American Products

John K

I am looking to find American products here in Bangkok. I know you can get Dial soap at Tokyu at MBK, and Head and shoulders shampoo just about anyplace. I am looking to find Gold Bond Medicated powder. It has zinc oxide in and that works very good. It’s the same stuff in diaper rash cream. The St Lukes is good but has a lot of other things in it too. If anyone has spotted any other American products please list them here and where you can get them. And that would include a good old six pack of Bud. Thanks.

I am looking to find American products here in Bangkok. I know you can get Dial soap at Tokyu at MBK, and Head and shoulders shampoo just about anyplace. I am looking to find Gold Bond Medicated powder. It has zinc oxide in and that works very good. It’s the same stuff in diaper rash cream.  The St Lukes is good but has a lot of other things in it too. If anyone has spotted any other American products please list them here and where you can get them. And that would include a good old six pack of Bud. Thanks.

Why would you want to buy anything American? :o

I am looking to find American products here in Bangkok. I know you can get Dial soap at Tokyu at MBK, and Head and shoulders shampoo just about anyplace. I am looking to find Gold Bond Medicated powder. It has zinc oxide in and that works very good. It’s the same stuff in diaper rash cream.  The St Lukes is good but has a lot of other things in it too. If anyone has spotted any other American products please list them here and where you can get them. And that would include a good old six pack of Bud. Thanks.

Why would you want to buy anything American? :o

I know where he is coming from, as once you find a product that really works, you really miss it when you have to use something that is not as good.

Except for the Beer that is….Bud = brown colored water = nats pee :D

Why would you want to buy anything American? :D

I know where he is coming from, as once you find a product that really works, you really miss it when you have to use something that is not as good.

Except for the Beer that is….Bud = brown colored water = nats pee :D

Actually, I find that the locally manufactured Head & Shoulders is BETTER than the UK manufactured stuff. Seems to be the same with a lot of things, the UK (and probably the US as well) legislation bans so many of the ingredients that make them work.

Agree 100% on the beer, in the UK the Trades Descriptions Act prevents Bud being called 'beer' :D

God, I could murder a nice juicy piece of real atlantic cod, fried in lard, with masses of chips all wrapped in a Bolton Evening News :D

Sorry I'm not being much help with the US products :o

Seriously, have a word with your local pharmacist (not in Tesco's,of the larger specilist pharmacies), if you have a sample of your zinc-oxide powder he should be able to find a local equivalent with similar ingredients, 'twill be about 10% of the cost as well.

And that would include a good old six pack of Bud. Thanks.

I don't know where you can buy the Buds, but do know how you can come up with something similar.

Most Thai "hostess" bars like to fill your beer with ice. Order a Heineken and let the ice melt... tastes just like Budweiser! :o

Boots seems to have a good supply of western products but a little pricey. As for Bud ie: Redneck Champagne? Why would someone torture themselves with something so nasty when you have so many better choices in Thailand? Next you'll be achin' for some good ol fashioned Nascar or wrestlin'. :o:D:D

Next you'll be achin' for some good ol fashioned Nascar or wrestlin'. 

Or Dukes of Hazzard & Hee Haw re-runs? :o

What's been mentioned is right-on though w/respect to beer. You'll find even the roughest (to me) Singha, better than Bud.

Beer Chang is the favored in Thailand - local brew.

Hey,

I thought I saw the "gold bond" powder in Care four and lotus, but I could be wrong. About The "bud", some dude with a new bar in buriram claims to have it but I wouldn't know for sure as I never liked it. I'm not the bigest fan of american products but I would say that a great big newyork strip steak from a good Montana ranch would be hard to beat anywhere on this planet.

cheers,

bradda

p.s. isn't that powder the stuff that makes you feel like someone set fire to your your magic johnson.... whooow nelly!! :o

p.s. isn't that powder the stuff that makes you feel like someone set fire to your your magic johnson.... whooow nelly!! :o

Only if you have open sores.......

Yes that is the stuff. There are 3 types and I did bring a bunch from the USA. The extra strength is the one that sets the fire but that is the menthol in it. The dial soap is antibacterial, and I did not find any local brands that did the same. I am surprised in that antibacterial soaps are a solid first line of defense for syphilis and gonorrhea if you wash right after sex. Did anyone spot crest toothpaste?

Yes that is the stuff. There are 3 types and I did bring a bunch from the USA. The extra strength is the one that sets the fire but that is the menthol in it. The dial soap is antibacterial, and I did not find any local brands that did the same. I am surprised in that antibacterial soaps are a solid first line of defense for syphilis and gonorrhea if you wash right after sex. Did anyone spot crest toothpaste?

If you can't find antibacterial soap locally, you're not looking hard enough. They are available throughout the Kingdom, in even the smallest hole-in-the-wall pharmacy in the boonies. Just ask.

The medicated powders are all here, too. Part of the culture to use the stuff here, it seems. I prefer the Parrot brand.

And that would include a good old six pack of Bud. Thanks.

Gag. That piss water? You've ensured that nobody's gonna help and you've let people remain ignorant that there are some decent brews produced in 'Mercuh.

OK, make it Sam Adams Boston Ale or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I'll go out and look around for you.

Edited by JSixpack

It's been twenty+ years since I last tasted a Frito's Cornchip :o ..... Do they still make them? Anyone seen them in Thailand?

I saw doritos cheese nachos chips at the villa market on sukhumvit soi 2. but they were expensive. they had some "lookalikes" that went for 49 baht, but didn't try them.

yeah. frito cornchips. hehehe. I recall eating a bag of frito cornchips within like 10 minutes when I was back in the states last june. boy! are they good. I remember it was $2.50 for a big bag of them.

I heard they have this new pizza parlor down sukhumvit soi 2 where the pizza is just as good as that made in new york. I heard this from a new yorker too. the cheese 12 inch went for about 190 baht.

so, when is someone going to open up a taco bell? I'm still waiting.....

Okay perhaps your right about the Bud. The micro brews are okay too, but even they are hard to find. Stickman has been doing some restaurant profiles in recent weeks so a look see there may be helpful. There is one other thing I do miss but more for the sound. A hog just running down the road. Nothing at all like the sound of a Harley, It puts the toys around here to shame.

There is one other thing I do miss but more for the sound. A hog just running down the road. Nothing at all like the sound of a Harley, It puts the toys around here to shame.

There are quite a few hogs in Pattaya, where you can get one of them into second gear at least. Hang around the Tahitian Queen Go-Go on Beach Road, home of the Jesters MC.

http://www.tahitianqueen.com/

http://www.jestersmc.com/

Edited by JSixpack

If you can't find antibacterial soap locally, you're not looking hard enough. They are available throughout the Kingdom, in even the smallest hole-in-the-wall pharmacy in the boonies. Just ask.

The medicated powders are all here, too. Part of the culture to use the stuff here, it seems. I prefer the Parrot brand.

Try "Dettol Antibacterial soap"or liquid. It's been a very good old brand in Thailand and I used to know this brand since I was young. YOu can find in good pharmacie like Boots Shop. Dial soap used to be popular in Bkk for the last 30 yrs ago. There are lots of good trademarks for antibacterial stuff like powders too..like Pricky Heats. But Dettol is quite a good thing you can have in thailand.

Don't you just love it when typos are so apt for Thailand:-

"There are lots of good trademarks for antibacterial stuff like powders too..like Pricky Heats. But Dettol is quite a good thing you can have in thailand."

:o:D:D

It's been twenty+ years since I last tasted a Frito's Cornchip :o ..... Do they still make them? Anyone seen them in Thailand?

ain't nothin' like a freshly opened bag of Fritos...right up there with a freshly opened carton of Knudsen's full fat small curd cottage cheese(yellow carton)...

don't know about Thailand but you can get Fritos here in Bahrain (says 'for export' on the bag)...maybe if you looked in the 'gormay foods' section of Foodland; nothing less would befit the the king of snack foods...

cottage cheese lovers please note, here in the Gulf there is a product called Breakstones...almost as good as Knudsens...highly recommended if sighted in Thailand...

warm corn tortilla layered with Knudsens with a dollop of La Victoria Salsa Ranchera...I would kill for it, I would...

ain't nothin' like a freshly opened bag of Fritos...right up there with a freshly opened carton of Knudsen's full fat small curd cottage cheese(yellow carton)...

don't know about Thailand but you can get Fritos here in Bahrain (says 'for export' on the bag)...maybe if you looked in the 'gormay foods' section of Foodland; nothing less would befit the the king of snack foods...

cottage cheese lovers please note, here in the Gulf there is a product called Breakstones...almost as good as Knudsens...highly recommended if sighted in Thailand...

warm corn tortilla layered with Knudsens with a dollop of La Victoria Salsa Ranchera...I would kill for it, I would...

They don't have junk food here because Thai's are not fat... or was it the other way around... Hmmmmm

Corn chips are hard to find (the local Bangkok brand is really bad with old oil taste) but Foodland here in Bangkok has had a Pringles type in triangle shape package in Salsa and Pepper flavors lately that are really good tasting so you might find somewhere in Chiang Mai. These are thin chips however.