Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand.

NamKangMan

Scam?

I don't know if they still do this or not, because I've been in the habit of using the metered taxis. Anyway, on my first trip in 2000, I just went with one of the "taxi" guys who was hanging around at the airport looking for a customer. Back then, it was 500 baht to Patong Beach. I knew I was going to Patong Beach, but didn't really have a hotel reservation, just a list of hotels. I figured one would have a vacancy, no problem. Well, I made the mistake of telling the driver I didn't have a hotel reservation, so, on the way to Patong he stopped at some travel agency place where I was told the hotels I wanted were booked up. Basically, I couldn't get out of that place until I agreed to purchase three nights lodging from the travel agency lady. As it turned out, the hotel was OK and the price was OK and I ended up staying there a few more weeks. Still, I felt I was scammed into staying at that hotel. What if I didn't like it?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its dead simple from the moment you get off the plane and not even got to customs ( to many cigs scam) and when you get outside ,( taxi cons )

you are a walking target for every con going they get you one way or another everyone gets conned.

no matter what they say , its just the amount you get conned out of 5 baht or 5mil baht you have still been conned

and this goes on

until you get back on the plane to go home (duty fee scams)

colino

Previous posters are right, there is a difference between rip offs and scams.

I think both are relevant on this thread though, as both are unacceptable and something everyone wants to avoid.

Also have to agree with other posters that its far easier if you live here to avoid the worst examples. Ex pats (generally) have a fairly good idea of when we are being ripped off or scammed financially. Plus, they have the advantage of knowing the local shops etc. so know the MANY shops/market stalls etc. who are run by decent people, not out to make their money by screwing the farang!

Tourists are more susceptible to being scammed 'cos they're on holiday and assume everyone is wonderful in a way they'd never do at home. (I used to be the same on holiday)

If the price of clothing or whatever is more than they'd pay at home, they won't pay it. Unfortunately that doesn't help people who live here as they will still pay more than they should which results in the seller automatically asking for a price way over the top - extremely annoying for us.

Anyway, the OP was right - its always useful to hear others warnings of scams and (IMO) rip-offs. Personally, I was v interested to learn that a T-shirt in Patong should only cost 150 baht - not for me, but for visiting friends.

Scam?

I don't know if they still do this or not, because I've been in the habit of using the metered taxis. Anyway, on my first trip in 2000, I just went with one of the "taxi" guys who was hanging around at the airport looking for a customer. Back then, it was 500 baht to Patong Beach. I knew I was going to Patong Beach, but didn't really have a hotel reservation, just a list of hotels. I figured one would have a vacancy, no problem. Well, I made the mistake of telling the driver I didn't have a hotel reservation, so, on the way to Patong he stopped at some travel agency place where I was told the hotels I wanted were booked up. Basically, I couldn't get out of that place until I agreed to purchase three nights lodging from the travel agency lady. As it turned out, the hotel was OK and the price was OK and I ended up staying there a few more weeks. Still, I felt I was scammed into staying at that hotel. What if I didn't like it?

This happened to me a few years ago. I had the phone number of my guest house on me. After being told they were closed, I rang them. They were open and expecting my check-in. I had to wait around for about 1 hour, dealing with all the lies and rubbish. Also, I think all the drivers share the commission because once I refused and said I will go to my guest house, my driver "helped" a passenger from another vehicle secure accommodation. I have since noticed the mini buses and airport taxis all stop at the same place (they must offer the best commission). I now get the driver from my guest house to pick me up.

I don't understand :) Why would anyone that has been to Phuket, ever go again? Do enjoy fighting off scammers? Just like being overcharged for anything and everything? Maybe you like the feel of people grabbing you and trying to pull you into a restaurant, massage parlor, shop house, bar, or tuk tuk? Could it be you just like dodging motorbikes doing 30 kmh down the sidewalk? Wouldn't it be easier, and more fun, to maybe,,, try someplace else?

good post. Good idea. Thailand is do much more than Phuket. Live a little, buy the Rough Guide and meet some real Thai people.

The Bog-Paper-Scam. :D

You all know what I mean. At any Somchai establishment there exists the enigma of why Somchai, who, after grudgingly providing a cracked toilet with no seat, (with bodged plumbing so that the water level is only just below the rim) decides that seeing as he doesn't wipe his own backside, doesn't see why you should, and steadfastly refuses to provide that symbol of all that is proper and decent to modern civilisation, Bog Paper. Happy is our Somchai to spend his mornings unblocking the u-bend, choked full of crumpled soiled pages from the Bangkok Post, rather than supply a few sheets of the white stuff....I really can't work it out... :)

Somchai: "Hah! Farang no hab get one on me!" (glug glug...rummage...gag..) :D

Perhaps 'Somchai' is a major shareholder of Jung Ceylon?

• 3 weeks later...

This is a new one on me. It's no big deal, but, who would ever have thought it was happening.

Been told by a Bar Girl about a little trick that is going on in most bars that she knows of. When you buy a "Lady Drink" the Bar Girl will excuse herself to go to the toilet just before you are about to finish your drink. Obviously, this will also be halfway through your conversation. She will take an unusually long time (several minutes) before she returns. The idea is, you will finish your drink, and, whilst waiting for her, you order another drink. She then returns to the bar. My friend (Bar Girl) tells me this is under instructions from the farang bar owner, (I will not name the bar) which, would sound right, because there is nothing in it for the Bar Girl if the farang buys himself another drink.

Out of curiosity, I kept an eye out for this one. I visited a few different Soi's and several bars. It could be a coincidence, but, it happened in about half the bars I bought a Lady Drink. It didn't happen on the second drink.

If the bar is quite big, with several girls, over a night, this little scam could net the bar owner quite a few extra sales.

This is a new one on me. It's no big deal, but, who would ever have thought it was happening.

Been told by a Bar Girl about a little trick that is going on in most bars that she knows of. When you buy a "Lady Drink" the Bar Girl will excuse herself to go to the toilet just before you are about to finish your drink. Obviously, this will also be halfway through your conversation. She will take an unusually long time (several minutes) before she returns. The idea is, you will finish your drink, and, whilst waiting for her, you order another drink. She then returns to the bar. My friend (Bar Girl) tells me this is under instructions from the farang bar owner, (I will not name the bar) which, would sound right, because there is nothing in it for the Bar Girl if the farang buys himself another drink.

Out of curiosity, I kept an eye out for this one. I visited a few different Soi's and several bars. It could be a coincidence, but, it happened in about half the bars I bought a Lady Drink. It didn't happen on the second drink.

If the bar is quite big, with several girls, over a night, this little scam could net the bar owner quite a few extra sales.

Not so much a scam but sensible business practice. No-one is forcing the punter to buy the second drink, and if he's feeling hard done by then he can quaff the lady drink in her absence.

The sooner you lot get out of this negative, scam-hunting mindset the better for everyone .... especially yourselves.

Not so much a scam but sensible business practice. No-one is forcing the punter to buy the second drink, and if he's feeling hard done by then he can quaff the lady drink in her absence.

The sooner you lot get out of this negative, scam-hunting mindset the better for everyone .... especially yourselves.

Like I said, it's no big deal, just interesting. I agree with you that no one is forcing the customer to purchase another drink, however, in the west, it is considered rude to leave any social interaction/conversation without saying goodbye, so, the customer will hang around to either pay the bar fine, or say goodbye. After a short wait, it's highly likely he will purchase another drink.

Where I disagree with you is that it is not sensible business practice, it's unethical business practice.

As far as scam hunting - "Knowledge is Power" and I will support the ethical businesses and avoid the others.

totally agree, try to enjoy life instead of worrying about it.

Not sure I understand this.. It means she only gets one LD for 2 of his drinks..

Surely drinking her drink and getting another works better for the girl and the bar.

I hardly see buying myself a drink as being a scam... I sure got scammed a lot yesterday if thats the case. :)

Edited by LivinLOS

Not sure I understand this.. It means she only gets one LD for 2 of his drinks..

Surely drinking her drink and getting another works better for the girl and the bar.

I hardly see buying myself a drink as being a scam... I sure got scammed a lot yesterday if thats the case. :D

sure I dont understand this one

I dont need some bar owners send their girls to toilet to make me buy more drinks for myself. I do it anyway :D

but a bar girl not present, probably misses some drinks I would have bought her :)

In fact it is not a rip-off at all, it is a business strategy favouring the customer.

He is welcomed to the bar with the usual prattle and cold towel where a lady-drink is politley reciprocated.

On approaching the end of his drink, she politely disappears for a while so he can order another fresh bevvy for himself with no pestering for more lady drinks.

By the time she reappears he is firmly ensconced chatting to other punters or preparing to check his bin. On soliciting another lady-drink he then explains "No; cannot. You go long time, you hab Thai boyfriend"

Please, name this bar, I want to go.

sure I dont understand this one

I dont need some bar owners send their girls to toilet to make me buy more drinks for myself. I do it anyway :D

but a bar girl not present, probably misses some drinks I would have bought her :)

I think the idea is that you buy yourself another drink, while you are waiting for her return, then, when she comes back, she quickly finishes her drink. Now, you have a full drink and she has no drink, so, I guess most would buy her another. No problem if you are "keen" but, if you were considering "check bin" you have now bought another drink. As said in a previous post, no obligation on the customer to do so, but, just a weird practice that I knew nothing about till recently. I guess it plays on the western culture of saying "goodbye" at the end of a meeting.

NamKangMan.

Please excuse my fatuous drivel from post#135, your views didn't warrant that.

BUT, I can't consider a scheme from which to make you buy more drinks to be a scam. These girls aren't there as wallpaper. We should, in that case, consider the inter-bar darts and pool tournaments as "scams" as they are in existence to sell booze, not, ostensibly, as jolly-good-fun for the expats who want a free trough.

During said tournaments one such bar in Nanai Road, I won't mention any names, without doubt "salted up" the free food for obvious reasons. Is that to be considered a scam? Don't think so, just normal, lawful business practice.

The Bog-Paper-Scam. :D

You all know what I mean. At any Somchai establishment there exists the enigma of why Somchai, who, after grudgingly providing a cracked toilet with no seat, (with bodged plumbing so that the water level is only just below the rim) decides that seeing as he doesn't wipe his own backside, doesn't see why you should, and steadfastly refuses to provide that symbol of all that is proper and decent to modern civilisation, Bog Paper. Happy is our Somchai to spend his mornings unblocking the u-bend, choked full of crumpled soiled pages from the Bangkok Post, rather than supply a few sheets of the white stuff....I really can't work it out... :)

Somchai: "Hah! Farang no hab get one on me!" (glug glug...rummage...gag..) :D

Perhaps 'Somchai' is a major shareholder of Jung Ceylon?

..mmm...you could have a good point there. The only time I can remember said facilities at JC’s was in one of the many eateries oop from the shipwreck model. I’d forgotten the cardinal rule of not having a good pony at the guesthouse that morning and the colon alarm bells were a’ringing. A quick Linford Christie sprint to the restaurant hong nam found me squatting on cold china seat with me foot firmly pressed against a door with no lock. Looking around...yep, no bog paper but there was a towel by the sink...mmm...

NamKangMan.

Please excuse my fatuous drivel from post#135, your views didn't warrant that.

BUT, I can't consider a scheme from which to make you buy more drinks to be a scam. These girls aren't there as wallpaper. We should, in that case, consider the inter-bar darts and pool tournaments as "scams" as they are in existence to sell booze, not, ostensibly, as jolly-good-fun for the expats who want a free trough.

During said tournaments one such bar in Nanai Road, I won't mention any names, without doubt "salted up" the free food for obvious reasons. Is that to be considered a scam? Don't think so, just normal, lawful business practice.

Ahh yes, that old chestnut.. The 'free beer nuts' scam..

Shocking I tells ya.. Shocking..

If your theory is correct then this farang bar owner must be a mug.

If it were a thai bar owner he would probably be directing her to go and get more drinks from some other silly farang, and not spend so much time with one person, rather have 3 or 4 going and get back to you later...

err..and thats when they come back to you 20 minutes later and say they talk with girlfirend/sister/ect... :)

In any case, by the knowledge bestowed upon us from sites like TV, it is common knowledge that all thai's think us farangs are stupid, and if we are indeed stupid enough to hang around these places paying spirit prices for iced water for a few minutes of a BG's attention (your story indicated you were not going to barfine her anyway)...som num na :D

No Einstein tactics or scams needed when farangs are around :D

edit: just to admit ive been scammed like this many a time and still goin back for more..doh

Edited by ozzieovaseas

In fact it is not a rip-off at all, it is a business strategy favouring the customer.

He is welcomed to the bar with the usual prattle and cold towel where a lady-drink is politley reciprocated.

On approaching the end of his drink, she politely disappears for a while so he can order another fresh bevvy for himself with no pestering for more lady drinks.

By the time she reappears he is firmly ensconced chatting to other punters or preparing to check his bin. On soliciting another lady-drink he then explains "No; cannot. You go long time, you hab Thai boyfriend"

Please, name this bar, I want to go.

brilliant

there is always an upside :)

When I go out, I'll have my fair share to drink. I was going to drink anyway, so, for the girl to stall my departure from the bar, or, stall me paying her bar fine, is just a waste of my time. As said previously, it's no big deal, as I went out to drink anyway, but, just interesting that this practice exists.

• 2 months later...

I recently returned to Phuket from abroad. I was shocked at the amount of touts, lined up right into the baggage collection area all the way to outside the airport. Had to be at least 30 of them trying to sell you everthing. Come on Phuket, the last thing that you anyone needs after a long flight is to run this kind ²of guantlet. I have never seen this at any other airports here in THailand or abroad. It really makes me feel uneasy.

QUOTE (stevenl @ 2010-02-04 15:10:48) Why would somebody who has taken an airport taxi, limousine or meter taxi, have been scammed? He paid more than in other places in Thailand, but that is not a scam.

There's a fair bit of collusion going on at Phuket Airport between the airport taxis. I have heard they are keeping away the metered taxis through threats and intimidation. These days, you hardly see any and there is a que for the ones that do roll up. I now get my guest house driver at 600 baht which I am happy to pay. The last I heard, an airport limo was 1100 baht and even more if you answered, "Yes" to the question, "First time to Thailand." As we all know, they are not a limo, there are just a Toyota Camry. I used to get the minibus for 150 baht, which was no problem for me, but then they started stopping at a travel agency halfway to Patong and selling hotel rooms to backpackers and telling me, and others, their hotel had a fire and is closed blah blah blah. I see your point, but, there are some scams running out of Phuket Airport.

Land of Smiles??? What do people do when they smile? They show their teeth don't they!!! Beware of everyone in Thailand when money is involved - Farang or Thai.

Just for the record, I would be really happy if Thailand went back to the way it was when it was given the title, "Land of Smiles." We all know it has changed and you now have to be on your guard. We have all seen the decline in friendliness and tollerance on the island, and Thailand in general, and the increase in collusion, price fixing, theft and violence. I certainly don't want to be scammed, or see anyone else scammed.

I concede, there will always be scams and the criminal element in society, but, if by gaining extra knowledge on these scams you can avoid them, well, that's a good result.

Been told by a Bar Girl about a little trick that is going on in most bars that she knows of etc etc

That 'scam' would not work with me. I'd be more likely to finish off her drink in her absence, rather than pay for a second for myself :)

Simon

Been told by a Bar Girl about a little trick that is going on in most bars that she knows of etc etc

That 'scam' would not work with me. I'd be more likely to finish off her drink in her absence, rather than pay for a second for myself :)

Simon

That's funny, but, chances are it's probably just orange juice mixed with coconut juice and billed to you as a malibu and orange.

Having said that, I like your thinking. :D

Land of Smiles??? What do people do when they smile? They show their teeth don't they!!! Beware of everyone in Thailand when money is involved - Farang or Thai.

Just for the record, I would be really happy if Thailand went back to the way it was when it was given the title, "Land of Smiles." We all know it has changed and you now have to be on your guard. We have all seen the decline in friendliness and tollerance on the island, and Thailand in general, and the increase in collusion, price fixing, theft and violence. I certainly don't want to be scammed, or see anyone else scammed.

I concede, there will always be scams and the criminal element in society, but, if by gaining extra knowledge on these scams you can avoid them, well, that's a good result.

Godd point smiling could be seen as a sign of aggression in certain situations. Maybe

why Thai's seem to smile at westerners so much.

I don't understand blink.gif Why would anyone that has been to Phuket, ever go again? Do enjoy fighting off scammers? Just like being overcharged for anything and everything? Maybe you like the feel of people grabbing you and trying to pull you into a restaurant, massage parlor, shop house, bar, or tuk tuk? Could it be you just like dodging motorbikes doing 30 kmh down the sidewalk? Wouldn't it be easier, and more fun, to maybe,,, try someplace else?

I think it depends on the person. Some people are prone to getting scammed. I have never really been scammed in Phuket. I rented a brand new CBR 600 for a few days with no problems.