border.

By staying over night it gave our bums some time to recover and made it a more relaxing trip. It also allowed us time to do a little exploring and shopping.

The little road to our hotel was to the left and just below this picture of the Burma border.

IMGP2750.jpg

Mae_Sai_003.sized.jpg

Mae_Sai_001.sized.jpg

Mae_Sai_8.jpg