Converting Us Travellers Checks To Us Cash In Bangkok

andrewryan108

Someone may have a better option, but I think even if you are able to do the transaction in the one go, it will go through Baht, which will surely attract fees or just conversion losses.

So are you saying that that you have too much in US$ T.C's and are wanting to change it back to US Cash before leaving Thailand?

Agree with the above post...............More info needed?

The reason is that I am going to Siem Reap, where they charge 2 per cent on travellers checks.

I would save a little going from US travellers checks (paying the 33 or 43 baht or whatever it is) and losing a little from dollars to baht and again from baht to dollars,

but perhaps there is a better cheaper or easier way in the big city, Bangkok.

Your going to lose a lot of money on that deal. What is the whole story, are you going to another country and need US dollars if so Burma will take Thai baht as well as laos. Good Luck

This whole lot amounts to less as 2%-if done wisely. Can do the calculation quite easy by noting the buy/sell rates for TC/cash en subtracting the 33 Bt.fee.

More likely-if you come with a TC for 100-the bank will give you a 100US$ and ask for about 50/60 bt in extra payment.

Note that the most comon exchange offices streetside/in the tourist areas only do buy foreign curency and will not sell.

If its a very large amount-go to near WTC/Rajprasong and use Superrich for buying the cash with the cash Baht you got from a bank round the corner (they do not deal in TC)

most commonly unprepared people ask this as they may go to Cambodia or Myanmar=Birma, where cash US$ is the main currency for larger amounts-in Myanm any amount.

Go to the Head Office of Bangkok Bank, 333 Silom Road. At the east end of the lobby, go up to the 2nd floor and turn right. They have US cash and other foreign cash on the premises. I don't know what they would charge you, but I think their rate is as good as any.

Looking at superrich's website and bangkok banks as well, it would seem that the foreign exchange cost would be just under half a percent, plus of course the travellers check 33 baht fee, so that would seem to be the answer to my question and I thank you.

It is actually for next time, this time it is only my own personal expenses for a few days, so happy to pay the 2 per cent fee at a siem reap bank. Other options include western union at about 4 per cent, carrying a lot of cash (but would not want to walk through Poipet immigration with too much, would not want to declare over $10,000 in cash ), I am not sure what a bank to bank transfer would cost but I guess that is something for me to look into.

So again, thank you.