Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand.

NamKangMan

Somehow this "scam" is "authorized" and most of the Thais have purple shirts with numbers on them...probably so the police can identify just how many "permits" they are entitled to charge for.

Precisely.. The jackets were started so it was easier for police handlers to see which of the standover artists were paying the kickback and hence were easier to 'tax'.

Also of course the implication is once paying the police for the vest, they have semi police backing for roughing up tourists and ripping them off. In seadragon and soi happy the current favourite is to simply walk close and claim they brought in any group hapless enough to be going in alone.

The vests made them too obvious tho and were dropped a while back, not sure if they have started again as I hardly ever hit bangla these days. Just way too much of this kind of (unfair) game to be able to relax and enjoy.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Precisely.. The jackets were started so it was easier for police handlers to see which of the standover artists were paying the kickback and hence were easier to 'tax'.

Also of course the implication is once paying the police for the vest, they have semi police backing for roughing up tourists and ripping them off. In seadragon and soi happy the current favourite is to simply walk close and claim they brought in any group hapless enough to be going in alone.

The vests made them too obvious tho and were dropped a while back, not sure if they have started again as I hardly ever hit bangla these days. Just way too much of this kind of (unfair) game to be able to relax and enjoy.

...and just a quick note.

Dont be tempted to "help out" a group of unsuspecting tourists about to be lured into one of these Go Go's by telling them to flip the card to check prices.

Unless you went to the Carl Lewis school of self defense...or just fancy some extreme running.

any minor damage then just stop at any small motorbike shop and they will repair for a couple of hundred baht. A regular mirror costs at most 200 baht, fitted.

Hindsight, i know, now because i'm used to these little money making scams i would have done exactly what you said, replace the mirror, the most annoying thing was that i'm sure i seen the policeman i got involved take his share of the 5000 baht, 100 pound at the current exchange rate for a 5 pound mirror, The up side is i bought a second hand bike and it runs perfect for 12,000 baht as he had to leave thailand ASAP, with green book and full service, i'm learning quick, thanks again for helpful advice

any minor damage then just stop at any small motorbike shop and they will repair for a couple of hundred baht. A regular mirror costs at most 200 baht, fitted.

Hindsight, i know, now because i'm used to these little money making scams i would have done exactly what you said, replace the mirror, the most annoying thing was that i'm sure i seen the policeman i got involved take his share of the 5000 baht, 100 pound at the current exchange rate for a 5 pound mirror, The up side is i bought a second hand bike and it runs perfect for 12,000 baht as he had to leave thailand ASAP, with green book and full service, i'm learning quick, thanks again for helpful advice

P.S just to add a thought to the scam mungers out there, i think we have to include the lawyers on phuket, some of the prices they charge for the simplest things are really the big scams on the island, what i have found out in the short time i've been here even as a woman here, i have saved a fortune on costs researching and running around myself, to places like the land office, companys house, car and bike registration buildings, immigration, my car to register via a garage was nearly 5000 baht (100 pound) i said"can't be" so off i went to phuket town to register my car myself, made sure i had all the relivant paperwork done and dusted, wait for not the 5000 baht but a modest 580 baht, are these not the real scams by so called honest dealers and government officials

Theres plenty of things that are outright scams, and denying it only makes you look foolish or ignorant.

Yes you always need to be on your guard, but why, if Thais are such honest straight shooting individuals, do you need to be on your guard, paying each drink individually, checking the price isnt 10x too high ??? Why is that the advice if the fact is there are not these exact same scams pulled every night on those that dont check. You cant say 'you should be more aware' and that 'scams dont exist' if they dont exist why the advice to be so guarded?

Look at the common advice to always have to make sure every pump attendant has reset the pump.. The patong place used to pull this all day every day on people.. Even catching out the occasional hawk eyed expat who simply forgot or let his guard down for 10 seconds. Everyone knows they do it, you couldnt call it anything but a scam, yet some posters here have their head in the sand making like nothing like this goes on.

I dont think you do always need to be on your guard. Just avoid obvious situations where there are people out who might take advantage of you.

If you hang around with whores then chances of being scammed are relatively high. In the same way if you hand around in underground stations in New York you may also get robbed/scammed. Isnt that just common sense? There are some more intricate scams which have been posted on here but they arent exactly rife.

In regards to the petrol scam I read that on here months and months ago and since then have always checked that the pump is reset to zero. Ive started to get bored of checking now though, maybe one day in 8 months time I will get scammed out of 200 baht but I think I will just accept that and carry on enjoying my day.

Theres plenty of things that are outright scams, and denying it only makes you look foolish or ignorant.

Yes you always need to be on your guard, but why, if Thais are such honest straight shooting individuals, do you need to be on your guard, paying each drink individually, checking the price isnt 10x too high ??? Why is that the advice if the fact is there are not these exact same scams pulled every night on those that dont check. You cant say 'you should be more aware' and that 'scams dont exist' if they dont exist why the advice to be so guarded?

Look at the common advice to always have to make sure every pump attendant has reset the pump.. The patong place used to pull this all day every day on people.. Even catching out the occasional hawk eyed expat who simply forgot or let his guard down for 10 seconds. Everyone knows they do it, you couldnt call it anything but a scam, yet some posters here have their head in the sand making like nothing like this goes on.

Peterocket:

I dont think you do always need to be on your guard. Just avoid obvious situations where there are people out who might take advantage of you.

If you hang around with whores then chances of being scammed are relatively high. In the same way if you hand around in underground stations in New York you may also get robbed/scammed. Isnt that just common sense? There are some more intricate scams which have been posted on here but they arent exactly rife.

In regards to the petrol scam I read that on here months and months ago and since then have always checked that the pump is reset to zero. Ive started to get bored of checking now though, maybe one day in 8 months time I will get scammed out of 200 baht but I think I will just accept that and carry on enjoying my day.

[/quot

NamKangMan:

"I don't think you do always need to be on your guard. Just avoid obvious situations...."

My question to you is: By "avoiding obvious situations" does that not mean you are on your guard, everyday????

In my experience, a "whore" as you call them, has never stolen from me. Then again, because I am "guarded" I have never left my wallet, phone, watch etc laying around.

I have no fear for my personal saftey on Phuket, other than road safety. I think it is safe here, BUT, you are relieveved of your cash in non-violent and deceiving ways. In relation to the bar girls, bill padding etc is rife. There is no doubt about it.

Most expats factor in being the victim of the odd scam into their lifestyle. Just like you have done with the petrol pump. However, a problem will arise, one day, when you haven't had a chance to go to the bank, you roll up to the petrol pump and say, "Full kup." You only have 100 baht on you, which you know is enough, but he says, "200 baht." Now, you have a problem.

There have been many posts on here that would say this is the farang's fault, but, is it? Would the petrol guy have done it to a Thai???? I doubt it. He has, non-violently, effectively, stolen 100 baht from you. If he attacked you in order to rob you, you could defend yourself, but, because it's hard to be guarded for 24/7 and for every single daily transaction, you get scammed. Does the loss of 100 baht ruin your day, no, BUT, do you change your behaviour, such as, fill up at another pump, double check the pump reset etc, yes, you do, because it's evolutionary human naure not to be a victim and/or to support ethical business. It is this "change of behaviour" that is a sad fact of existence, as a expat living in Thailand, in order to minimise being a victim of a scam.

One example, mentioned above, "pay as you go for drinks" so you can avoid being a victim of bill padding. Many expats do this now. Sad thing is, they used to run "a bill." They have "adapted" themselves to the practice of bill padding, thus, the Thai's have forced a "change of behaviour." It's this change of behaviour that is, psycologically, "guarding" and, in my opinion, you need it in Phuket to avoid being scammed.

Just about everyone on this forum knows not to catch a tuk-tuk on Phuket. So, same thing, what have we done, we live walking distance, or hire/buy a bike or a car. There are many examples of how expats have guarded themselves against scams, my point being, it's sad that you have to, and for just about every single transaction/interaction. It used to be just Thai's scamming farang, but now I also see farang scamming farang.

Look at your daily actions more closely and you will see you are more guarded here than you think.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

I guard against scams in any country, i dont blame it on 'The Thais' as you put it. I wouldnt pay a builder up front in England, or loiter in the underground, or hang around street corners in Compton etc etc. For me nothing is different here and I havent been scammed as far as I know...touch wood. Plus I do go to 'bars' in Patong approximately once a month in a Tuk Tuk which would seem to be the sort of place where people are most likely to be scammed according to all these posts.

The Tuk Tuk costs me 400 baht, i organise it before i get in, drive for 25 minutes and I pay him when I get out...not a scam just expensive. Done it many times.

Out of interest, and im not being argumentative, what do you call girls that take money for sex. I got the impression that you thought I had given them the wrong name.

My dear friend, who I haven't seen for a while, if a pump attendant persistantly doesn't reset the pump then that is blatant theft and thus "a scam". Similar to bike or car service agents who help themselves to your petrol when you leave your vehicle in their safe custody for a while. Let them see you photographing the gauge beforehand.

I guard against scams in any country, i dont blame it on 'The Thais' as you put it. I wouldnt pay a builder up front in England, or loiter in the underground, or hang around street corners in Compton etc etc. For me nothing is different here and I havent been scammed as far as I know...touch wood. Plus I do go to 'bars' in Patong approximately once a month in a Tuk Tuk which would seem to be the sort of place where people are most likely to be scammed according to all these posts.

The Tuk Tuk costs me 400 baht, i organise it before i get in, drive for 25 minutes and I pay him when I get out...not a scam just expensive. Done it many times.

Out of interest, and im not being argumentative, what do you call girls that take money for sex. I got the impression that you thought I had given them the wrong name.

I'm confused about what is a scam and what is not, if you get overcharged on a item or a Tuk Tuk, isn't it that you simply haven't done your research and found out the average price.

so many guys i know prioritise in so many conflicting ways, this and that is to expensive i'm getting scammed or ripped off, clearly things they need, but the things they want, ie girls, beer, nightlife, oh that becomes justified and value for money, what is a pound of flesh worth these days????, i don't think you have to avoid anything, simple ask, how much, listen, and if you don't agree say no!!!!, some boys without there ex wifes or mother are lost!!!

I'm confused about what is a scam and what is not, if you get overcharged on a item or a Tuk Tuk, isn't it that you simply haven't done your research and found out the average price.

so many guys i know prioritise in so many conflicting ways, this and that is to expensive i'm getting scammed or ripped off, clearly things they need, but the things they want, ie girls, beer, nightlife, oh that becomes justified and value for money, what is a pound of flesh worth these days????, i don't think you have to avoid anything, simple ask, how much, listen, and if you don't agree say no!!!!, some boys without there ex wifes or mother are lost!!!

This has been a source of debate, earlier in this thread.

In my opinion, transport, on Phuket, is an essential service. It is common knowledge that the tuk-tuks collude to set an inflated, minimum price, even for the shortest of journeys. For expats, I would say it's not a scam, it's just a criminal enterprise, with a monopoly, which is manipulating the market price. For the first time tourist, I would say they are being scammed because, they get a price of 200 baht from several drivers, and then think this is what must be the cost of transport on the island. Now, whether you are an expat, or a tourist, when the tuk-tuk stops in the middle of the journey, in a dark, quiet place, and the driver demands more money for the journey - this is definately a scam.

I used to "shop around" a bit in the markets, but, haggling, in the hot sun, is hard work. Sometimes, a ridiculous price would be thrown at you, and even as I laugh and walk off, they then throw a fair price at me, but, too late, you have lost my business as soon as you tried to rip me off. It's a shame, because I am aware of the impact of globalisation on small business, worldwide. Anyway, if the ques at Carrefour and Tesco are anything to go by, I think many expats find it easier to shop where you know the price up-front and you know it's a fair market price. Also, no two teird pricing in these places. Farang pay the same as Thai's.

"I don't think you do need to be on your guard" - "I guard against scams in any country" - Peterocket 2010.

Which one is it? Are you on your guard in Thailand, or not????????

I'm not racist, so, if you think I am blaming the Thai's, just because they are Thai, you are wrong. If I blame the Thai's, because I live in Thailand, and all farang are fair game for a

rip-off/scam, then, yes, I blame the Thai people for their own, eventual, financial demise as the word gets around about their particular establishment/business. Eg: bars, bike/car hire businesses, jet skis, tuk-tuks etc etc etc etc etc etc. Having said that, there are dodgy farang here as well. The Absolute Group with the scratch cards is one that comes to mind.

I call the girls that have money for sex, "Bar Girls."

Edited by NamKangMan

"I don't think you do need to be on your guard" - "I guard against scams in any country" - Peterocket 2010.

I'm not racist, so, if you think I am blaming the Thai's, just because they are Thai, you are wrong. If I blame the Thai's, because I live in Thailand, and all farang are fair game for a

rip-off/scam, then, yes, I blame the Thai people for their own, eventual, financial demise as the word gets around about their particular establishment/business. Eg: bars, bike/car hire businesses, jet skis, tuk-tuks etc etc etc etc etc etc. Having said that, there are dodgy farang here as well. The Absolute Group with the scratch cards is one that comes to mind.

Sorry I did contradict myself....basically I can avoid scams using common sense, Im not guarding at all, I shouldnt have written that.

I'll leave it at that anyway. The Thais have probably conjured up some new scams in the time it has taken me to write this.

Bar Girls...was I rude?

Sorry I did contradict myself....basically I can avoid scams using common sense, Im not guarding at all, I shouldnt have written that.

I'll leave it at that anyway. The Thais have probably conjured up some new scams in the time it has taken me to write this.

Bar Girls...was I rude?

No probs. You call it "common sense" but, it could be called "being guarded" or "staying sharp" or many other names. The fact is, you need to have it in Thailand, to avoid, or minimise, being scammed and/or ripped off, whether for a few baht, thousands of baht.

The whole idea I had in mind, when starting this thread, was to have a mechanism whereby anyone who had recently been done over by a new scam, could post it and make others aware of it. They are evolving.

So far, for me, the most interesting scam was a post, ages ago, by a guy who found out his room/apartment/bungalow was wired up to also pay for other lighting on the property. I haven't heard of this before and I am sure that room he was in would always be reserved for farang. :)

Edited by NamKangMan

Haven't the slightest idea why you included two separate quotes regarding bar tarts to then go on and rant about scams per sehuh.gif Relevance?

The reason is you claim anything that happens in the bars is basically deserved and not scams.. And then I list a few things that are clearly scams..

And you haven't "the slightest idea" about any connection between the two ??

Anyway.. Half of the defenders are saying people should just be more aware, the other half say scams dont really happen.. How do those two viewpoints reconcile ?

Hit a raw nerve did I? Try to comprehend, tourists being charged 1k for tuk tuk to Phuket town = scam. Silly old man entering establishment with lots of scantily clad tarts, offering way overpriced beverages and er, pingpong shows and the like = stupid twt deserving everything he gets. Gottit?:)

No probs. You call it "common sense" but, it could be called "being guarded" or "staying sharp" or many other names. The fact is, you need to have it in Thailand, to avoid, or minimise, being scammed and/or ripped off, whether for a few baht, thousands of baht.

Case in point.. My mother came here to try to live.. Your typical older lady, very trusting, sees good in everyone etc..

It was a disaster, she was constantly ripped off, given insane prices for things, knocked off a bike and blamed for it, heavily threatened by aggressive sellers once, etc etc. She got so freaked out by everything it was borderline nervous breakdown, scared to go out, scared to talk to people etc. Sadly many people sense fear and nervousness and take advantage, 200 baht slices of watermelon spring to mind etc.

Of course, she should have asked for every price first, she should have been guarded and careful, she should know to watch every petrol pump, but she didnt and to suggest its like that everywhere simply isnt true. She wasnt used to it, and it was too much for her. 9 months later she left soured by the whole thing.

Hit a raw nerve did I? Try to comprehend, tourists being charged 1k for tuk tuk to Phuket town = scam. Silly old man entering establishment with lots of scantily clad tarts, offering way overpriced beverages and er, pingpong shows and the like = stupid twt deserving everything he gets. Gottit?:)

So in your world, if it happens in a bar where 'scantily clad tarts' are.. Then anything they do to the customer is fair game ??

some boys without there ex wifes or mother are lost!!!

Do you really think it's only men that get scammed? Are women somehow immune?

As most of this thread seems to centre on men getting all irate over being taken by bar tarts I would say it seems (to the men at any rate) that they are the victims of these 'scams', which I have pointed out, are not. If you're a dyke, you might argue, again erroneously, that you too are being 'scammed' by a proportion of the 'entertainment' industry whose raison detre is to lie, 'scam'.

How long before this sinks in to those who simply will not accept they are paying for 'company', who can tell?

Edited by evanson

Hit a raw nerve did I? Try to comprehend, tourists being charged 1k for tuk tuk to Phuket town = scam. Silly old man entering establishment with lots of scantily clad tarts, offering way overpriced beverages and er, pingpong shows and the like = stupid twt deserving everything he gets. Gottit?:D

So in your world, if it happens in a bar where 'scantily clad tarts' are.. Then anything they do to the customer is fair game ??

Come on. Give it up. You're just making yourself look silly now.:)

If you're a dyke, you might argue, again erroneously, that you too are being 'scammed' by a proportion of the 'entertainment' industry whose raison detre is to lie, 'scam'.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I really don't know what you mean by this.

As most of this thread seems to centre on men getting all irate over being taken by bar tarts I would say it seems (to the men at any rate) that they are the victims of these 'scams', which I have pointed out, are not. If you're a dyke, you might argue, again erroneously, that you too are being 'scammed' by a proportion of the 'entertainment' industry whose raison detre is to lie, 'scam'.

How long before this sinks in to those who simply will not accept they are paying for 'company', who can tell?

Which posts on here talked about being scammed over the process of paying for company ??

The vast majority of the complaints are stemming from genuine scams outside P4P.

Come on. Give it up. You're just making yourself look silly now.:)

Not at all.. your the one claiming anyone that visits a bar where scantily clad tarts are (which I would estimate to be the majority of bars and deffinately the majority in Patong) are stupid <deleted> deserving everything they get.

I say thats a case of biting the hand that feeds.

The only genuine scam here i have come across is the people who come around collecting money for charity organizations

If you ask for a receipt they give you one with no carbon copy and no number on it.

The wife got caught yesterday , she was given the usual (B/S) about the money going to help poor children and sick dogs.

No receipt just a small booklet with discount vouchers for discounts of beauty salons and a bar but no mention of the price

they were discounting.

The only genuine scam here i have come across is the people who come around collecting money for charity organizations

If you ask for a receipt they give you one with no carbon copy and no number on it.

The wife got caught yesterday , she was given the usual (B/S) about the money going to help poor children and sick dogs.

No receipt just a small booklet with discount vouchers for discounts of beauty salons and a bar but no mention of the price

they were discounting.

Yeah I used to be in a large villa above patong, which was a magnet for these kind of people, we would have (presumed fake) collectors around about once per week, the hard thing was if they were pretend monks, my missus simply cant say no.. Also used to annoy the hel_l out of me that they would not ring the gates bell but walk up into the private pool area, and sometimes right into the house, without knocking asking anything !!

One time with a monk, to get rid I was prepared to just pay 100 baht to get him gone.. Give him the 100 and he pulls out the donation book saying no no no.. And the front sheet of all the donations are 1000b 5000b with the lowest being 500b as tho that was the minimum acceptable donation.. I just laughed and sent him on his way.

But those are just the small ones.. What about the board member on here whose lawyer was handling a property sale and transferred the multi million baht payment over but 'forgot' to get the deed signed, of course the Thai vanished and the lawyer just said 'oops'..

I cant count the amount of businesses that have had their staff caught ripping them off, skimming side deals, etc its just par for the course.. If anyone thinks that the same level of fraud and theft happens back home I think they are dreaming.

Hi guys, lets get out that brush and tar every Thai girl with it, what a attitude to have, how many of you watch a program on TV if you don't like it, do go to the places where one members states there "tarts" please!!!!!!, thats some bodys daughter!!!!

I can take you to many wine bars in the UK and a night out with the girls, what makes the Thai girls look tame.

All i'm hearing is excuse after excuse, how many of you walk out of tesco lotus after shopping and complain, not many because you knew the price of any item you bought before hand.

People collecting money, the UK's a perfect example of that in droves

I just simple amazed at all the wiindging and nit picking about Thailand, theres a plane every hour to get yous out of here.

I cant count the amount of businesses that have had their staff caught ripping them off, skimming side deals, etc its just par for the course.. If anyone thinks that the same level of fraud and theft happens back home I think they are dreaming.

Yep, all levels from the bottom oop. I was a regular at a guest house in the Soi Andaman Square area, Patong. The receptionist on the front desk was a Somchai called Wit who would take 'guest' fees from farangs that bought their slappers back from the bars/wherever. There was never any 'guest' fee as the house was 'guest friendly' viz, no fee payable. I never said anything as he let me spend ages on the internet for no fee and was a good source of local information, etc. I returned one year and he was gone...reason? he got too greedy.

Hi guys, lets get out that brush and tar every Thai girl with it, what a attitude to have, how many of you watch a program on TV if you don't like it, do go to the places where one members states there "tarts" please!!!!!!, thats some bodys daughter!!!!

I can take you to many wine bars in the UK and a night out with the girls, what makes the Thai girls look tame.

All i'm hearing is excuse after excuse, how many of you walk out of tesco lotus after shopping and complain, not many because you knew the price of any item you bought before hand.

People collecting money, the UK's a perfect example of that in droves

I just simple amazed at all the wiindging and nit picking about Thailand, theres a plane every hour to get yous out of here.

I am not a winger about people who are genuinely collecting money for a genuine charity and give a genuine receipt .

I object to people who claim to be working for a genuine charity and are putting the money in there own pocket..

You need to get you facts straight and put your mind in gear before you open your mouth.

I am not a winger about people who are genuinely collecting money for a genuine charity and give a genuine receipt .

I object to people who claim to be working for a genuine charity and are putting the money in there own pocket..

You need to get you facts straight and put your mind in gear before you open your mouth.

Thailand is no different to any other country anywhere, a money collector will have a ID card relating to there organisation, No ID card, no money for them, now i agree they can be fake ID cards, thats different, thats a scam, when was the last time you paid a utility bill to the place that didn't represent that company, same theory!!!

Who make a car or bike payment to joe bloggs on a street corner, if they do and get ripped off, it's stupid bugger not you've been scammed